Questions - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Questions

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Questions

Hello under empire players!

I apologize for the long winded post in advance I have recently decided to take up the long endeavor of attempting to field a Skaven army, but before i do so, I have a few beginner questions/tactical questions. First, my only experience I have with the Skaven Army has been with reading the Army book and trying to accumulate as much information and knowledge as I can through forums such as this one; with that in mind, thanks LO Rat generals for all the information you have provided me, this forum has helped so much in gaining information. On to my questions. My first questions deal with more of the beginning stages of fielding a Skaven Army. How should I start? This question deals not with which units I should purchase first, but more about how I should pace myself for the long task of painting what will seem like thousands of miniatures. I am not a great painter, nor do i particularly enjoy painting as much as I like the tactical and gaming aspect of Warhammer. With this in mind, should I still attempt field a Skaven army, or should I try to field an Army that has a lesser model count? All in all, I am wondering what tactics people used here to finish their army in a decent amount of time while making the models look nice all without becoming burnt out?

My next line of questions deal with the tactical side of the Skaven army, mainly characters. First, I love the idea of the assassin, and it seems that 8th edition did him wonders considering he does not cost a hero slot anymore and models attack in strict initiative order. After a bit of speculation though i wondered why would one field an assassin? Yes, he has higher 'I' and a better 'bs', but I always find myself wondering, "Why not just field a Warlord?". Fielding a Warlord offers you the benefit of basically the same stat-line, but more importantly you can use a Warlord's leadership, which is the bane of the Skaven army. to sum up, why would one take an assassin over a Warlord? Is it purely fluff reasons, or is he actually really good at killing characters? I have a few quick last minute questions as well. How "good" are the Skaven characters compared to other races? What heroes/lords can/can't they handle?
    That is all I have for now, I am sure more questions will arise during my search for the ultimate skaven army, but thanks everyone who posts answers to my questions, and sorry again for the long winded post!

Nightminnow

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Formerly Prince of Excess EmoJosh's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    368 (x8)

Painting a lot of models isn't as hard as people make it seem. Since they're in huge blocks, they don't have to look individually brilliant and indeed shouldn't. Skaven are dirty, not immaculate Elves. Just approach them in a way that makes sense to you and put in a reasonable amount of effort. Rank them up as you go to get an idea of the complete picture.

Skaven Assassins are very bad, having no great Wargear options. A character with a good armor save will kill him every time. To even be near a real Assassin you'd need Weeping Blades and the Strength Potion, but I still don't like them even than, personally.

Skaven characters are best with Magic and making your hordes not break, also Warlocks can have some fun Wargear for little cost. They're not great fighters, they're just supposed to stay alive while your army does the winning.
    Check my Blog for Battle Reports, useless ranting and more! Comments appreciated.
    Like to talk Warhammer or want some advice on Armies or Tactics? Drop me a PM!

Senior Member Punching Gnoblars's Avatar
    The warp somewhere, took a left at Comorragh and got a little bit lost...
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you wish to play Skaven your in for a treat. They are now one of the best if not the best army around as the new 8th ed rulbook recently came around,they have high movment, low point cost and hight initiative. The down side is that there are lots of models to paint and build.

I highly recommend getting 30-40 rats(clan rats,giant rats, storm vermin etc) because if you get 20 rats and you loss 1 rat they remove a rank thus loss a precious Ld. I also recommend getting a spear if possible as you need to maximize your combat killing ability.

With the new 25% rules you should be able to field a warlord which has Ld 7!!!

I don't recommend getting an assassin as they are too pricey and venerable.

Good luck with your Skaven if you chose to get them, and i advise praying to the Great horned rat once to twice a day to maximize luck and enhanced hearing.

+ Reply to Thread