Librarium Online Forums banner

Soul Carvers -Semi new to 40k

<2000 
347 views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Lord Vearak 
#1 ·
Well here is what I have so far... In respect to having so many HQ choices, I wanted to take the command Squad + Captain for Fluff reasons. Aside from this I am really looking for tips on what equipment works best for the units as I have no real idea!!! Following that If there are any major alterations I would like to squeeze extra armour on my Rhinos!

HQ:

Terminator Captain -N/A
Lightning Claw + Storm Bolter - N/A
=145

Command Squad - N/A

Company Standard -N/A
Compnay Champion -N/A
Apothecary - N/A
Veteran Sgt - N/A
Veteran with Meltagun -N/A
=155

Chaplain -N/A
Jump Pack -N/A
Storm Bolter - N/A
Rosarious
Crozius Arcanum
= 118

Troops:

Tactical Squad I - N/A Rhino Transport -N/A
5 Add Marines - N/A
Flamer - 0
Heavy Bolter - 0
= 205

Tactical Sqaud II -N/A Rhino Transport -N/A
5 Add Marines -N/A
Flamer - 0
Missle Launcher - 0
= 205

Scout Squad -N/A
5 Sniper Rifles - 0
Camo Cloaks - N/A
=90

Elites:

5 Man Terminator Squad -N/A Land Raider Transport -N/A
1 Assault Cannon -N/A Extra Armour - N/A
4 Storm Botlers + Power Fists -N/A
=495

Dreadnought -N/A
Twin-linked Lascannon -N/A
Missle Launcher -N/A
=145

Fast Attack:

Assault Squad - N/A
5 Add marines - N/A
2 Plasma Pistols -N/A
Power Fist - N/A
Melta Bombs -N/A
=250

Heavy Support:

Devastator Squad -N/A
2 Lascannon -N/A
Plasma Cannon -N/A
Missile launcher -N/A
=200 (Lascannons are expensive!?)

Total: 2005

My Overall plan is too Firstly:

Stick the two Tactical squads in their Rhinos and zoom them up-to a good firing point.

The Terminator and Command Squad + the Captain are going to take the Land Raider Transport to get stuck in and have a little cover at the same time.

The Assault marines are going to be fotslogging/jumping forwards asap along with the Chaplain.

The scout squad will be sniping away at anything dangerous infantry wise.

The Devastator and Dreadnought are there fore Anti-tank purposes whilst all of these fella's move up.

See less See more
#2 ·
Well here is what I have so far... In respect to having so many HQ choices, I wanted to take the command Squad + Captain for Fluff reasons. Aside from this I am really looking for tips on what equipment works best for the units as I have no real idea!!! Following that If there are any major alterations I would like to squeeze extra armour on my Rhinos!
A lot of people don't like extra armor, but try it and see if you find it useful. It's really a personal preference type of thing.

HQ:

Terminator Captain -N/A
=145
If you really want terminator armor, drop the storm bolter for two lightning claws, otherwise keep him in power armor with either bolt pistol/power weapon or two lightning claws. Close combat is where he excels and is what he should be equipped for.

Command Squad - N/A

Company Standard -N/A
Compnay Champion -N/A
Apothecary - N/A
Veteran Sgt - N/A
=155
I'll let someone else tell you what to do with this squad as I'm not familiar with the best setups for it. All I would say would be to make them very cc-oriented, as that's where they're headed.

Chaplain -N/A
Jump Pack -N/A
Storm Bolter - N/A
Rosarious
Crozius Arcanum
= 118
Drop the storm bolter for the bolt pistol. The extra points just aren't worth losing the attack in close combat.

Troops:

5 Add Marines - N/A
Flamer - 0
Heavy Bolter - 0
= 205

5 Add Marines -N/A
Flamer - 0
Missle Launcher - 0
= 205
Generally the best tactical marine setup is melta/missile. Combat squad the squad, stick the melta half in the rhino and leave the missile half behind to snipe.

Scout Squad -N/A
5 Sniper Rifles - 0
Camo Cloaks - N/A
=90
I would highly recommend dropping these guys. They are NOT as good as they seem. My friend sometimes uses them, and they always fail.

Elites:

=495
Looks pretty good, but I would swap the assault cannon for a cyclone missile launcher. Also, put the land raider in the heavy support or else the command squad can't start in it. I would also drop the extra armor, but that's personal preference.

Dreadnought -N/A
Missle Launcher -N/A
=145
Pretty good fire support choice. Looks good.

Fast Attack:

Assault Squad - N/A
5 Add marines - N/A
2 Plasma Pistols -N/A
Power Fist - N/A
Melta Bombs -N/A
=250
Drop the plasma pistols, not really worth it. Also drop melta bombs, the powerfist will be a better bet against vehicles most of the time.

Heavy Support:

Devastator Squad -N/A
2 Lascannon -N/A
Plasma Cannon -N/A
Missile launcher -N/A
Mixed weapons in Devastator squads are a bad idea. It makes them okay against everything and good against nothing. I would recommend going all missiles. They are significantly cheaper than lascannons and only slightly less powerful.

My Overall plan is too Firstly:

Stick the two Tactical squads in their Rhinos and zoom them up-to a good firing point.
As I said before, use rhinos to get meltas close enough to use and leave missiles behind to start firing from turn 1.

The Terminator and Command Squad + the Captain are going to take the Land Raider Transport to get stuck in and have a little cover at the same time.
Note that you cannot have two separate units in the same transport vehicle.

The Assault marines are going to be fotslogging/jumping forwards asap along with the Chaplain.
Good. Just make sure to keep close to cover and to always get the charge for the full effect of the chaplain.

