Space Marine Battle force questions - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Space Marine Battle force questions

I was looking at the (standard) battleforce and was thinking what a great deal it was. i was considering bulking up my assult squad to 10 man and taking a rhino, however it has 15 tactical marines which (as a BA player) are a bit useless, also taking into account that i have many other tactical marines (that i don't use).
    What else can i do with these marines (options, alternate squads etc.)
    The scouts just look like regular marines but with a worse save for a better point cost. (what should i do with them)

My SW friend is about to buy a raven wing force and give them some left over wolfy bits. How competitive would this be? Would taking a land raider counter this, i.e. turn 1 i can take out this AOBR multi melta dreadnought and then focus on killing the stuff that can't harm my land raider. (like the bikes)

Thanks,

Victory points for the victory point God!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

My backpack has JETS! Ravendove's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    545 (x8)

Scouts are cheap, useful units that can fill a variety of roles in an army. The most common use is as objective sitters. 5 x Scouts with Camo Cloaks and Sniper Rifles, camping on an objective in or near your deployment zone. However, using their Scout ability means they can alpha-strike if you get the first turn. In particular, they excel at taking out vehicles before your opponent can move then. Give the Sergeant a Meltabomb and Combi-Melta, Infiltrate 12.1" away from the enemy vehicle and when you get the first turn, Scout Move + Move + Assault means you get an auto-hitting Meltabomb.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    34 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by Clever View Post
    I was looking at the (standard) battleforce and was thinking what a great deal it was. i was considering bulking up my assult squad to 10 man and taking a rhino, however it has 15 tactical marines which (as a BA player) are a bit useless, also taking into account that i have many other tactical marines (that i don't use).
    What else can i do with these marines (options, alternate squads etc.)
    The scouts just look like regular marines but with a worse save for a better point cost. (what should i do with them)

My SW friend is about to buy a raven wing force and give them some left over wolfy bits. How competitive would this be? Would taking a land raider counter this, i.e. turn 1 i can take out this AOBR multi melta dreadnought and then focus on killing the stuff that can't harm my land raider. (like the bikes)

Thanks,

I've used to think battleforces, and the like, were good deals but I've wised up to that. Used to spend so much money, then end up with so much plastic ...

I'm likely if I used half its contents, hehe.

* I wouldn't call tactical marines ( for BA ) a poor choice. I've seen players use them to good effect. It really depends on how you play, and how you're building up your force.

* I don't have the codex with me, so I can't comment much on BA scouts. Since camo cloaks were introduced in the SM codex, most players will comment on " if the scouts don't have the cloak option, they're of little use! " At least that's what I keep hearing ...

Lol, I love you're view on Space Wolves ... Are you really that 'one-sided'? Allow me to use my thunder hammer, and tap you back to 'even'.

1. Swiftclaw packs are quite dangerous. Though only one biker can have a meltagun, we can take an attack bike with a multi-melta, and lead the pack with a wolf guard ( on bike ) equipped with a combi-melta.

Actually, every pack in OUR codex has some type of melta weapon or ability to handle transports/tanks.

2. Even as a BA player, you're going to need range firepower to tackle speedy squads/units. A LR can only aim at a single target, so what if you pop his/her dread? Is there anything else a threat? The swiftclaws with meltas? The land speeders with meltas? Does that rhino carry grey hunters with meltas ( and you know they do )? The BA has some nice tactical options in having "fast" tanks, so I suggest in using them.

3. Of course I'm getting a bit ahead of myself here, as it also depends on the skill of your opponent. How well does your friend play his/her wolves? Does he/she have every pack led by wolf guard? Is there a balance between anti - troop and anti - tank? Is there a wolf lord on a thunderwolf, wielding a thunder hammer, a storm shield, and following the sage of the bear? Hehe, yes, it depends on how well your friend plays. Even if it gets to a point you just roll over your friend, don't think all SW players are like that ...

For the record, as a SW player, I don't eat the souls of babies nor the babies themselves. I think you're mistaking us with the lunar wolves, which are now called the black legion. CSMs do things like that ...

However I do eat LRs for breakfast
    Last edited by SheBeast76; June 14th, 2010 at 12:41. Reason: silly mistakes :}

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, my friend obviously doesn't play well then, all of his infantry keep taking plasma guns and have no anti-tank (however i have no vehicles yet) but last time we played it was 1.5k points and he fielded a whirlwind (didn't get a single shot) a dreadnought, njarl stormcaller, that other hero that is really wide and name starts with an 'r', some terminators, a 5 man assault skyclaw thingy, and 2 squads of generic wolfy troops (guys made from the wolf pack not sure which)

I had a proxied terminator squad a 25 man DC, a dev squad with a lascannon and 3 ML's, a reclusiarch for my Dc, a libby with blood lance (was stretching points out a bit) a assult squad with a Power fist and 2 infernus pistols and a sterngaurd.

He got owned needless to say, and is trying to one up me by getting ravenwing, id didn't realise you SW guys got lots of melt weapons in there which could be a massive problem. However, i can attack 2 things with a land raider per turn die to the machine spirit ability, where i would have to kill anything that gets close with melta weapons.

What you are saying is that a landraider would be a massive investment that would die too easily to melta weapons. What should i get to combat his force and the ravenwing he is soon to add?

