Skaven and Warhammer Noob looking for Advice - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Skaven and Warhammer Noob looking for Advice

hi all,

i've been playing 40k for years now and have decided to take on fantasy as well

to start i've bought the island of blood set as i think this will give me a good start with two armies (one for me and one for my GF) and i've decided that i'm going to do the skaven as i prefer their lore

i have totalled up the points of all of the skaven in the island of blood set, giving characters etc the gear that is suggested in the island of blood intro book and it comes out at 764pts

so what im after is advice on what to add to make the list up to 1000pts and/or what to change in terms of equipment

i have the models from the island of blood to use and i have a friend who is going to be giving me the models from his set as well as he is a big High elves fan so doesnt want the skaven models

so what do you think?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

come on guys?

ok i'll give you a list to tear appart rather than just asking for advise:

Warlord - Halberd, Tail Weapon, Talisman of Protection - 116pts

Warlock Engineer - Lvl 1, Warplock Pistol, Warlock-Augmented Weapon - 118pts

20 Clanrats - Spears & Shields, Full Command, Poisoned Wind Mortar - 185pts

20 Clanrats - Shields, Full Command, Warpfire Thrower - 180pts

10 Stormvermin - Shields, Full Command - 105pts

10 Nightrunners - Slings, Nightleader - 88pts

Master Moulder with Shock-Prod & 2 Rat Ogres - 138pts

3 Warplock Jezzail Teams - Sharpshooter Team - 70pts

total - 1000pts

i've done this list using just 1 island of blood set plus nightrunners, stormvermin and jezzails, but will have another 20 clanrats with spears & Shields, 20 clanrats with hand weapons and shields, a packmaster and 2 rat ogres, a warlord/chieftain and a warlock engineer from a second island of blood set to use if required

so what do you think?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    28 (x1)

I'd say get atleast 30 Clanrats per group. And atleast 20 Stormvermin. In a Skaven army you need big groups, You need your ranks and masses of rats. Never used Night runners so I dont really know anything about them, And Warplock Jezzails, 3 of them can cause a maximum of 3 wounds per round so you'd probably want those in bigger groups too

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    107 (x4)

Agreed you need at least 30 CR per unit. Spear units you use to get more attacks and Shield and Sword units you use to bog enemies down.

Storm Vermin, if you take units less than 20 dont bother with command. If you take 10 taken them naked and use them so you can buy a weapons team.

If you can afford it make your engineer lvl 2, get rid of the warlock augemented weapon, give him a warp energy condensor. and maybe a foul pendant if you want him as your general.

Use your warlord as a Cheiften BSB. You dont need a magic banner so it frees up some points for magic items on him. Id sugest a good armour save, look at the magic items in the back or the basic rule book (brb), theres normaly somthing good in there.

Instead of rat ogres, you could use them for now as just unit fillers (models to represent others in units) for your clanrats. in this case each rat ogre will count as 4 clanrats due to base size. Just slot them in a unit somewhere. If you want when you get more rat ogres it may then be worth fielding them as a seperate unit.

You will want at least 5 Jezzails for them to be of any use, and i would go with 6. Dont forget they only have 1 wound each, so one round of shooting from some units like (in the extreme) a unit of 10 dark elf repeater crossbowmen will probably kill all 3.

Wouldnt bother with Night Runners. However, Gutter Runners in a unit size of 10 will probably be alot better for you due to Scout ability, meaning you can use them to threaten enemy war machines.

Hope this helps.

-Saltrock-

Shire can't handle me Warlord Vrrmik's Avatar
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    2085 (x8)

The advice given here will suffice. I second it.

+ Reply to Thread