Deathwatch army? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    30 (x1)

Deathwatch army?

So, turning my attention back to the Imperial forces i was doodling around with some test models and somehow got to paint a Deathwatch Marine.

Im really drawn to the possibility of painting and modelling a whole bunch of different chapters and then tying them together into a single force using the Deathwatch theme.

But is it possible to make an entire army (say 1500-2000 points) out of Deathwatch and still make it feel both fluffy and competitive?

What do you guys think? My idea is to use Codex Space Marines as the base, some units in the codex should fit right up the Deathwatch alley (Sternguard, Librarians), some are perhaps doubtful but at least probable (bikes, jump packs, Land Raiders) and some choices feel really off in a Deathwatch army (Terminators, dreadnoughts, predators).

If i decide to try and be a bit more hardcore then the Deathwatch would probably not have access to all the stuff in CodexM. Therefore im thinking of using ally units from Codex: Daemonhunters or Codex: Witchhunters or even using "counts-as" models to represent various choices (IST:s for scouts and Techpriests for Techmarines are pretty obvious but ideas for more obscure stuff like Karamazov-style walkers for Dreadnoughts and Xeno(Tau/Eldar)-style Land speeders (Vypers or Piranhas) have crossed my mind.

Any thoughts, ideas and suggestions are more than welcomed!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    256 (x4)

I've always liked the Deathwatch and I was disappointed they never gave them a Codex when doing Daemonhunters and Witchhunters.

A Deathwatch themed army would look pretty cool. Are you going to use the convesion pack from GW for your marines? The helmets and guns are pretty sharp in my opinion. I know there was a rules set for them some time ago, but they're not legal anymore. If using them with C: SM you could develop your own rules for friendly games, or just use them in conjunction with the DH or WH codices.

As far as C: SM units to take with them you could always stick with the vehicles and units available to other Inquisition forces (Rhino, Land raider, etc.). I'd stay away from using any Xenos tech for 'counts as' since Xenos equipment would be un-fluffy for them.
    Last edited by Chirality; June 22nd, 2009 at 15:04.
    "Into the fires of battle, unto the anvil of war!"
    -This space for rent-
    Salamander project log

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    457 (x8)

Well, there are a lot of factors to consider, and most of them involve your personal preference.

The biggest problem with an all-Deathwatch army is, well, the Deathwatch aren't made for that. They're the chamber militant of the Ordo Xenos, and by themselves can't constitute a whole army any more than sisters of battle or grey knights can. They are an attachment to an existing army, which means you'll have to accept that some non-Deathwatch units are going to be in the mix, especially if you're following another army's codex to the letter, along with the DW rules.

First off, the best way to begin, especially in a standard SM army, is to max out the number of Deathwatch choices. It's been a while since I read the rules, so I don't know where they sit on the FOC, but I THINK they are Elites. That means maxing them out will cut out everything in the Elites section of the codex, so no terminators, sternguard, dreads, etc.

After that, I don't think fluff will stop anything, really. You could choose pretty much any SM chapter (or make your own), and add pretty much anything else from the codex.

Now, you mentioned branching out into Inquisition forces. This is perfectly viable, too, but things are getting so muddy you might consider scrapping the idea of using Codex: Space Marines and joining up with the =I= altogether. From a fluff perspective, the Ordo Malleus (Daemonhunters) and Ordo Hereticus (Witch Hunters) are known to work together in limited fashion, so putting Ordo Xenos (Alien Hunters) units into the mix makes perfect sense.

Now, if you are dead-set on building an army that is entirely Ordo Xenos, you'll need to do a "counts as." I personally would use Daemonhunters with Deathwatch attachments. Your standard DW dudes take up as many FOC slots as possible (Elites? Again, can't remember), and you put a Daemonhunters Inquisitor with retinue in charge. You can call him an OX Inquisitor, and tool him up with a psycannon. Then, add the standard "shooty" build: Two sages, one mystic, three gun servitors (two heavy bolters, one plasma cannon), and maybe three acolytes with bolters. That's a solid unit and a fantastic firebase, albeit a bit static. Remember, there are no rules as to what models you HAVE to use for the inquisitor or his/her retinue.

Use Grey Knights as your troops, but don't forget, this is a "counts as" army, so if you can model normal SMs with storm bolters and a unique-enough-looking close combat weapon, there's no rule that says you can't paint them to match the DW, though I'd make them different enough so as not to confuse your opponents.

For vehicles, you can buy some land raiders for heavy support for the GKs, but that could get pricey. Dreads are not out of the question here, and again, you could paint them in your own OX color scheme (there is no official scheme beyond the Deathwatch, that I know of). Fielding some ISTs is not a terrible idea, but I'd only do it for the chimera or Rhinos. Overall, ISTs aren't too useful in Daemonhunters armies (and less so in Witch Hunters). It's a shame, really, as they look awesome when painted up right.

