Welcome to Librarium Online!
Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!
Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!
Hey guys few questions thinking dimly of starting the skaven army I have been out of the game since 8th ed
First what is the model count on this army ?
Second what units are there that are just terrible that might affect my theme
Third dose anyone know any tricks or tips for making the army cheaper
And are there any must have units
And if any one could point be to a general takitica that think is good that would be apprenticed
Any help would be good
also just as an aside are rat swarms any good as i have in inherited a large number of them
1. The model count for this army depends on game size. Mine is usually around 200.
2. I don't think there are any 'terrible' units as such, but there are some that aren't as good as others. First of this is Night Runners, which aren't anywhere as near as good as they were last edition (I use mine as Gutter Runners now, which are arguably one of the best units this edition). Nothing in the army book is particularly crap, what you have all depends on your theme. Named Lords are all up to player opinion, but if I do use one I use Ikit Claw. He's quite good.
3. I'm assuming you mean money-wise when you say 'cheaper'. I'd suggest eBay. There are very, very good army deals out there (check out Discount Games Store), and you can generally get well set up for not too much money.
4. Must-have units again depend on the army list, but overall, I'd award top three (in order) to Warp Lightning Cannon, Grey Seer, and Gutter Runners. They are really just spectacular units that you can't afford not to have. Why? The Warp Lightning Cannon is arguably the best war machine in the game, the Grey Seer is just great and fun to use (and his Dreaded Thirteenth Spell is deadly), and Gutter Runners just help you when you need it most.
5. A tactica can be found here http://www.librarium-online.com/foru...ca-2012-a.html (*DRAFT* How to Skin Friends and Assassinate People - Skaven Tactica 2012). It isn't stickied because it is missing just one little sub-section but that is the one that is the most up-to-date.
6. Rat Swarms... hmm. They aren't bad, it's just a question of whether the points could be better spent elsewhere. Think hard enough and there's always a worthy substitute
Hope that helps.
As for your third question and I'll assume the same as our good Lord Vrrmik, being an Aussie and trying to play a horde army is extremely painful on the wallet, there are a couple of good ebay buyers out there and there is one bloke in the states that sells at a discounted rate off the US prices and has extremely cheap P&H internationally (you can pick up 3 copies of the skaven IoB army including P&H for less then $A140, which is cheaper then buying 3 boxes of clanrats!!!!) Not sure about LO's rules about posting the details but if you want them just PM me.
Warhammer Armies: High Elves, Tomb Kings, Daemons of Chaos
Warhammer 40k Armies: Chaos Daemons
Bloodbowl Teams: Mean Machine (Dwarves)
I like to use cheap night goblins from the BFSP sets as slaves... (and the dwarfs too!!)
It is fluffy! and you get 60 slaves for very cheap, you may need to modify the spears into staff slings, and/or the bows into hand weapons(make little pointy daggers...)...or keep the spears as a bonus, no mods!!
I also like the old skinks from the 5th edition starter as slaves too, they can be modified to have skaven shields/hand weapons, etc... too, the tiny bracelets on the arms make great schackles and the bows modify like the goblins above.
I also hear gnoblars make great "pinkies" (small hairless mice)
My BIG project is to collect enough 20mm bases models from EVERY opponent army (except crumbling undead...), 13 in total, to play my slaves based on my opponent
Nothing like saying in your face!! by using his own models/troops against him...unfortunately the lizardmen lose amphibious, so I model hooks in the gills for effect! Put them on a stringer!! or Chains, etc...
Last edited by warhammerpainters; May 5th, 2012 at 00:20.
1. Most block troops are 30-40+, then there's your war machines and monsters, so you're looking at a large amount of models .
2. Their not useless, but I'm going to say that giant rat packs and rat swarms, lost their place to skavenslaves . As already stated, some units lost their "punch", in the current book.
3. Taking a look on ebay, isn't a bad idea . The battalion box is "eh", in my opinion, unless you're planning on using a lot of plague monks, giant rats, and rat ogres .
4. I would say a grey seer (lord), a chieftain as your battle standard bearer (hero), and 2 warp lightning cannons (a rare choice each), are your "must haves".
5. There's quite a number of tactics, so it really depends on what you're asking . Normally, you'll be using skavenslaves to tie up elite units, so you can fire into that combat. Your WLCs should always target monsters first. Etc ...