A Guide to the Battle Standard Bearer - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Member stayscrunchyinmilk's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    370 (x8)

A Guide to the Battle Standard Bearer

Considering how vital he is I thought i'd do a guide on Him and his equipment options to help people decide on how to equip him.

A Brief overview

The BSB for a skaven list is a Chieftan. His stat line isn't amazing but he is fairly cheap. He comes with a hand weapon and Heavy Armour, and be equipped with a variety of basic equipment and the scavenge pile. He won't win many challenges but he should kick the bejeezus out of standard infantry and last a decent amount of time vs them.

please, please stop giving him a great weapon. don't waste that great Initiative and also give the opponent a extra reason to target him with rank and file before you strike.

There are in my opinion three ways of running the BSB:

1) Bare bones
    This is a upgrade to BSB with some basic equipment - No magical standard or magical equipment. This variety is useful for the tactic of having him sit in a small unit of clanrats behind your main blocks that fight combats, thus staying safe from Incoming combat and Shooting. He is kept without any equipment as he's not in combat, so it's a waste of points.

2) Magical Equipment
    This is kitting him up to beat things, but not using a magical standard. There are two negatives on doing this:
    A ) He only has a 50 point Magical Equipment limit and
    B ) You're pretty restricted where you can take magic banners in a skaven list (three slots basically - A Stormvermin, a Plague Monk and here.) so I rarely use this option

and I used to ignore this, but have changed my mind as his survival is so important

Some Ideas on how to equip him:
    1) Add a shield - The enchanted shield is a good choice here, OR give him a standard shield and dragonhelm (it's a mighty 2 points more total, but you get the same save and a 2+ ward vs fire, and a good conversion option
    2) Add armour -
    I like the armour of glittering scales (-1 to hit? add rival hide talisman for extra cheekiness)
    Warpstone armour (you even add to combat res if targeted by the opposing rank and file - very nice, and you still keep the shield / HW invun save,
    (a luckstones may also work here, with enough points for a tail weapon too.)

3) Magical Standard
    He isn't allowed Magical Items (with a standard), but he CAN have items from the scavenge pile, including magical equipment from the scavenge pile (see faq)

Basic and Scavenge Equipment of note:

Shield - With your hand weapon this provides a 6+ ward save and 4+ Armour save (in combat). For peanuts. There is no other way of getting a ward save on a BSB with a magic standard. I highly endorse this - It makes a fragile yet important model much more survivable for so little.

Tail Weapon - Add a extra attack? You didn't have magical weapons anyway. (yeah, you drop a STR but c'mon now, it's not many points)

Poison Attacks - Make his attacks (Including the Tail weapon) poisonous - This is good although not that cheap. It's a difference of opinion really of if you like it.

The Standards
    War Banner
    - This is my staple, It's simple, effective and not too many points.

Sacred Banner of the Horned Rat
    - This is very expensive, however I think this a great banner - making your opponent re-roll successful LD tests at -1 ? The only fear is he won't last long enough to use it if you are engaging combat units with him.

Storm Banner
    - This is definately in the top three choices - For one turn (or with luck longer) if completely stuffs up shooting (and flying). Do not overlook this - sometimes that one turn is the turn you're close enough to be mauled before charging - This is ideal.

Great banner of clan superiority
    - I quite like this, but not on a BSB. He goes in my 10+ wide hordes, thus my ranks aren't that deep, so the possible 1-2 increase in combat resolution just doesn't grasp my intrest. This is for stormvermin really.

Shroud of dripping death
    - If only you could put him on a larger base. It isn't for me really.

Banner of the Under-empire
    - I love this banner, It gives 2D6 hits at the start of combat (that count towards combat res) - ok, they're STR 2 but I love this, my plague monks commonly get it.

Dwarf Hide Banner
    - Let me get this straight, You want to pay points to give your not-so-good at combat men the same rule you are giving a lot-better-at-combat opponents? and this only works vs one race, not a all comers list? Bleugh.
    It is truly rare to find something so bad in any publication by GW.

