Librarium Online Forums banner

750 point Imperial Gaurd- Crushing Flank Strategem

1K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  antique_nova 
#1 ·
Hi everyone!I would love your advice and critiques on the following list. The basics of the list is the grouping of a few units into a crushing flank or a flank that moves in a wide arc to destroy and or delay half of the opponents army. The units used to create this flank are the Rough Riders, Chimera with veteran's and the Leman Russ Demolisher.

HQ

Vanilla Company Command Squad

Troops

Infantry Platoon

-Platoon Command Squad

-Inf Squad 1
Autocannon

-Inf Squad 2
Autocannon
(merged with Inf Squad 1)

-Inf Squad 3
Lascannon

-Inf Squad 4
Lascannon

Veteran Squad
Meltagun
Meltagun
Chimera with Hull Heavy Flamer

Fast Attack

6 Rough Riders
Power Weapon
Meltagun
Meltagun
Meltabombs

Heavy Support

Leman Russ Demolisher
Hull Heavy Flamer

Total

See less See more
#3 ·
The list seems ok, but you have nothing to use against heavy infantry. The list you have will sink menchanised armies quickly, and also horde armies will have problems due to the amount of fire, but say you have a 10 man unit of chaos/black templar/eldar combat troops, you will do nothing and then be swatted like flies in CC. I would consider taking some plasma weaponry, or even a 5 man unit of Storm Troopers and kit the sergeant out with a plasma pistol, this will give you (at 12") 8 AP 3 shots wounding on 5+ and 1 AP2 shot wounding on 2+. Against a space marine that is 2.33 wounds per turn for only 95pts.

#4 ·
Thanks for the replies :)

1) The Rough Riders do get covered by the armor of the chimera plus the armor of the demolisher so they have two barriers in an effort to preserve them until the time comes to strike out from the iron and steel shields to take out a strategic unit or severely damage it.

5 Hunting lances will work very good at killing a pesky unit of Space Marines holding a table quarter

2)hmmmm, I was hoping because of the threat on the flank the forces of my enemy would be divided enough for a First Rank Second Fire to wipe out any threats.

Probably miscalculated :(

So a special weapons team and and storm troopers plus extra plasma guns in squads would work out well.

What about this...

HQ

Company Command Squad
4 Plasma Guns

Troops

Infantry Platoon

-Platoon Command Squad

-Inf Squad 1
Lascannon

-Inf Squad 2
Lascannon

Veteran Squad
Meltagun
Meltagun

Fast Attack

6 Rough Riders
Power Weapon
Meltagun
Meltagun
Meltabombs

Heavy Support

Leman Russ Demolisher
Hull Heavy Flamer
Plasma Cannon Sponsons

Total

#5 ·
Thanks for the replies :) No prob mate

1) The Rough Riders do get covered by the armor of the chimera plus the armor of the demolisher so they have two barriers in an effort to preserve them until the time comes to strike out from the iron and steel shields to take out a strategic unit or severely damage it.
A great tactic, I would lead with the LR and have the Chimera guarding the flank of the Rough Riders.

5 Hunting lances will work very good at killing a pesky unit of Space Marines holding a table quarter
That is correct, though I was thinking more along the lines of close combat space marines (I play Black Templars as well as guard) who will make mince meat of your poor guardsmen.

HQ

Company Command Squad
4 Plasma Guns
A good squad. I hope that the "50" below isn't related because otherwise you have mis-calculated. Off the top of my head it is 110pts. This unit is central if you are up against heavy infantry so get it into a commanding (pun not intended) position.

Troops

Infantry Platoon

-Platoon Command Squad

-Inf Squad 1
Lascannon
Standard but nice. If memory serves the unit's firing will be wasted because they must fire at the same target as the las cannon. If this is correct it might be an idea to take a separate heavy weapons team. Alternatively you could risk lowering your anti-tank power and depend on your vets with melta guns to take down tanks and then increase your anti-infantry power with something like an auto cannon or heavy bolter. The auto cannon could also take down light vehicles if you were still worried about things like sentinals or if you can get the side armour of a dreadnought.
-Inf Squad 2
Lascannon
See above.
Veteran Squad
Meltagun
Meltagun
Nice, though remember the flamer can only fire forwards
Fast Attack

6 Rough Riders
Power Weapon
Meltagun
Meltagun
Meltabombs
If you are going for protection followed by a devisating charge, melta guns are a bad idea in my opinion. Remember if you can shoot your melta guns, the enemy can shoot you. At most you will get 1 shooting phase to use them (between you moving out and assaulting) in which you will pretty much inta-kill 1 model. I would skimp on the points and go for basic

Heavy Support

Leman Russ Demolisher
Hull Heavy Flamer
Plasma Cannon Sponsons
This is what I use. They are an absolute dream, providing long, medium and short range fire power:
Plasma cannons: long range anti heavy infanty/light vehicle
Demolisher cannon: medium range anti everything :) (and the lumbering behemoth rule means you can fire it + other weapons)
Heavy Flamer: crawl this thing firing up to entrenched enemies (my favourite are eldar with their 4+ sv) and then show them why you shelled out the points on this tank.

