Librarium Online Forums banner

Help on building a Tank army

1K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  sonu236 
#1 ·
Reading "Gunheads" by Steve Parker makes me want to build a tank-based army. I will post a list in the appropriate forum once I get a detailes list, but right now I would like some advice on what to shoot for.

For a 1000 point army, is it a bad idea to limit the infantry to only 3x veterans/Chimeras, plus 1x CCS/Chimera? The reason I ask is I want to maximize the number of tanks ("Rolling Thunder" :soldier: Gunheads), and I thnk I can squeeze in 3 Leman Russes. I would rather have 4 tanks but I would run out of points.

I would appreciate any general guidelines on how to go about building a Tank based army.

Thanks much!

#4 ·
I don't mean this to sound aggressive, but I am very passionate about my Imperial Guard. The rule of thumb is this: build around your infantry. That is where the victory lies. I would say build up two platoons of infantry, and then build around that. I personally run two five-squad infantry platoons and a few tanks for the big things that go bump in the night. I would have to disagree with anyone who tell you to build your IG army around tanks, especially those in an ordnance battery. If you MUST build your army around a tank, why not the Leman Russ or one of it's variants. There is a reason it is the most respected tanks in the game for a reason.

I don't mean to insult anyone else's advice, just giving you something to think about.

#5 ·
The rule of thumb is this: build around your infantry. That is where the victory lies. I would say build up two platoons of infantry, and then build around that.
That's all well and good but if he wants a tank force let's talk Vets and Chimeras, not platoons.

PATB:

The biggest problem I see for you is that you just don't need that many Russes in a force to be effective. And having more isn't better, it's worse.

Really, you should only have one Russ or Demolisher at 1000 pts. and 2 at 1500 pts. The rest of your tanks should be Chimeras and Hellhounds, as those are the real stars of a modern Mech IG list. A Chimera with a hull Heavy Flamer carrying Vets with 3 Meltas is the best single offensive unit the IG have. It takes down everything.

The Russ truly is just there just for support, not to be the star of the show. Most of the time it's going to be behind the Chimeras as they rush forward past it, not in front leading the charge.

#7 ·
Nice to see I'm not the only one here who is a fan of gunheads.

If you want a tank army like the company in gunheads (I beleive it was the 10th company of the regiment, the Cadain something...) then why not use an armoured company list? I know forge world had the revised IA vol. 1 somewhere on their site, it might still be there.

Woot found their rules; here's a link to their page, the IA vol 1 will be the second link on that page.

Welcome to the Forge World website

The Emperor Protects

#10 ·
Thanks for the comments guys. Much appreciated.

I am not trying to build a super competitive list, just something decent. The reason I do not play space marines is because I have yet to find a space marine fluff I like. I play Warhammer 40K mostly for the fluff. I need the fluff to give me the motivation to build and paint models.

I am beginning to get the message that 3 tanks is probably bad. I will try a list with two tanks.

Thanks again.

#11 ·
I was also interested in making a 'tank' force.

Though, I would like to know, how such a force would do against foes as a Carnifex or Greater Deamon?

At my local store, most players build their force around a single big-arse model. I guess, they believe, their force ain't good without it?

:beer:

#14 ·
YES! TANKS! CAN'T GET ENOUGH!!!!

Gunheads was an awesome book.

I would suggest three vets in Chimera and a primaris psyker for your HQ. If you have a problem with freaks, then bring a commissar. When you add a ccs, you'll add extra weapons and stuff, then you'll tuck him into a Chimera because you just can't resist bringing more treads and the next thing you know you'll have so many points wrapped up into the ccs you'll be taking the sponsons off your tank (blasphemy!).

Put the freak with the first squad, give the squads a heavy weapon and put the chimeras in the back and use them as pill boxes. Yes, this is totally against the "Chimelta" trend, but if you are a true treadhead then you are not using troops to make a legit tank kill. Only tanks kill tanks.

The only question now is how many tanks. There is no problem with three tanks. If people are screaming "CHEESE" at you then throw them some wine. At 1000 points, any other post 3rd edition army should be able to withstand some armor. EVERYONE has melta and those that don't have a power-chain-up your arse-fist that can take out armor. At 1000 points you are probably playing on a 4x4 board, so they will have the ability to be in your face on turn two. Winning ain't cheese.

And please, for the love of everything holy, tell me that you paint your kill marks on your tanks after every game. If you don't, then you are not a true treadhead.

#15 ·
I'm an avid tanker myself, got them before my infantry :p

can't wait to try out the bonkers idea of fitting 2 russes and a demolisher into a 1000pts, wouldn't be terribly effective but would definitely make a few people nervous (almost as bad as dropping a land raider in 1000pts).

I would suggest three vets in Chimera and a primaris psyker for your HQ./QUOTE]
i like :soldier:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.