Starting from Island of Blood, What to do and where to go - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Senior Member stayscrunchyinmilk's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    370 (x8)

Starting from Island of Blood, What to do and where to go

Due to the amount of new players (with Island of blood) I thought I'd give a little guide on the IoB army, and help as to how to continue from it.

What you have in the Island Of blood box:
    2x Units of 20 clanrats with shields, one with Hand Weapons and one with spears. Both have Full command
    1x Plague Mortar
    1x Warpfire Thrower
    2x Rat Ogres
    1x Master Moulder
    1x Enginseer
    1x Chieftan

Now, The points and equipment aren't put in IoB (very helpfully) but one bit of advice that is needed is this:

You need to get the Skaven Army Book

Now for a Summary of the Island Of Blood models (assuming you know the very basics of WFB rules ) :

1 ) Clanrats x20 with Shields and Hand weapons, Full Command
    - This unit costs 110 points. The shields, with hand weapon gives you a 6+ ward save after armor saves (if engaged in combat from the front)

2 ) Clanrats x20 with Shields and Spears, Full Command
    - This unit costs 120 points. You can attack with an extra rank (with the spears) exept on the turn you charge. (I recommend not attaching them too solidly, as I took mine off and replaced them with hand weapons when I could get the bits. Some people like spears. Personally, I prefer a ward save and a saving in points )

3) Warlock Enginseer with Warplock Pistol, Warp Energy Condenser, and Warlock Augmented Weapon
    - This unit costs 173 points (If you make him a L2 mage)
    # I DO NOT recommend the Warlock Augmented Weapon. I immediately replaced this arm (he then costs 128 points to be a L2 mage). Bear in mind the pistol counts as a extra hand weapon if with another non-magical hand weapon, ('+1 attack) and the warp energy condenser adds to your warp lightening magic missile, and also adds to your chanelling attempts (extra roll, success on a 5+ )

4) Rat ogres and master moulder with shock prod
    - The ogres costs 95 points (If you make one rat ogre master bred – limit one per unit)
    - The packmaster costs 53 points if you make him a master moulder and give him a things-catcher
    # I DO NOT recommend the pack master being upgraded, (to master moulder with things-catcher) as this means two things:
    1) As a champion he has to go in the front rank and is normally beaten up (and he doesn’t look good there either)
    2) the cost is horrific and not worth it. However to begin with you’re stuck with him
    however it is a lovely model.

5 ) Chieftan with Magical Hand Weapon, and a talisman and ornate armour
    - This unit costs 62 points if you gave him a rival hide talisman (opponent re-roll successful hits on him, one use only) and an extra hand weapon (+1 attack)
    # You can increase his cost a lot with better equipment and making him a warlord,
    e.g. I converted mine to have a enchanted shield, the warlock augmented weapon and other stuff as a Warlord (you can take more magical stuff) , but i could write a list a mile long of what you can do by just saying he has a different weapon. See army book / main rule book and pick one you like.

6 ) Weapon Teams
    - There are ok attachments to your clan rats (or stormvermin) and It's worth a giggle practicing with them - The mortar gives limited ranged firepower (until you start running slaves - which you can shoot in to a combat they're engaged in) it's limited use really, so without slaves the often short lived Warpfire thrower is better (stand and shoot a charging unit / you're laughing if one is foolishly close enough to be burnt to cinders) - although it has a life expectancy of nanoseconds normally. Together they cost 135 points (the mortar is just marginally cheaper )
    some people love them, some people don't - I don't personally rate any weapon team, exept perhaps the ratling gun but that's just me.

So one set of IoB will give you 748 points worth of troops. (If equipped in the basic manner above)

Oh, the restrictions on choices : no more than 25% of any: Lord, Hero or Rare, Up to 50% special and a Minimum of 25% Core)
    (25% of 750 points is 187.5 points. Don't exceed this / do exceed this.)
    This actually leads to a slightly illegal hero selection, but c'mon, it's the beginners set. I can't imagine anyone complaining.
    OR make the Chieftan a Warlord and add a Ironcurse Icon (Enchanted Item, in the main rule book, he and the unit he's with get 6+ ward vs war machines) and make it a 800 point game

Advancing after IoB
    Well, what do you get next?
    A lot of people will say they want this and that, but seriously gents, there isn't really a right or wrong answer
    (Well there could be a lot of wrong answers I suppose, depending on your perspective and opinion)
    What will affect your choice is your budget, your play style and what size army you want. Themed or Tournament-competitive? It's up to you.