Whew! That got long. Sorry about that. Good luck!
    Mickey: "You're just making this up as you go along!"
    The Doctor: "Yuuuup. But I do it brilliantly!"

Check out my WIP thread here (Clicky!)

The rules (Clicky!) Read 'em, know 'em, love 'em.

Peace, through superior firepower.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Arn't Sterngaurd rules almost dead on with the old DW rules?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    30 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by Monstein View Post
    Arn't Sterngaurd rules almost dead on with the old DW rules?
    Indeed, but im looking to make a complete and competitive army aswell. Im pretty sure the old White Dwarf Deathwatch rules are out of print and thats why i need to use Codex: Space Marines or Daemonhunter/Witchhunter rules.

This is a list a ran versus Imperial Guard the other day. It proved pretty successful and i was able to scrap a win by exterminating my opponent in turn 5.

Its got a real "elite" feeling over it, weighing in at only 41 models at 2000 points, and that helps to add to the Deathwatch feeling:

HQ:
    Khan (goes with either of the bike squads)
    Librarian (goes with Sternguards to teleport them around)

Elite:
    10-man Deathwatch Kill-team (Sternguard in pod)

Troops:
    5-man Deathwatch Recon-team (Bike squad)
    5-man Deathwatch Recon-team (Bike squad)
    8-man Deathwatch Snatch-team (Grey Knights in Land Raiders)
    8-man Deathwatch Snatch-team (Grey Knights in Land Raiders)

Heavy Support:
    Land Raider
    Land Raider

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    459 (x8)

I have somewere a rulling for the deathwatch but cant seem to find it anyhow.What i remember perfectly though is this:

They get the same special and heavy weapons as a regular SM squad.
    They can be taken as an H.Q. choice if chosen as command squad
    They count as elites otherwise and you can't(for this i aint so sure)field more than one squads.
    They have true grit much like the SW.
    They are fearless

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    30 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by pilot00 View Post
    I have somewere a rulling for the deathwatch but cant seem to find it anyhow.What i remember perfectly though is this:

They get the same special and heavy weapons as a regular SM squad.
    They can be taken as an H.Q. choice if chosen as command squad
    They count as elites otherwise and you can't(for this i aint so sure)field more than one squads.
    They have true grit much like the SW.
    They are fearless

Yes, i have that White-Dwarf article infront of me.
    But im afraid you have missed the point of the entire thread. I was asking for ideas and comments as how to make a whole army (1500-2000 points) of Deathwatch, possibly using Codex: Space Marines or Codex: Daemonhunters/Witchhunters.
    That old WD-article is good for nothing except fluff im afraid since its banned from tournaments and other "official" gameplay.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

459 (x8)

Oo0o0o0o0o0H!I have years to check it out.Well sorry i didnt mean to boss ya around just made a suggestion .

Well that can be difficult and considering novels i've read the deathwatch was no more than a kill-team squadThe point is they are an elite alien hunters force meant to stabilize key locations and eliminate primary xeno targets.If the inquis want an army thats what the Maellus and Hereticus are no?

Anyhow id stick with Truksons list if id wanted a dw army.

P.S.All the above are coming from what i get as fluff from novels and MHO,not to discourage or play the smart guy.

Cheers!

Btw great painting the min!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Only thing I can think of to make a all Deathwatch feeling army is to max out on Sterngaurd and Vangaurd squads and use 2 scouts as troops, acting as the forward watch to call in the rest.

Basicly:

Chaplain with stormbolter

3 squads of Sterngaurd, full squad. 2 meltaguns rest with storm bolter, sarge with storm and lighting claw. In a drop pod.

2 squads of Scouts, 7 man. Camo cloaks, missle launcher and rest with sniper rifls.

Vangaurd, 9 man all with a pair of lighting claws in a drop pod.

Might also just be my insanity of not eating yet and just waking up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    96 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by Trukson View Post
    Yes, i have that White-Dwarf article infront of me.
    But im afraid you have missed the point of the entire thread. I was asking for ideas and comments as how to make a whole army (1500-2000 points) of Deathwatch, possibly using Codex: Space Marines or Codex: Daemonhunters/Witchhunters.
    That old WD-article is good for nothing except fluff im afraid since its banned from tournaments and other "official" gameplay.

If You take Sm as troops with Hbolters (no suspensors unfortunately) and choose Inquisitors as elite You can make three SM squad with heavy bolters and attached Inquisitors, but You got to take an Inquisitor lord as HQ and two troops stormtroopers and that will be fluffy if You know Eisenhorn novels. One SM captain, and an other SM tactical squad.
    So, You have
    1 Ordo Xenos Inquisitor Lord
    1 Deathwatch Captain with a Deathwatch kill team
    2 Ordo Xenos Stormtrooper squad (can be the minimum)
    3 Deathwatch squads with Inquisitor

Totally legal, fluffy, and can use loads of psychic powers as well, but the troops won`t be so unique then in the WD issue
    Last edited by Kaptin Elwazz; June 23rd, 2009 at 14:11.