Librarium Online Forums banner

5th ed FAQ and Us

1K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  Krovin-Rezh 
#1 ·
First up. This is what I mean for us to discuss.

The FAQ.
http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_...k_Oct_2008.pdf

I would like to know how everyone feels about a couple of points this raises.

1) No assaults out of transports.

2) Horrorfexes. - Can they pin fearless units?

Please compile your thoughts before reading on so that I don't pervert your trail of thought.

-----------------------------------------------------

Ok. my response.

1) Personally I see this as a stuff up and they really mean non-open topped transports.

2) To me this is another nail in the coffin for fearless units vs Horrorfexes. pinning is now short for go-to-ground accoring to this FAQ.

Anyone else?

See less See more
#2 ·
Ok, here's my two cents.

1. Based on the description in the BRB, they are only talking about closed transports. IE Eldar and Falcons, for an example. They have fleet, and are sealed. It clearly states in the rulebook that you can assault from an open topped transport/vehicle.

2. Again, in the book it states that a "fearless" unit passes all morale and pinning tests. A go to ground test is a pinning test. They can go to ground voluntarily, but can never be forced to. So no, we can not use the horrorfex against fearless troups.

I am certainly glad they finally clairified that a unit on a transport can shoot at a different target then the vehicle. Makes the gun boats even better!

Crestfallen32.

#3 ·
Perhaps it would be best to leave the first question to the thread wicky has just created (that way we have 1 thread per problem).

Also I just realised I was not specific in what I was saying on point 2.

I believe that we can forced units to become pinned even if they are fearless.

Whether I'll use this based on how dodgy some of hte other FAQ items are I dont know....

#4 ·
Ok, so the only way I can see being able to FORCE a unit to go to ground would be with the Xenospasm. And rolled really good, with lots o hits. They may elect to go to ground for a cover safe, or a bonus to cover save. Other wise, it's just a pinning test, which they are immune to. Go to ground is just a long way to say pinning. And fearless can't not be forced to go to ground as it's a pinning test. Again, it's how I read it.

Crestfallen32-LO

#5 ·
Ahh but re-read the rule.

When you do you'll realise that the unit is forced to take a Leadership test, something that they are NOT immune to.
Fearlessness allows you to ignore moral and pinning tests not Leadership tests. Also because you can go to ground as a fearless unit and pinning is the same as going to ground then you can be forced into it by the use of a horrorfex.

#6 ·
I fully agree. I've tried that on numerous occasions. But it's always said that because it causes pinning, it is a pinning test. -shrugs- Something that will get fixed in the new codex. Hopefully they fix it right. Cause the way I see it, the fex doesn't mean it's a horror to everyone. But would a Bezerker attack Khorne?

Crestfallen32-LO

#7 ·
With regard to 'Fexes.. it would seem rather silly for us to have a weapon designed for pinning units that won't work against the most common army in the game (as well as numerous selections from other armies).

Then again, our Codex is so antiquated, that it's hard to tell what they originally intended. I wish they would be more clear about it.

#8 ·
It says under Fearless USR that they automatically pass Morale and Pinning tests.
But can go to Ground as normal.
So iuf the Horrofex requires them to take a pinning test, they are immune to it.

(alas they seem to have taken down the sheet with the rules for the extra equipment, so I cannot read it.

#11 ·
Since when (other that some creative reading going against the intent) have harrorfexes been able to pin fearless units?

I see nothing here changing what has existed for an edition already.

For the record horrorfexes are still worth way, way, way more than we pay for them - I maybe use mine once in every ten games but i'll happily pay the points for an ability which can shut down entire flanks (and seriously mess with terminators).

#12 ·
It has been hotly debated at length, but the previous RAW unquestionably allowed the weapons to function that way.

The horrorfex uses the rules of the terrorfex, which causes the target unit to "take a Leadership Test." If we were to stop right there, you would have no reason to believe fearless rules are pertinent because fearless only protects against pinning tests. The hitch is that the rules state the outcome that the target unit "becomes pinned." Before this FAQ, that had to be interpreted as a separate effect that does not change the classification of the Ld test to that of "pinning." Fearless also does not say that it prevents models from becoming pinned, so anyone arguing against pinning fearless models had to resort to "the intent of the rules." The problem with doing that is that who are we to decide what the intent of the author was or is? You just can't do that, as it would open the door to anyone who wants to interpret the intent of the rules to better suit their situation.

The good news for those of you who were against the rule is that there's now an official statement that you can point at to prevent this. The bad news is that it is an inelegant fix and badly worded, so it may end up causing more problems than it fixes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.