Librarium Online Forums banner

Rules For Da Color Guard

1K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  Seanchadith 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey all,

I've recently been working on a unit of Ork Nob conversions, made from modified new Black Orc models. I love the squad and thought some special rules might be in order, based on fluff and the models. This is my first attempt and any help would be great.

Fluff: Da Color Guard are a group of nobz hand selected by my warboss as a body guard. Their armor is far superior to most ork protective gear, and is even better than the standard heavy armor worn by ard boyz and nobz. A host of meks attend to the armor after each battle, repairing and upgrading it constantly. Painboyz, in conjunction with meks, have linked the armor with the orks of the squad, infusing the armor and wearer in cyborg fashion.
The squad wields a deadly assortment of choppas, sharpened and attended to by the hardworking meks who care for their armor. Their armor suits have been modified to include sluggas mounted on the back of the armored gauntlets worn by the nobz. These guns are hardwired into the cyborg system of the nobz, allowing them to fire by flexing certain arm muscles. This also allows the nobz an extra free hand in battle, improving their already formidable combat prowess even further. Wielding dual choppas or big choppas, these ladz become a whirlwind of dead 'ard death on the battlefield.
These hardened nobz form a loyal bodyguard to the warboss, who is also outfitted in similar armor. They are fiercely loyal (primarily because the warboss would krump them if they ever defected!). Each suit of armor is painted a different color, thus giving the squad the name "Da Color Guard".

The squad counts as nobz but with the following special rules:

Follow Da Leader: The nobz must be deployed with a warboss, who cannot leave the unit. No other characters can join the unit, nor can a pain boy or ammo runt be taken (the nobz get jealous!).

Dead 'Ard 'Borg-Boyz: The unit's special armor gives them a 3+ save and a 6+ invulnerable save

Da Rainbow of Deff: The unit has rending attacks. Nobz may be equiped with slugga/choppa/big choppa but may not take any other weapons.`

I'm thinking an additional 13 points per model for a price increase, plus costs of any additional equipment they choose. This may seem low, and its open for debate, but when you consider certain key restrictions (no powerklaws, must be accompanied by a warboss, no painboy option), I'd say its fair.

Any comments, advice, criticisms, etc. are more than welcome, as this is a way to make my converted nobz fair and perhaps even a bit overpriced yet competitive and playable- thanks!

Oh- I'll be posting pics soon!

See less See more
#4 · (Edited)
Haha, yeah I did know about it :) One of the dudes has a drum with my clan's symbol crudely painted on, and they're all posed kind of artistically, as if some of them are raising their weapons in unison. Also, all three of the ten nobz without helmets on have wide-open mouths, as if singing/screaming something :) Perhaps I should write that into the rules :) Here goes- add this onto the first fluff and rules and add X points onto the unit's cost-

Additional Fluff: Da Color Guard also serves as both an inspiration and a threat (should they fail!) to nearby orks. Da Color Guard are highly trained to fight in deadly, elaborate, and flashy patterns. Screaming at the top of their lungs, banging eratically on an iron drum, and hefting a massive Waaagh! banner high, they are a fearsome sight to behold, and all the orks of Da Smiley Waaagh! (my warband) know the calculated yet rabid fury that they are capable of unleashing. The presence of this impressive, warboss-lead, elite mob, with their almost coreographed fighting style, eye-searing colors, and constant roaring, is enough to drive the already battle-frenzied ork horde into a psychically fueled rage.

Additional Special Rules:

Da Color Guard must purchase a Waaagh! banner.

Insparashunal: The intense presence of Da Color Guard drives nearby orks into irate killing sprees. Any friendly mob within 6 inches of Da Color Guard at the beginning of turn that normally benefits from the furious charge rule will recieve the bonuses regardless of if they charged into combat or not that turn. Friendly mobs within 6 inches may also choose to use the warboss's leadership if the mob is below 9 models.

+50 points to the unit

I'm also open to suggestions on a different effect, point cost, fluff, etc. for both these rules and the original special rules/fluff/points costs

oh, have you seen these? Games Workshop
:)

#9 ·
As far as your conversion goes I once toyed with the idea of cutting off a shoota barrel (or perhaps big shoota barrel) and mounting it on a shoulder of a boy just for looks. Shoulder mounted guns are always cool and it'd give you your free hand to hold the choppas.