Also, i know that he is failing due to his 2 heroes (worth over 500 points, and doing about 200 points worth of damage together)

Shrubs for the Blood God Undead Bonzi's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    182 (x4)

Well, my friend obviously doesn't play well then, all of his infantry keep taking plasma guns and have no anti-tank (however i have no vehicles yet) but last time we played it was 1.5k points and he fielded a whirlwind (didn't get a single shot) a dreadnought, njarl stormcaller, that other hero that is really wide and name starts with an 'r', some terminators, a 5 man assault skyclaw thingy, and 2 squads of generic wolfy troops (guys made from the wolf pack not sure which)

I had a proxied terminator squad a 25 man DC, a dev squad with a lascannon and 3 ML's, a reclusiarch for my Dc, a libby with blood lance (was stretching points out a bit) a assult squad with a Power fist and 2 infernus pistols and a sterngaurd.

He got owned needless to say, and is trying to one up me by getting ravenwing, id didn't realise you SW guys got lots of melt weapons in there which could be a massive problem. However, i can attack 2 things with a land raider per turn die to the machine spirit ability, where i would have to kill anything that gets close with melta weapons.
    Ye gods man...if your friend is losing to that list he really needs to find someone to give him some basic tactical advice. No offense but it looks like his list is weak sauce and yours is too. Post a list in the army sub forum and get some advice on basic tactics and game play. At 1.5k your army has one unit that is fast and one unit that can score objectives and it is the same unit. Anyone worth their salt could gut your list by avoiding your devs, waxing your assault squad and then leading your DC around by the nose with a vehicle. In other words your army can be beat by killing ten guys.

Before you buy anything post some lists, read some tourney battle reports, read some tactica, proxy, then consider what you want to buy.
    The only honorable options left to we combatants is seppuku or semantics...which amount to the same thing really.
    -Undead Bonzi

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thats what this is lol...advice on what to buy, also we play annihilate games and i'm removing my DC as soon as i can use the tactical marines from something. (which i can't do at the moment without a support/transport vehicle) I'm also not looking to do the same old rhino rush and pound into the ground tactic.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    515 (x8)

Dont know how relevant they are for wolves or blood angels players, but the big box sets like the strike force, battleforce and ravenwing are excellent value for money compared to buying the kits individually. Most of the component squads are very useful, especially if you think you might want to build up to an apocalypse sized army in the future. It is a daunting pile of plastic to glue together and paint though.
    Jager bombs. Very efficient at wiping out friend or foe.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    34 (x2)

What you are saying is that a landraider would be a massive investment that would die too easily to melta weapons. What should i get to combat his force and the ravenwing he is soon to add?

Also, i know that he is failing due to his 2 heroes (worth over 500 points, and doing about 200 points worth of damage together)
    Ack, I think I just cried.

Unless playing over 2000 points, there shouldn't be a reason for two characters ( IMO ). Neither Njal ( for the points two rune priests can cover the board better ) or Ragnar ( for the points you can build a wolf lord to send your opponents crying homeward ) are bad, they're just not a good choice for a 1500 point force ( let alone on the field together ). The codex allows us to take up to 4 HQs, so I'd just your friend should take advantage.

Whirlwinds are better off used against massed forces such as IG or orks. There's enough bodies, and low enough AP, to inflect serious damage.

Dreads are always a good choice, but I prefer mine in pairs.

Wolf guard ( "some terminators" ) should always be leading the packs in your force ( where they're allowed to ). They should be rarely used in packs, unless being led by Ragnar or Grimnar.

Skyclaws should always be in packs of ten, and led by a wolf priest ( WG aren't allowed ). Arm them for their role, and let them go!

Two troop choices, eh? No wonder your friend lost. Another troop choice or two, then build around that.

For any BA force, you should a) Keep your DC in squads of 10 inside rhinos and b) Grab a lib dread with the "wings" and "lance" powers. Two choices I wouldn't pass up, as I've seen them to great effect and was entertained the whole battle

I assume your friend's purchase of the "ravenwing" is to make a swiftclaw pack? ...

I'm not saying a LR "dies" easily to melta weapons, as all vehicles do, I'm saying such large point-sinks need some planning.
    In the case of BA, what would your LR be doing? Do you have enough resources to deal with threats? Will the LR hold up your lightning-fast force?
    Land raiders will always have a place in my heart, regardless if I use them or not. Just fill them up with an assault squad, race them down the board ( while tank -shocking everything ), slam into the enemy line, and then let your squad drown out the screams of the foe ...

So use the BA's speed to get in your opponent's face, and your LR should be pretty well off ...

Unless you're facing 9 twin-linked railguns. I'd suggest praying then :}

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was planning on using my land raider to sit back and use its lascannons to destroy my opponents Armour while everything else can rush forward and not have to worry about dreadnoughts and support vehicles getting in their way.
    If you recomend another type of land raider, which one for the role you recoment... i.e. Should i take the crusader to rush forward?

How exactly do i get a furioso librarian, does the furisoso dreadnought come with force weapon attachment?

If i will be mounting my DC in Vehicles it defeats the purpose of bolt guns so i will probably get a wolf pack squad for them (better price wise), or make them wolf pack)into assault marines. The problem being: no melta weapons. I did like the look of the dark angles sprue but it will only give me enough for a Sergent w/ power weapon/fist 2 melta marines and 4 standard assault marines from 2 boxes, + 1 standard from spare parts.

yeah my friend will be building a swift claw pack and use the land speeder for deepstrike

Has anyone else had a problem with the forum lately?