Total
Now I must stress that I am not an asshole. Most of my points are just nit-picking and very minor things that are very situtional. I did this so you could have a look at the list and decide what you want to do with it rather than to put you down.

At the moment it is a very good list with an interesting trick. This is heightened because not many people take rough riders and so not everyone knows what to expect (especially inexperienced players (who invariably play (chaos) space marines)). Though this is a very 1 trick sort of list, there is very little the opponent can do meaning that it can be used more than once on the same person.

#8 ·
I agree with Rambo...I mean Marbo as an addition but I think the rough riders are a good idea. They will give a devistating charge and if you downgrade a couple of units you should be able to take Sylvester Stallone (I took it too far there I think) anway.

#9 ·
Thanks for the replies everyone this list is becoming better and better each time!

Also Orthanus, dn't worry, I am in no way offended. In fact I am very glad you put so much thought and effort into your advice.

HQ

Company Command Squad
4 Plasma Guns

Troops

Infantry Platoon

-Platoon Command Squad

-Inf Squad 1
Autocannon
Grenade Launcher

-Inf Squad 2
Autocannon
Grenade Launcher

Veteran Squad
Meltagun
Meltagun
Meltagun

Fast Attack

8 Rough Riders
Power Weapon
Meltabombs

Heavy Support

Leman Russ Demolisher
Hull Heavy Flamer
Plasma Cannon Sponsons

#10 ·
Thanks for the replies everyone this list is becoming better and better each time!

Also Orthanus, dn't worry, I am in no way offended. In fact I am very glad you put so much thought and effort into your advice.
Good good.

HQ

Company Command Squad
4 Plasma Guns
Fine.

Troops

Infantry Platoon

-Platoon Command Squad

-Inf Squad 1
Autocannon
Grenade Launcher
I would drop this 'nade launcher, they aren't all that effective and are mainly for combat units that are foot-slogging it up the board.

-Inf Squad 2
Autocannon
Grenade Launcher
Above
Veteran Squad
Meltagun
Meltagun
Meltagun
A very solid squad, an average you gunna get 2 hits and then depending on range and armour perhaps 1 penetrating hit
Fast Attack

8 Rough Riders
Power Weapon
Meltabombs
Yet, a good solid squad now

Heavy Support

Leman Russ Demolisher
Hull Heavy Flamer
Plasma Cannon Sponsons
I have changed my mind mate (sorry). At this point cost it would make more sense to take the battle cannon LR as the extra strength and AP aren't all that useful however the extra range is.
Ok, if you take my advice, you save 15pts on the LR and 10pts on grenade launchers. On top of this you could considder dropping the Plasma Cannon sponsons as the Battle cannon is longer range. Changing it for a heavy bolter and losing two rough riders or keeping the rough riders and not taking any sponsons would mean that you would have 65pts left over, enough for...you guessed it....Marbo. The guy decemates things in low points games and his demolition charge + "He's behind you" ruel allows him to take suicide missions such as det-packing a heavy tank, or non-suicide missions if you can get him into cover. The use of det-packs against tight space marine formations I have also found to be highly effective.

Hope I helped :)

#11 ·
Okay what about this...

HQ

Company Command Squad
4 Plasma Guns

Troops

Infantry Platoon

-Platoon Command Squad

-Inf Squad 1
Autocannon

-Inf Squad 2
Autocannon

Veteran Squad
Meltagun
Meltagun
Meltagun

Fast Attack

6 Rough Riders
Power Weapon
Meltabombs

Heavy Support

Leman Russ Demolisher

Hull Heavy Flamer
Heavy Bolter Sponsons

Super Specail Units

Marbo

#12 ·
drop the rough riders and get something that can help to reduce failure of moral checks and get a chimera for that command squad. because iw ould shoot that over a demolisher anyday in 750 points. it's an easy target and it's an expensive one and you lose alot of firepower from that squad if i kill it. even better it's one that can issue orders.
thanks
antique_nova

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.