Either that or mount it from the chest.

In fact, pretty much mount it anywhere on the ork... Guns protruding from random parts of the body seem really cool and orky.

#10 ·
Sounds cool! I have yet to see a pink or purple ork.

Just one thing, In the fluff, you make it seem like the meks are caring people who take pride in the aesthetics of their armour when you talk about them making and "caring for the armour" Tad unorky, but still pretty cool.

#12 ·
Pictures, compiled fluff/additional rules

williapr/Da Color Guard - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

I still have 3 more unpainted "guard" and this unit still requires a few touchups and such. I'm planning on doing a bit more highlighting on the skin (only the yellow drummer is where I'd like it).

Again, I'd still like some feedback on the points cost especially, as well as fluff etc.

Fluff: Da Color Guard are a group of nobz hand selected by my warboss as a body guard. Their armor is far superior to most ork protective gear, and is even better than the standard heavy armor worn by ard boyz and nobz. A host of meks employed by Da Guard attend to the armor after each battle, repairing and upgrading it constantly. Painboyz, in conjunction with meks, have linked the armor with the orks of the squad, infusing the armor and wearer in cyborg fashion.
The squad wields a deadly assortment of choppas, sharpened and attended to by the hardworking meks who care for their armor. Their armor suits have been modified to include sluggas mounted on the back of the armored gauntlets worn by the nobz. These guns are hardwired into the cyborg system of the nobz, allowing them to fire by flexing certain arm muscles. This also allows the nobz an extra free hand in battle, improving their already formidable combat prowess even further. Wielding dual choppas or big choppas, these ladz become a whirlwind of dead 'ard death on the battlefield.
These hardened nobz form a loyal bodyguard to the warboss, who is also outfitted in similar armor. They are fiercely loyal (primarily because the warboss would krump them if they ever defected!). Each suit of armor is painted a different color, thus giving the squad the name "Da Color Guard".
Da Color Guard also serves as both an inspiration and a threat (should they fail!) to nearby orks. Da Color Guard are highly trained to fight in deadly, elaborate, and flashy patterns. Screaming at the top of their lungs, banging eratically on an iron drum, and hefting a massive Waaagh! banner high, they are a fearsome sight to behold, and all the orks of Da Smiley Waaagh! (my warband) know the calculated yet rabid fury that they are capable of unleashing. The presence of this impressive, warboss-lead, elite mob, with their almost coreographed fighting style, eye-searing colors, and constant roaring, is enough to drive the already battle-frenzied ork horde into a psychically-fueled rage.

The squad counts as nobz but with the following special rules:

Follow Da Leader: The nobz must be deployed with a warboss, who cannot leave the unit. No other characters can join the unit, nor can a pain boy or ammo runt be taken (the nobz get jealous!).

Dead 'Ard 'Borg-Boyz: The unit's special armor gives them a 3+ save and a 6+ invulnerable save

Da Rainbow of Deff: The unit has rending attacks. Nobz may be equiped with slugga/choppa/big choppa but may not take any other weapons.

Da Color Guard must purchase a Waaagh! banner.

Insparashunal: The intense presence of Da Color Guard drives nearby orks into irate killing sprees. Any friendly mob within 6 inches of Da Color Guard (including Da Color Guard) at the beginning of turn that normally benefits from the furious charge rule will recieve the bonuses regardless of if they charged into combat or not that turn. Friendly mobs within 6 inches may also choose to use the warboss's leadership.

+55 points to the unit’s cost, +13 points per model

#13 ·
Based and Finished Models

Hey All,

I've got a couple pics of finished models, though I was having trouble uploading most of them :(

Here are a few:

http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll253/williapr/Da Color Guard/P7290490-1.jpg
http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll253/williapr/Da Color Guard/P7290470_1.jpg
http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll253/williapr/Da Color Guard/P7290468_1.jpg
http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll253/williapr/Da Color Guard/P7290469_1.jpg

Enjoy!

Again... I'd Love, love love, some feeedback on the rules/fluff :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.