Winning with Skaven. - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Winning with Skaven.

Hi all,

So I am having problems winning with skaven. Now I know I can go with 2 HPA's to be competetive but I don't want to cheese. So i am having a hard time killing anything CC oriented. My std list is 2 or 3 groups of Clanrats 50 strong, 30 Stormvermin 6 Jezzails, an HPA, Cannon, Doomwheel, and then odds and ends. Just curious on what I am doing wrong. Now I usually play a Dark Elf, Empire, and High Elf. The DE is just a CC monster with hatred, HE are also good at CC with their ASF and *hatred* and the Empire is a 40 block of greatswords, group of 10 knights w/ Templar Grand Master, and a stank. Then some artillery and infantry.

Just curious how you guys get skaven to win. Thanks.

Armies: 40k: Imperial Guard, Orks Fantasy: Skaven

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ok well i usually play 1.5k games so my options are limited but magic would be a great help to you... a grey seer or something would really boosy your killing power. And do you ever use slaves? i have found slaves to be inaluable in all my games in 1.5k i take 3 units of 25 each with a BSB in there for the LD bubble they become unmovable and very annoying in CC just because they wont run. Gives you a chance to get good flank charges etc.. alsotry a decent size unit of plague monks against s3 enemies with their T4 they will be a decent tar pit but also they can do dmg in combat. Hope this helps

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    31 (x1)

Slaves! They are useful and dirt cheap! I currently just run 2 units of 30 of them although most people run more units and larger ones, I find it boring to just tarpit things with them, with my two units of 30 I have an Engineer in both, one with a Doomrocket and one with a Deathglobe, these just allow for a bit of killing (and amusement) and Ld8 with SiN, just remember you can't shoot at the slaves combat with the Engineer in as he doesn't have the Expendable rule.

I would also agree with Grave Guardian in that a Grey Seer would be an excellent addition to your list, what wizards does your list currently contain?

LK

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have played 5 games so far in 8th. 2 at 1500 3 at 2400. In 4 of the 5 games I ran a gray seer. Each time he has exploded on a miscast (DBL 1.) I will no longer take him as he has removed at least 7 Stormvermin each time and in one game that was enough for me to lose. (was ahead by 150 then that happened wiped out my SV and GS and that was almost 550pt swing.

Slaves are great if you run them 40-50, otherwise they die turn 2 and then the DE just turn and face you after one turn and slaughter your flanker, or they do a stacked flank so you can't get a flank off. Also if your clanrats run once they are gone. So even a steadfast 40 strong Clanrat unit takes a LD test fails on a 12 and flees theres very little chance they rally. I feel that killy units are way OP in this edition and are hard to win against.

The only way i have found to counterbalance the killy units is tool my Lord w/ the +3atk sword so he just chews through ranks and this counterbalances their units until they bring their own tooled up hero.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    320 (x8)

I don't play these filthy rats myself, but i have faced them a few times with my goblins, what i found most annoying were the plaguemonks (as GraveGaurdian allready noted theyre T4, works wonders against my infantry.) and the slaves. Slaves are so cheap its not fair anymore :p Dunno how many points those monks are though, so maybe theyre not worth it.
    Eternal Newbie

Warchief Diggah o da Bloodmoon Squiggahs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've played quite a few games with my skaven in 8th, anything from 1000 points to 3000 and won more than half. I've found that gutter runners are awsome with slings and poisoned attacks. Bring them on just behind war machines or just to the side of them and take them out, hitting on 4's with automatic wounds on 6's. I tend to take a unit of 6 gutter runners in 1000 pt games and up to 3 units of 8 in 3000 point games, more than enough to mess things up in the opponents deployment zone. Having 2 warplightning cannons is great too, set them up in each corner of your deployment zone and aim at the same target of high toughness warriors or high elf swordmasters coming your way and kill kill kill. Or if your having trouble with a huge block of 40 greatswords then just take a plague claw catapult and some poisoned wind mortars, ignoring armour saves is awsome against empire greatswords and knights, dwarfs and chaos warriors too, even dark elf cold one knights fall to the plague.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@Digger . Plague monks suck. The low WS, Str 3 and No save means that any infantry with a semi decent amount of attacks will destroy them. I took 30 PM vs 40 Swordmen, he hit first killed 6, I hit next and only killed 2. Not a fair fight especially since he had more ranks which meant i fled on a 4 or 5. Gone never rallied again. Dont take them. I guess I could try the Catapult again. I will have to try the gutter runners next then. Are they any good against small groups of skirmishers or should I keep them away from anything except for warmachines? Thanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Plague Monks are amazing! How can you not like them? if you horde with the furnace they get around 63 attacks AND you get to re-roll misses and fail to wounds the first round (If you take their Plague banner, if you're fielding monks with no banner, you need to rethink your entire list O.o)

Even without a furnace you can easily pull off 90+ attacks first round, now figure in re-rolling misses and wounds, you just destroyed the other unit.

The furnace with a level one priest with a dispel scroll is 291 points, 35 Monks (never go less than that with a furnace) with full command and banner is 293. Now you're looking at unbreakable monks plus all the stuff the furnace does. It eats anything in it's way (if you take Skrolk making Monks CORE choices it helps, plus if you get Wither, nothing can go toe to toe with you anymore).

As for a general idea on how to win with Skaven other than HPA cheese. Cannons are amazing, gutter runners are our Great Eagles, 5 wide 8 deep slaves will never break from combat... And if they do break, you're looking at around D3+3 min hits.

I do this in games of around 2k:

Deep slaves as tarpits
    poison wind globadiers + Poison wind mortar shooting into the tarpit.

HPA runs straight into the nearest fight with a Lord in it.

Do your best to bounce cannons just over the head of your slaves.

a few units of gutter runners with slings and poison attacks to kill warmachines or stalk an enemy and shoot them, then make a flank/rear charge when able.

A furnace charging straight down the field with slaves on the flanks to protect.

and most important, an assassin! Use them to come out with some gutter runners and then get him into combat with the enemy mage (if they bunker it on their side), direct all your attacks to it. You lose an assassin, they lose a mage, it works wonders.

with even a simple set up like that, your opponent has one heck of a time dealing with it. Some of their units are locked into combat AND still being shot at (slaves rock).

HPA makes short work of anything without flaming attacks.

Gutter runners eat lobbers and archers like it's their job.

Assassin hunts as a disposable unit that kills more points than you lose.

Furnace sucks up most magic/shooting leaving your fragile things like Globadiers to get into a spot to shoot at close range.

That's how I normally play it out, and it works really well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It sounds to me like you are having dreadful dice rolls and blaming it on the army. I almost always take a grey seer at anything over 1000 points, and FORCE miscasts on myself to get that "certain" spell off. Not once has he died. If you find your units getting hacked up in CC, then you need more ranks. Rats are there to die in droves but stick around due to steadfast. Have a BSB hanging around and you have giant blocks that are not going anywhere fast. This gives you a chance to flank with your HPA, Monks, Ogres or what have you. There are not many 'horrible' units in the skaven army, it all depends on how you run said units.

+ Reply to Thread