Librarium Online Forums banner

New to IG

292 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  SimSnow 
#1 ·
Hello everyone, ive been playing 40k for about 8 months and already have 5000 points of CSM. I have decided to do another army as my buddy and i want to play 10,000 point apocalypse games, any way I chose IG and want to do chaos renegades with them. I bought a battleforce (figuring thats always a good place to start) but do you guys have any other suggestions as to what else I should get. my plans so far are: 2 more battle forces, 6 leman russ tanks (3 Punishers, 3 Demolishers), 3 armored sentinels, 3 more heavy weapon teams, 3 basilisk, and a command squad.

#2 ·
Welcome.

Here's some quick tips:
-Squadrons aren't so great. Immobilized results count as destroyed, so you lose a big advantage of AV14 (S8 cannot kill you). Use them sparingly.
-Punisher sucks. 20 S5 AP- shots at BS3 in a game where cover is so prevalent is failsauce. Eradicator, basic LRBT, or Exterminator rock face. Demolisher is great.
-Bassies have a 36" minimum range, meaning they have to fire direct most of the game. Bad for an AV12 open-topped vehicle. Other artillery are better.
-Get Chimeras. They're cheap, well armed and armored, and keep your units mobile.
-Be careful with HWS. Sticking all your heavy weapons into 1 unit means your opponent has an easier time picking his target, and 3 T3 models are not hard to kill.
-Meltas kill tanks. Lascannons and krak missiles can pester them at range, but real tank busting comes from the melta.

Hope that helps, any more questions just post 'em as they come.

#3 ·
Welcome to the IG (you dirty traitor)!

There are only a few things I would change about your plan.

1) There is some debate about the Punisher's effectiveness. I think that the huge number of shots put out tends to blind people into going all aggro with it. While it is admittedly impressive, I think a standard Leman Russ beats it in all categories. You might just go with 3 regular Russes and 3 Demos.

2) You might try to substitute one Basilisk with a Colossus. Makes your Bassies more accurate and is awesome. However, if you're playing primarily Apoc games, the long minimum range isn't quite as big an issue.

In any case, those are solid building blocks you've got there. Good luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.