Banner of verminious scurrying
    - I thought this had great potential, but i recommend not breaking up your battle line to use it (and exposing the vunerable sides of your units)

Razor standard
    - Extra wounds for your unit - very nice (pretty much everyone and their mum and her dog has a save. Your STR isn't that good i'm afraid, so this is handy)

Lichbone pennant
    - This is interesting if you have a "death star" block with multiple characters in it. Or do things like cast death frenzy on your unit etc. and it's also cheap!

Standard of discipline
    - Not to be overlooked, this means your BSB has LD7, (and +3 with ranks for ld 10 ) which isn't to be sneered at. The generals LD is then obsolete on the equipped unit so who cares about the drawback

Banner of Eternal flame
    - don't you dare overlook this, one word: Regeneration. This stops regenerators, well, dead.

My tastes lean towards adding to Combat Resolution, so I tend to go for the War Banner / banner of Clan Superiority / Banner of the Under-Empire.
    The Storm Banner is also a very viable pick.

If you use the Dwarf Hide Banner I will hire assassins to hunt down and kill you and your litter.

Last edited by stayscrunchyinmilk; February 23rd, 2011 at 14:20.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree on basically all points. Storm banner and Banner of the under Empire are the usuals i use, as well as the Plague Banner on my monks. I tend to run my BSB very defensivly, hiding in a pack of Clanrats, sometimes with a ward save item, sometimes with the storm banner. Leadership tests run rampant through out our army, Loosing him is just too scary for me.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    141 (x3)

I would go for the magic items and give him a talisman of preservation and a enchanted shield, this gives him a 3+/ 4++ save, this gives him a greater changes of surviving and thus you will have your leadership re-roll for longer.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    476 (x8)

Armour of the 4+ ward and a shield for me. Otherwise he's going to be taken down by a Chaos Warrior (or two or three lucky orcs) in a heartbeat.

Having an army and not owning a rulebook is like owning a car with no steering wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by amishcellphone
    <3 rork. He does all the arguing so I don't have to.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    141 (x3)

In this case the talisman of preservation is a better choise, as the chieftain already has heavy armour and the talisman cost 5 points less.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    370 (x8)

Maybe I should do a little list of the equipment varients
    As a thought - I think there's a cheaper way than the enchanted shield and 4+ward save:
    Dragonhelm (pretty much the same as a enchanted shield, right? wrong) and the 5+ ward save with a shield.
    It's a standard shield and standard hand weapon. There is your 4+ save (the ward saves stack) and 3+ armor save, with a 2+ ward vs flaming attacks thrown in for less.

This is also more viable as the 4+ ward and enchanted shield is illegal.
    I can't put the points down but if a item is in your army book, you pay those points. The enchanted shield is. with the 4+ ward talisman that then comes to 55 points total for magic. Just pointing it out (however you also save points in places e.g. the war banner)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    476 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by furrie View Post
    In this case the talisman of preservation is a better choise, as the chieftain already has heavy armour and the talisman cost 5 points less.
    But not when you've already given your warlord the talisman .

Having an army and not owning a rulebook is like owning a car with no steering wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by amishcellphone
    <3 rork. He does all the arguing so I don't have to.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

370 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Rork View Post
    But not when you've already given your warlord the talisman .
    Surely the BSB is more important than the General?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think they are both important. Giving them both a ward save is a good idea. The 5 extra points for the armor is a small price to pay to give them a ward save.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

370 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Meatfoot9 View Post
    I think they are both important. Giving them both a ward save is a good idea. The 5 extra points for the armor is a small price to pay to give them a ward save.
    - ah, the problem being the BSB has a limit of 50 points max on equipment, being a hero, So the 55 points doesn't work
    However, Shield, dragonhelm and the Foul pendant (5+ ward, or the main rulebook one - it's just a different name) come to 42 points (40 of which is magical) - keep a hand weapon and in combat you have a 3+ save and 4+ ward - If anything it's a good way of saving points and a excuse to convert a cool model

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast