New guy to warhammer aand skaven, would like some advice! - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New guy to warhammer aand skaven, would like some advice!

Hello all, I have been looking through the forum for a while now and have got some great ideas and tips! I am fairly new to warhammer and have decided on the Skaven Army. I have been playing with my group for the past month or so and have been taking it slow...starting with warbands and growing the point totals each week to get familiar with the rules, units, and flow of the game. We are currently doing 1000 points this week and I am a little stumped as to how to best build my skaven army. I have the skaven batallion from the army of blood and have gotten some supplimental units as well. So far I have about 75 clanrats, 2 rats ogres with a packmaster, chieftan/warlord, a grey seer, deathmaster sniktch, warlock engineer, rattling gun, warpfire thrower, poison wind mortar....thats it for now....have 20 plague monks coming to me, but won't get them in time.

Here is the big question: With these units (proxies are allowed in our group, as well) what would be the best army I could build with my 1000 points? I am thinking of using a huge horde unit of clanrats along with a smaller one with a weapon team attached...other than that....stuck! Any help is appreciated!!! Just looking for a fun army that won't get stomped!

cheers,
    James

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Shire can't handle me Warlord Vrrmik's Avatar
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    2085 (x8)

Good choice! I would suggest a 50 man horde of Clanrats with a Grey Seer and a Ratling Gun, then a smaller group of 25 with a Warpfire Thrower and a Warlock Engineer. Make your Chieftain a Battle Standard Bearer, as Skaven are very prone to having half their army scurry away before they do anything. You need more supportive units! Warplightning Cannons, Doomwheels, more Rat Ogres, Giant Rats, Plague Monks, and many more! If proxies are allowed and you have a few normal men or elves or dwarves or what have you lying around, then have a group of Stormvermin and chuck your Standard Bearer in that. Along with Rat Ogres, that should be around 1000 points. If you go over, ditch the Rat Ogres.

Hope this helps.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree with Warlord Vrrmik, you defo want to have a niice big unit of clanrats for your grey seer. As for the ratling gun, it normally kills more of my own rats than the enemy BUT it is a good laugh and when it works it really destroys things =] Doomwheels are great too but be sure to give them a unit of slaves to zzap while you advance. A battle standard is a must! I also have huge faith in giant rats, especially if you put skweel with them. Everyone seems to leave them alone but they can be deadly if you get a decent sized unit. I dont tend to go for rat ogres as i find most of the time they die before they do anything so i would suggest dropping them and buying more clanrats/giant rats or something more fun like globadiers. I love warlocks, try giving one a warp condensor, it makes wl really rather nasty =] Finally if you like a good laugh, take the dreaded 13th spell. It is the most satisfying thing in the world turning your friends units into rats xp

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thanks so far!

thanks for the advice. The group I play with are hardcore rules guys...so they are sticking fast to the " No lords until we hit 2000+. Isn't the grey seer a lord? lol.
    Last edited by jmp782; January 15th, 2011 at 05:54.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    120 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by jmp782
    thanks for the advice. The group I play with are hardcore rules lawyers...so they are sticking fast to the " No lords until we hit 2000+. Isn't the grey seer a lord? lol.
    But you can take a lord at 1k in 8th... :s

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great. So you recommend fielding a grey seer in a unit of clanrats, or seperate and behind them???? Also, where would eb seer be best utilized, in the front ranks or rear ranks of the unit of clanrats. If it is in the rear od the unit, wouldn't this effect his spell casting in negative ways....such as LOS and such? Any other general skaven army building strats and unit ideas would be helpful!!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

one more thing

Also, I can't fid in the rule book I got with IOB about being able to use lords for armies of 1000 or more....can anyone tell me where to find it so I can show my buddies? lol
    Last edited by jmp782; January 15th, 2011 at 05:55.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    141 (x3)

page 134 - 135 are the army requirments. Here you can see that you can spend up to 25% on lord, spend up 25% on heroes, you must atleast have 25% core, spend up to 50% special and up to 25% to rare.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    31 (x1)

If they are 'rules lawyers' they should know already

It changed to percentages in 8th like it used to be in earlier editions, as opposed to min/max unit numbers as in 7th edition, its better now imho.

The Grey Seer would be devastating at 1000 points but would suck up a large chunk of them, I would have a Warlord for my lords with a Halberd (simple and choppy), a chieftan BSB (with a magic banner if points allow) and a Warlock Engineer upgraded to level 2 with Warp Energy Condenser for my heroes.

For core I would probably have a unit of 30-35 Clanrats which the Warlord and BSB sit in and a PWM as the weapons teams, I would also have a unit of 40 slaves which the Engineer can sit with.

With what you have available I would add in the 2 ROgres with packmaster and you should be close to the 1000 point mark.

Hope this helps a bit,
    LK

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you are going to take the gs stick him in the clanrat unit. Gives him a bit more protection. If you are about to go into combat or you get into a sticky situation you can always use skitterleap to get him out the way. You wont be able to afford it yet, but when you get to 2000 points give him a screaming bell. It increases his los, makes his unit unbreakable (so putting him with 40 storm vermin is nasty =]) gives a 6+ armour and a 4+ ward save and has magic resistance 2. Plus when you ring it sorts of fun things can happen =] If you are going to get some plague monks think of getting a plague priest. ws5, t5, with 3 attacks and frenzy. And the spells of plague are awesome!
    Prey they don't take you alive...

+ Reply to Thread