Best Command Squad - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x1)

Best Command Squad

I hvae been all through this codex and I am trying to find the best hand-to-hand command squad. I haven't played with SM yet, and I only fought them once with my Imperial Guard. I need some advice from more experienced players as to what to equip them with to make them rock peoples worlds. I have:

Space Marine Captain (who will join the command squad)
    Standard Bearer
    Company Champion
    Apothacary
    Veteran Sergeant
    Marine with Assault Weapon

I would like to use these men as described, I just can't decide what weapons to hook them up with.
    Thanks in advance!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    52 (x1)

First question is what point size do you plan on using them in?

I've not had much success with command squads to be honest, and I think they can be a bit of a drain on resources at the lower point end of things.

Secondly, how to transport them? As a close assault squad, they need to be mobile to get to the enemy (or be held back for counter assault).

Not got my codex with me at work, so can't double check whether they can pod (I think they can, but I'm not 100%), which leaves them with either buying their own rhino or razor back (which will mean they can't assault on a go which the transport moves them somewhere), hitching a ride in one that another squad isn't using (same problems as above), or hitching a ride in a Land Raider variant (meaning they can assault after disembarking).

Third question is what do you see as their primary role? Tank hunters or anti-infantry?

Tank hunters - give one vet a powerfist or Thunder hammer, the asssault weapon guy(s) melta guns, and leave the standard at home. Combi-Melta for the apothecary if he can take it and you have the points to spare. The captain could either go power weapon & melta bombs (giving the squad some higher initiatve assault punch) or thunder hammer or power fist as well. Run them up in their transport and do drivebys on the enemy armour.

Anti infantry - Power weapons all round if you have the points (gets expensive quick though) and maybe one 2xLightning claws, or as a budget option, power weapon on the Captain, company champion, and BP&CCW on the rest including the apothecary, with assault weapon guy taking a flamer if you plan on dealing with horde infantry, or a melta if you plan on dealing with MEQ or better.

Other people probably have far better tactics for these guys, but that's my shot at it
    I have too many armies to list in my signature!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    431 (x8)

Bikes, 3x LC/SS/melta, Apothecary, Champ w/ TH/SS/melta

Hits like a freight train, T5, 3+/3++ FNP and 4 meltaguns. Add Khan for furious charge and H&R and even a Chaplain if you feel like being a real jerk.
    Check out ==My== blog: www.bnhblog.blogspot.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    170 (x5)

I like to keep it cheap. Before one starts going crazy with the addons, the unit itself isn't that bad.

My loadout is thus, and it is always joined by a Relic Blade-wielding Captain.
    1 Flamer, 1 Powerfist, 1 Company Champion, 1 Razorback

That way you get the Heavy Weapon coverage of the Razorback's Heavy Bolter, the Initiative Power Weapon hits from the Champion and the Captain (at S6) and the Armor-cracking S8 hits from the Powerfist.

I tend not to take a banner, simply because I use the Command Squad for straight-up assault, not necessarily Leadership. Also, it's expensive.

WHFB: Dwarfs || WH40k: Imperial Fists, Necrons || WM/H: Trollbloods || BFG: Necrons

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

quick rule question. If i take command squad, should the captain attached to the command squad in the first turn? Or he may deploy independently? thanx

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    170 (x5)

The Command Squad counts as an HQ unit but does not take up any slots in the Force Org. chart. The Command Squad is a completely separate unit from the Captain. The only relationship they have is that the inclusion of a Command Squad requires a Captain in the list.

WHFB: Dwarfs || WH40k: Imperial Fists, Necrons || WM/H: Trollbloods || BFG: Necrons

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They count as two separate units. Always take bikes with command squads as it isn't very expensive and gives them toughness 5 with FNP.

Command squad
    Company Champion
    bikes
    champion take TH/SS
    3 PW/SS on other Vets
    and if u need them for anti tank take melta bombs on all of them

This comes to 355 w/o bombs and 375 w/ bombs

If you've got bombs then it is an effective anti-tank unit and can take on infantry easily, they are also hard to kill. The champion also has the option of switching between PW or TH depending on if he wants to go at int. or not

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Champion can't take upgrades (except bike)
    Power Weapon normally weaker than Lightning Claw vs (re-roll more valuable against higher T opponents)
    Equipping the 3 vets identically reduces wound allocation options

Suggest
    (a) Champion, TH/SS, LC/SS, PW/SS, Apothecary = 325 or
    (b) Champion, TH/SS, LC/SS, LC/SS/MB, Apothecary = 330

Against strong meta, you might want a cheap body in there.
    Khan makes a great addition, but you might want to consider a bike-mounted Chaplain.

Cheers, Paul.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    194 (x7)

Well, Biker Command Squads are by far the most powerful, but they're also hellish expensive. I don't use command squads much, but I would say that a Biker Command Squad with PWs or PFs and SS would probably be your best option. Lightning Claws are also relatively cheap to take two of, so you may want to consider those as well. Then again, I'm not sure if you can take LC on Command Squads. I suspect you can though.

~ DiW

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have my one equiped with 4 flamers and one with a powerfist too, not exactly great actually in the assualt but the flamers are cheap and anything left standing after that won't really be able hold up to much when you do charge, especially with a captain with a relic blade in there too! So perhaps less flamer and more power weapons and a champion?