A defensive pack of clanrats? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    34 (x2)

A defensive pack of clanrats?

I was thinking of taking a clanrat pack of 30 to 40 models, full command, and equip them them shields and spears. Maybe a warpfire thrower too.

Place them on a flank, and leave them sitting there, to guard it. Maybe even near a WLC to protect it.

This might be a nice base for a Seer to sulk in.

Thoughts?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know I'm a fair newbie to actually playing, but a block of 40 fully upgraded/FC with a WFT is (off the top of my head) well north of 250pts, and closing in heavily on 300.

That's a ton of points to guard a flank (although I have no idea what pt level you're intending to play at). But still...its a damn expensive defense unit. Especially with the weapon team attached...to be worth their points they have to at least be trying to take down some enemy, not parked in a corner.

I'd think for the price to put in a couple of rat swarms or a unit of Giant Rats on the flank to protect it...perhaps even nightrunners or gutter runners. Even a giant block of naked slaves would probably be better (and less costly).

Just my opinion though, I'm a total noob to playing (0-1-1 record @ 800pts), so take what I say with a grain of salt.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You should use slaves for what your taking about. Don't even give them command, just a musician so you can swift reform if need be. You can put a 40 stack down for 84 points and it will take atleast 2 rounds to break them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In a word no. Above flanks are better guarded by giant rats, slaves and doomwheels. If you deploy your seer in any unit on a flank his spells will only be able to reach one side of the board he is better placed in the middle or nearer the bulk of the opposing army.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am a big fan of 50 clan rats with spears and shields. Horde + spears is what 4 ranks back. + a warpfire. Seems to work out better then the same unit with hand weapons and shields.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

786 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by bahgaggaga View Post
    You should use slaves for what your taking about. Don't even give them command, just a musician so you can swift reform if need be. You can put a 40 stack down for 84 points and it will take atleast 2 rounds to break them.
    THIS is what you want to do. Even better, you still want that warpfire thrower, right? Also include a minimal unit of Stormvermin with no upgrades but buy them a warpfire thrower. This is WAY cheaper than what you suggested and it works WAY better, too. Why? Because you can lock down a unit with the slaves and then fire the warpfire thrower directly into the combat! The Skaven FAQ and the flame template means you don't ever have to randomize hits: you'll ALWAYS hit enemy models only.

Even better? You still have 10 stormvermin running around as well. You can toss them into the same combat as the slaves, reinforce a different combat, use them to redirect a charge away from your main army.... Golden.

I run two of these "units" (slaves + stormvermin + warpfire thrower) in my army lists, one on each flank, and it is AWESOME.
    ninjabackhand: point and click, again, really? even after i give you an military term "shock tactic" you still call it point and click.
    RIP Warhammer 40,000: 21 Sep 1998 - 24 May 2014

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by number6 View Post
    THIS is what you want to do. Even better, you still want that warpfire thrower, right? Also include a minimal unit of Stormvermin with no upgrades but buy them a warpfire thrower. This is WAY cheaper than what you suggested and it works WAY better, too. Why? Because you can lock down a unit with the slaves and then fire the warpfire thrower directly into the combat! The Skaven FAQ and the flame template means you don't ever have to randomize hits: you'll ALWAYS hit enemy models only.

I did not see this anywhere in the faq about warpfire.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

40 slaves, 5x8 + musician

and just let them stay within 12" of your general and bsb. just 82 points for an unit of 40 models with leadership 10, re-roll all break tests and it's steadfast.

yay!
    Thou should not play frisbee with a shield drone

+ Reply to Thread