Librarium Online Forums banner

Can a web way portal be deployed from a Raider?

1K views 17 replies 8 participants last post by  KwiKwag 
#1 ·
ASsuming the raider doesn't move of course, but could u flatout 24, then at the start of next turn use the portal without disembarking, and for that matter, is it important, could you disembark and use it?

#2 ·
I'm inclined to say you can't deploy it from inside a Raider, because the model carrying it isn't physically on the table for you to place the WWP marker in b2b with. However, you're fine to disembark and deploy it. Disembarking specifically counts as moving only for the purpose of firing weapons-- since the WWP is not a weapon, you're kosher.

#3 ·
No, you may not deploy a portal whilst still embarked upon the Raider - where would the portal be if you did, on the Raider?

And No, you may not deploy the portal if you have moved or fired that turn - although this has been debated since the dawn of time.
I see it as exclusive, if you have moved you may not, if you have fired you may not and not inclusive as in if you have fired and moved you may not.

But let the fun begin on this one, again!

#4 ·
It would deploy from the hull, of course, as the rules clearly state that any effect that would be done by someone inside a transport is done from the hull.

And it just says without moving or shooting, neither of which you have done. However it says if the transport hasn't moved you can move normally with not fire heavy weapons (im not sure the RAW way it says that, it could bring to light this). In which case wouldn't a web way portal count under normal? Although of course if the raw states that you count as moving if you disembark, then i guess disembarking is out....

#5 ·
And the rules clearly state that you need base to base contact - and since the Codex is considerd the normal it specifically overides any other source except a more recent FAQ and Eratta.

#7 ·
The model that is equipped with the wargear of the portal has no base area and thus no valid base whilst embarked - if they did then they could be assaulted by using the base to base contact and thats never going to happen.

#8 ·
I'm with Wicky. A model in a transport cannot deploy a WWP, though if you disembark before the transport has moved, then you can move/shoot/assault as normal, so that should include deploying the portal as well.

#12 ·
"If the vehicle has already moved..., the passengers may disembark, but not move any further in that Movement phase." -p67 Disembarking

If the unit is not allowed to "move any further," it stands to reason they have indeed already moved to some extent. Otherwise, this sentence would have said, "but not move at all in that Movement phase," or just, "but not move in that Movement phase."

With that cleared up, models disembarking a vehicle may not deploy the WWP because they have moved.

#13 ·
Uhm Krovin-Rezh, i don't mean to be rude, but he said clear he was referring to stationary vehicles, and not moving vehicles, and your quote begins with "if the vehicle has already moved...."

So your post in pointless, we know we can't deploy it after moving the raider and disembarking, what we are talking about is if the raider does not move, and you disembark.

#14 · (Edited)
Krovin, I got your back on this one.

Ok, stepping slightly out of the rules for a moment the best way to view portal deployment is to think of it like a Heavy Weapon - now can you fire one of these after you disembark?

And stepping back into the Rules on page 67 we can see that Disembarking models "may shoot as normal (counting as moving) and may assault as normal."

So Disembarking 'counts as' moving for anything in the shooting phase regardless as to the movement status of the vehicle.

#15 ·
i know the reply isnt fully needed but he is 100% correct, best way to look at it is a web way portal is a heavy weapon that cnt be fired out of a vehicle. very similar to the crucible of malediction :)

i hope that clears everything up

#16 ·
Not rude at all Zidi, but you ignored the passage because it's talking about a moving vehicle when the important point I was making was about the nature of disembarking. Disembarking acts the same regardless of the stationary or moving state of the vehicle, so it matters not the context in which it is described.

And it goes further than just "counting as" movement where shooting restrictions are concerned. It is movement, measured from the access point to any location within range. The importance of this fact is to determine that dangerous terrain tests will still be taken when disembarking into a minefield, for example. If disembarking were not movement, there would be no terrain test since the models would simply appear next to the transport as if in the deployment step.

#17 ·
hmm..*sigh*

Thats how i've been playing it =p doesn't mean i wasn't hopeful. Although i have read some debate around that interprets the WWP entry as saying if you do not "move or shoot" in the shooting phase, you may deploy it. Which is possible as it could be trying to say you can't use fleet (which was mainly DE only at the time) or shoot, then you can deploy it, rather then referring to the movement phase.

#18 ·
I actually believe the same as you Zidi as I too agree I think GW meant the "shooting phase" but the fact remains that the WWP description in the codex never mentions "phase" but rather it mentions "turn" and that encompasses all the phases.

We are stuck with our codex wording once again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.