Librarium Online Forums banner

Need help going from 4th to 5th. 3000pts+

300 views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  jaywallauer 
#1 ·
I'm new to 5th and I'm struggling to make a list. Basically, with the new changes I'm unsure what to do with my warriors. Here is my list where it stands now;
HQ: HT, w/ wings, x2 talons
HQ: HT, stranglethorn, talons
TRP: 5 Warriors with barbed strangler and deathspitters. All w/ rending claws.
TRP: 5 Warriors with barbed strangler and deathspitters. All w/ rending claws.
TRP: 30 termaguants w/ fleshborer
TRP: 30 termagaunts w/ fleshborer
TRP: 20 genestealers w/ broodlord
TRP: 20 genestealers w/ broodlord
EL: 3 Zoanthropes
EL: 3 Venomthropes
FA: 5 Shrikes w/ barbed strangler and deathspitters. All with rending claws.
FA: 5 Shrikes w/ barbed strangler and deathspitters. All with rending claws.
FA: 6 Ravenors w/ rending claws and deathspitters.
HVY: 3 Carnifexes w/ stranglethorns.
HVY: Trygon
HVY: Mawloc

-My question is if this is a viable list and/or how I can approve it to fight Marines.
-I plan on keeping as many units as possible within the Venomthrope cover save range as I move up board.
-I was thinking of putting the fexes out in front where they can get the 5+ cover save, provide cover themselves, and fire.
-I wanted to incorporate as many barbed stranglers and stranglethorns as possible.
-I'm not sure if I should take less warriors? Or how to equip them?
-I'm not sure if I should take the Mawloc and instead just take another Trygon?
-I'm not sure if I should drop a unit of shrikes and add another unit of ravenors?
I'd like the list to be balanced from shooty and CC. I'm trying to get the both from both worlds.
Please let me know. Thanks! -Jay

See less See more
#3 ·
Thank you for your suggestion. Since points aren't really a huge concern here... I think the swarmlord would be a potential addition. I was also playing with this today and thought about taking 6 Carnifexes. Why not right? The venomthropes would give them all a 5+ cover save. I then thought that I'd divide my army up between really heavy and swarm. Let me know what you think...

HQ: Swarmlord w/ 2 Tyrant Guard
HQ: HT, flying, build for CC
TRP: 30 Hormagaunts
TRP: 30 Hormagaunts
TRP: 15 Genestealers w/ Broodlord
TRP: 6 Warriors w/ BS and DS's, and rending claws.
EL: 3 Venomthropes
FA: 6 Shrikes w/ BS and DS's, and rending claws.
FA: 6 Ravenors w/ DS's
FA: 6 Ravenors w/ DS's
HVY: 3 Carnifexes w/ Stranglethorn and talons.
HVY: 3 Carnifexes w/ Stranglethorn and talons.
HVY: 1 Trygon Prime

-Do you feel the warriors and shrikes are necessary? I felt I might need them for synapse.

#4 ·
I'm not much of a fan of hormagaunts and carnifex's in this codex . I converted carnifex's into tervigons . I also think shrikes aren't that great . You also realize that this new codex made synapse a little better for us . With the whole lurk and feed stuff . This list is pretty solid though . The carnifex's seem useful at 3000 points

#5 ·
I think you have plenty of synapes to be honest. you have your tyrant, swarm lord, zoanthropes, warriors, shrikes and your trygon prime.

My suggestion for your list though, and especially at these points would be to drop a zoanthrope in each squad and put them in a spore. I also dont think you need a brood lord either, Genestealers do so well on their own its unbelievable. cut the brood lords (or leave one Blord) and up the units to 19 stealers

I think your warriors are fine as is. just keep the shrikes with your flyrant to give him a cover save (if your not deep striking the tyrant) and you should be okay.

I think 6 carnifexs are a little over kill but I would still say keep them. It gives your list a nice feel when you havethat many and I hope for the best with them.

Hope this helps

Yukon

#6 ·
Thanks for all your help. I was playing with this list at work and wanted to know your suggestions...

HQ Swarmlord w/ 2 tyrant guard (can he start in reserve and still give all his perks?)
HQ Flyrant (built for CC)
TRP 30 termagaunts -or- hormagaunts (what do you think?)
TRP 30 termagaunts -or- hormagaunts (what do you think?)
TRP 12 Genestealers w/ Broodlord
TRP 12 Genestealers w/ Broodlord
TRP 12 Genestealers w/ Broodlord (would like to start at least two of these in reserve)
TRP 12 Genestealers w/ Broodlord (reserve?)
EL 3 Zoanthropes (spore?)
EL 3 Zoanthropes (spore?)
EL 3 Venomthropes (up the middle with Carnifexes, and/or down one side)
FA 6 Ravenors w/ deathspitters (DStr)
FA 6 Ravenors w/ deathspitters (DStr)
FA 6 Shrikes (Are Shrikes really any good in 5th ed.?) Should I take something else here? Can they DStr at the same time with the Flyrant?
HVY 3 Carnifexes w/ stranglethorn cannons, talons, (regen???)
HVY Trygon
HVY Trygon -or- Mawloc (what do you think?)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.