However, a very simple and easy choice is the battalion.
    While not the cheapest thing you can get to enhance your army (in money put on the counter) , It is one of the very best cost-efficient buys

In it is:
    40x Clanrats (or 20 clanrats and 20 slaves) with options of spears, shields and command
    20x Plague monks
    2x Rat Ogres
    3x Packmasters
    6x Giant Rats (well, if you get hold of more bases there's more than 6 after the rats from the plague monks etc)

A Brief summary and tips on using this to advance your army:

Plague Monks (special) with full command, War Banner = 190 points
    - With two hand weapons and frenzy these blighters will chop up the opposition in no time at all. A good T, but no save - don't expect them to keep rank bonus at this size at all. Oh, you can add a magic banner (there are many different good ones - see my guide on the Battle Standard Bearer for a breakdown)
    - * If you don't use them at first it's worth keeping hold of them and combining them with another set of plague monks, to push a screaming bell / plague furnace. (should you get one in the future)

Rat Ogres - Drop your Master Moulder and add all three packmasters and your two ogres to your unit (+51 points.)

20x Clanrats with Shields and Hand Weapons (10no) / Spears (10no) (add 10 to each original IoB unit) = + 95 points

A new unit of 20 skavenslaves with plain old hand weapons, and a musician = 42 points.

You have leftover giant rats, an assortment of bits and your points total is 1,178 (added to the 800 point army) .

You have two real choices here for a 1,000 point army (if you have just a battalion):
    1) Drop the Rat Ogres, and add 20 odd points somewhere (e.g. add magical stuff to the Warlord)
    2) Drop the plague monks, and add 20 odd points somewhere (e.g. add magical stuff to the Warlord)
    - you can then alternate these options for variety in games !

Or, if you wanted to go over 1,000 points you can start doing things like:

Converting a Battle Standard Bearer out of a clanrat (or stormvermin if you can) and your bits (scavenge some bits off another WFB player - Ideally a despised foe / frequent opponent - to give him a impressive base / dead enemy body if you wanted to try converting.
    - that's 70 + points (and a BSB is a very good choice for your army)

Getting a Warp Lightening Cannon / Plague claw catapult
    -add about 100 points, or just a bit less

Converting a Plague Priest out of a plague monk
    - 117 points (with channelling staff and extra hand weapon)

add a Doomwheel / Hell Pit Abomination / Any unit you like the look of after leafing through the Army Book. The choice is yours!

Oh, and lastly, I also recommend Movement trays (makes moving those 30+ units sooo much easier)

Good luck and conquer the Old world for the great Horned Rat!

Here is my main thread I am doing Skaven Guidance on (It needs sorting and other additions, all in good time, but it is coming along - albeit slowly)
    http://www.librarium-online.com/foru...very-good.html (General Skaven Army Guide Yes-Yes Very Good!)

Please, feel free to comment below

Last edited by stayscrunchyinmilk; February 23rd, 2011 at 00:12.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    476 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by stayscrunchyinmilk View Post
    3) Warlock Enginseer with Warplock Pistol, and Warp Energy Condenser, and warlock Augmented Weapon
    - This unit costs 173 points (If you make him a L2 mage)
    # I DO NOT recommend the warlock Augmented weapon. I immediately replaced this arm (he then costs 128 points to be a L2 mage). Bear in mind the pistol counts as a extra Hand weapon ('+1 attack) and the warp energy condenser adds to your warp lightening magic missile, and also adds to your chanelling attempts
    I left mine as he is. They're just weapons, so I don't see any need to remove either weapon (particularly as they look cool). Just remember that the warp-energy condenser isn't channelling, so your warlock could generate two dice in one phase.

Having an army and not owning a rulebook is like owning a car with no steering wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by amishcellphone
    <3 rork. He does all the arguing so I don't have to.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stayscrunchyinmilk View Post
    You have leftover giant rats, an assortment of bits and your points total is 1,178 (added to the 800 point army) . Very annoyingly you are, so far going to exceed your limit in specials. (Plague monks = 190 add The New Rat Ogre unit = 199, total 389 points. This is only legal if you had a game of over 1,500 points (with the 25% limit restriction))
    Specials are up to 50%, Rares are up to 25%, Lords are up to 25%, Heroes are up to 25%, and Core has to be over 25%

BTW thanks for the posts great information for a young rattling.

Senior Member stayscrunchyinmilk's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    370 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Hargus56 View Post
    Specials are up to 50%, Rares are up to 25%, Lords are up to 25%, Heroes are up to 25%, and Core has to be over 25%

BTW thanks for the posts great information for a young rattling.
    Really? oh ... kittens... I've been doing that wrong since 8th came out. what a giant di.. vot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I overlooked it as well at first. On the good side bring on the Plague Monks, Gutter Runners and the Rat Ogres!