Topic of the Week - Rat Ogres - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Keeper of Records and Ale King Ulrik Flamebeard's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1372 (x8)

Topic of the Week - Rat Ogres

This is the start of a new series, that will hopefully bring new ideas and tactics to the forums. Each week, a new topic will be posted up about a different unit in the army book. This gives you your chance to discuss the unit to its fullest. So, please leave your comment!

Do you take them? How many per unit? What are the best options for them? How do they work in your army?

Discuss

Kuffy

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think the best way to run them is either in small units 3-6. Or a huge block with skweel. Skweel would really be useful anytime though in a unit of rat ogres.

Ive only play-tested with them a little (and by a little i mean twice), but in my clan moulder army they seem to have done well.
    ...and you do the Hokey Pokey and you turn yourself around, thats what its all about.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    172 (x7)

I like them, You have to be careful about shooting because the packmaster can get shot out of the unit and then your rat ogres suffer from stupidity, but thats a risk I am willing to take.

I run them in units of 3 with a master moulder. The MM is a good addition since he is tougher and has more wounds then a packmaster, and he can actually contribute to the combat. The Master bred ogre is also an upgrade worth considering, for bonuses to attack, initiative, and weapon skill it gets.
    "I am the architect of fate!"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I quite like having 2 rat ogres with a packmaster. They are great on the flank and due to their unit size don't get shot at much.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    28 (x1)

I've tried them as 2 with 1 packmaster and 4 with 2 packmasters. I find them to be a point sink that is faaaaaaaaar to easy to kill. At 2 with 1PM they are easy to just shoot out the packmaster, at 4 strong they are more resilient but just cost too many points for a unit that is still easy to kill. The low WS also means they struggle tearing up the units i want and usually miss their attacks which for their points they can't afford IMO. I'm abit sad about them because i love the models and fluff (hence why i squeeze them in when possible) but everytime i've fielded them they've just given away points that i could have used for more static combat blocks, a couple of censer bearer units, jezzails etc. For me their is just better options that are harder to squeeze easy points from and can be just as damaging.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They are pricey compared to their cheaper Clanrat brethren, but generally make up for their point cost by working as highly effective shock troops. Loosing Packmasters can be problematic, but such is the cost of taking them. They also make surprising pincushions and arrow magnets. Your opponent will often pour all available arrows and lob lots of magic missiles into your ogres. Although this may kill them (unsurprising), it should allow the core of your army, the Clanrats, to engage the enemy in combat relatively untouched by missile fire. If, through some sly Skaven strategy, you can keep them alive long enough to engage in combat, they are great at killing knights and are surprisingly good flank chargers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I find rat ogres to be a great flanker. I have them in packs of four (I save Skweel for my 18 Giant Rats) with a MM leading them. Equip 'im with a sock and he pwns!
    Blood Angels (W-D-L) : 6-1-2

Senior Member stayscrunchyinmilk's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    370 (x8)

I'm quite fond of them, and have been using 3/4 currently although i'll break out 6 soon (you can still attack with whips from the back unless i'm mistaken - bit grey there but hopefully common sense prevails)
    You'd get full attacks from the 2nd rank ogres, and the whips too.

I just read the FAQ's and... that's odd, I like master moulders (esp in small units as they have 2 wounds) but they have to go in the front rank as they're champions... not so fond of them now, but odder still in the Q&A bit, last page, mid right - apparently you can pick a army with 2x rat ogres and 2x packmasters.... Really? That's not what i'd read at all, but it's there in black and white in the FAQ. Master moulders will no longer be used by me.

I love them as a solid flank unit, and i'll be investigating a chieftan on bonebreaker soon (shame he can't be hidden normally, but he can in rat ogres)
    And besides, you get ogres in IoB and the battalions, May as well use them.

Shire can't handle me Warlord Vrrmik's Avatar
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    2085 (x8)

Rat Ogres are great. They are not only great flankers in packs of 2 or 4, but serve as a great shock unit when you have 6 with monstrous support and a master moulder. They cause fear as well, which always helps. They have like 4 attacks with a combined S5 so is an awesome heavy infantry/cavalry killer. If you pair them up with 18 Giant Rats with Skweely on the flank with the Giant Rats all of them attacking, the attacked unit is as good as gone.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

back rank of rat ogres can only put in 3 attacks each, regardless of bonus attacks from skweel or frenzy attacks.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast