Librarium Online Forums banner

New to Fantasy!

696 views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  Digger 
#1 ·
After playing 40k for a couple of years, I've been wanting to start something new, and looked to the Warhammer Fantasy to be the 'something new'. Because of where I have stuck this post, your safe to assume that I'm looking at collecting Bretonnian's, purely because they are knights, and how they link into our medieval era because of this.

Whilst I know nothing about the game or how the mechanics work, I had my first Fantasy game in store the other day against GW staff, I was playing Empire, they were goblins. Which spurred me to buy the Bretonnia codex.

As I mentioned before, I'm mainly attracted to this army because of the knights, and thus would like to start a Knight only/ Knight heavy army, but I have no idea where I'd be best to start. Would any of you guys be able to point me forward as to how I would be best kicking things off?

Thanks in advance :)

#2 ·
im no expert with brets, but i play em.

most options in the armybook are quite usable, even though the book is a bit outdated

only have three suggestions:
1. a general (mounted on horse or on gryphon) and make him look tuff!
2. army standard bearer (also mounted)
a bret player has to field one as you may have found out allready. unlike other armies we get to choose an extra character, who has to be the army battle standard.
3. Knights of the Realm... and some more small units of knights errant/knights of the realm. Knights o/t Realm are 1+ choice, so you have to field at least one unit.
theyre the backbone of brettonian battlegroups

i believe the main thought of full knight armies would be lots of small groups that support eachother in the charge. main advantages are, the lance formation rules and every unit gets a free unit champion. (this is in italics cause im Dutch)

But i would really suggest taking a look in the tactica, after you're familliar with the gamerules. Theres a really cool brettonia tactica thread in the tactica section :D

may the lady guide your path

#5 · (Edited)
:D grats
a Battalion should make a great start!

- if you have no Knight of the Realm assembled, that would be a good start, one unit of 6 to 9 max.

- bowmen i think most people use them as skirmisher unit, so the stakes could wait for later.

the pegasus could be your general for now. you need a general and a Battle standard Bearer (BSB ) before you can actually field your army.

that would be a good buy next time you buy something, the army Battle Standard Bearer, (or just use the standard bearer in the mounted knights unit as your BSB )

after you have your general and BSB, you can just see what units you like best.
(dont forget to get a rulebook if you have none :p , i dont think a new edition is coming soon, and the boxed set is definetly the cheapest version, same as 40k)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.