Weapon Teams - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Weapon Teams

Senior Member Punching Gnoblars's Avatar
    The warp somewhere, took a left at Comorragh and got a little bit lost...
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Weapon Teams

Hi, thinking about weapon teams recently and i was wondering what other people think.

So whats your favorite weapon team, Warpfire thrower, Ratling gun,Doom-Flayer or Poisoned wind mortar?

My favorite is the Poisoned wind mortar, not only can it move and fire,automatically wounds on 4+,ignores armour saves but there is also a cool looking fig from IOB which is perfect.

cya

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    476 (x8)

I like the idea of the Mortar. I've forgone any weapons teams for the sake of more bodies...or a 2nd Doomwheel, it depends on your perspective . My Skaven opponent had one when I last played him with Chaos - first turn it missed, 2nd turn it misfired and exploded (as did the ratling gun in the same phase!). I think I'll crowbar one in at 3k, should I ever go that far (I'll have the models, but who knows about the inclination...).

Having an army and not owning a rulebook is like owning a car with no steering wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by amishcellphone
    <3 rork. He does all the arguing so I don't have to.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    29 (x1)

Poisoned wind mortar for sure! Otherwise a warpfire thrower. Ratling gun is to risky and didn't have a chance to play the doomflayer yet..

Shire can't handle me Warlord Vrrmik's Avatar
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    2085 (x8)

I don't think I have a 'best' or 'favourite' weapon team, as they all have different pros, cons and purposes.

I won't bother mentioning Warp Grinder since it is not included in the list given by Punching Gnoblars.

Ratling Gun is great for defence, has a reasonable strength and a nice range. The problem is that it is very risky, however I find in my games I end up still hitting a target anyway.

Warpfire Thrower is great for offence, has a nice strength buffed by the additional -2 to save, but it's chance for the range can be annoying, and if you misfire, you have a 1/6 chance of not blowing up.

Doom Flayer is the only close combat weapon team, and I find it is good when buffing Stormvermin. The main problem is that it usually dies before it even gets into the fight.

Poisoned Wind Mortar is the most versatile weapon team, and is a great all-rounder. I don't think there are any major flaws with this, and it is nice and cheap.

Overall, I think if you just want a good weapon team, start off with a Poisoned Wind Mortar. This is where the Island of Blood boxed set comes handy, because you get a Warlord, Warlock, 20 Spearmen Clanrats, 20 Swordsmen Clanrats, 2 Rat Ogres, a Master Moulder, as well as a Poisoned Wind Mortar and a Warpfire Thrower. It is an excellent set, with great looking models. I especially like the Warlock Engineer, but that is besides the point. All weapon teams are good and work well together if you can use them properly.

Formerly Prince of Excess EmoJosh's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    368 (x8)

If I HAD to take one, it'd be the Fire Thrower. The Mortar does to little damage to justify the cost, especially if the enemy lacks elites. Fire Throwers can melt half a unit and keep on going, if you think ahead and get a tad lucky. Plus Skaven has little in terms of Flaming Attacks, Hydras anyone?
    Check my Blog for Battle Reports, useless ranting and more! Comments appreciated.
    Like to talk Warhammer or want some advice on Armies or Tactics? Drop me a PM!

Senior Member Punching Gnoblars's Avatar
    The warp somewhere, took a left at Comorragh and got a little bit lost...
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thx for all your advice much appreciated.

+ Reply to Thread