The scout squad will be sniping away at anything dangerous infantry wise.

The Devastator and Dreadnought are there fore Anti-tank purposes whilst all of these fella's move up.
Should be good here. Just remember to try to keep the Dreadnought in cover / out of line of sight of enemy anti-tank as AV 12 isn't the greatest.

Final comments: You might want to try and find the points for a third tactical squad. Two scoring units (even 4 after combat squad) generally isn't enough in a 2000 point game. If your opponent takes them out then you lose. Also, if you are at all willing to, I would highly recommend switching the captain out for a librarian. Librarians are good units to have because they can solo powerful MCs due to their force weapons as well as be able to use useful psychic powers and provide you with some much-needed psychic defense in the form of a psychic hood.

There you go, my comments are in red above.

#3 ·
Comments i blue as usual!

HQ:
Terminator Captain -N/A
=145
This boy is born for combat so tool him up like it. Relic Blade and Storm shield or two lightning claws is probably the best way to be going!!!!

Command Squad - N/A

Company Standard -N/A
Compnay Champion -N/A
Apothecary - N/A
Veteran Sgt - N/A
=155
With terminators in your list i'm not sure you need these boys. There's so many ways you can make this unit it's silly. There's the biker unit of doom. There's the combat unit of doom. both of which have storm shields, power weapons and so forth. The other option that i use is the 'assault devastator' unit. 4 Melta or Plasma guns in a drop pod. Plonk down next to something you want to kill and kill it. In any case they'll need a transport.

Chaplain -N/A
Jump Pack -N/A
Storm Bolter - N/A
Rosarious
Crozius Arcanum
= 118
Ditch the Storm Bolter. The extra attack in combat will be more useful.

Troops:

5 Add Marines - N/A
Flamer - 0
Heavy Bolter - 0
= 205
See if you can get these boys a Power weapon for your sergeant. As it stands they've got no bite in combat.

5 Add Marines -N/A
Flamer - 0
Missle Launcher - 0
= 205

Scout Squad -N/A
5 Sniper Rifles - 0
Camo Cloaks - N/A
=90
Looking good. I've always like the H-Bolter will Hellfire rounds myself. It works well with the Snipers

Elites:

=495
If these boys are travelling around in a Land raider i'd probably make them assault terminators. You're no doubt going to drive hell for leather at your opponent and ram these boys down the enemies throat so you might as well tool them up for their close quarter environment. It should save you 30pts too.

Dreadnought -N/A
Missle Launcher -N/A
=145
You might be best off with a twin Autocannon instead of a twin Lascannon. The Autocannon si generally better against light armour like transports and AV12 stuff. It's alot cheaper too.

Fast Attack:

Assault Squad - N/A
5 Add marines - N/A
2 Plasma Pistols -N/A
Power Fist - N/A
Melta Bombs -N/A
=250

Looks good.

Heavy Support:

Devastator Squad -N/A
2 Lascannon -N/A
Plasma Cannon -N/A
Missile launcher -N/A

Yeah possibly not the best use of points to be honest. 4 M-Launchers are probably your best, safest and cheapest bet. If you want Lascannons it's better to put them on a Predator (2 lascannon and an autocannon)

The Landraider can only take 1 unit (and attached characters) So the Command squad and terminators can't all ride in there.

#4 ·
Main changes have seen the command squad go, along with the expensive Dev lascannon's. Tac squads have got a power wep for each Sgt. Plus a third bare bones squad to add to scoring units.

HQ:

Terminator Captain -N/A
2x Lightning Claw - N/A
=155

Chaplain -N/A
Jump Pack -N/A
Rosarious
Crozius Arcanum
= 115

Troops:

5 Add Marines - N/A
Meltagun - N/A
Heavy Bolter - 0
Sgt - Power wep & Bp -N/A
= 225

5 Add Marines -N/A
Meltagun - N/A
Missle Launcher - 0
= 225

Tactical Squad III -N/A
5 Add marines - N/A
Meltagun - N/A
Missile Launcher - 0
=175

Scout Squad -N/A
5 Sniper Rifles - 0
Camo Cloaks - N/A
=90

Elites:

5 Man Terminator Assault Squad -N/A Land Raider Transport -N/A
Extra Armour - N/A

=465

Dreadnought -N/A
Missle Launcher -N/A
=145

Fast Attack:

Assault Squad - N/A
5 Add marines - N/A
2 Plasma Pistols -N/A
Power Fist - N/A
=245

Heavy Support:

Devastator Squad -N/A
Plasma Cannon -N/A
3x Missile launcher -N/A
=160

Total: 2000

#6 ·
Comments in blue.

HQ:

Terminator Captain -N/A
2x Lightning Claw - N/A
=155

Chaplain -N/A
Jump Pack -N/A
Rosarious
Crozius Arcanum
= 115

HQ's look good.

Troops:
5 Add Marines - N/A
Meltagun - N/A
Heavy Bolter - 0
= 225

5 Add Marines -N/A
Meltagun - N/A
Missle Launcher - 0
= 225

Tactical Squad III -N/A
5 Add marines - N/A
Meltagun - N/A
Missile Launcher - 0
=175

Not sure you need this squad to be fair. You could quite easily replace them with a cheaper Sqout squad. Another 5 man unit of bump the original Scout squad up to 10 and then combat squad them. This should save you 100pts or so for something funky. I've no idea what but the option is there!

Scout Squad -N/A
5 Sniper Rifles - 0
Camo Cloaks - N/A
=90

Elites:

5 Man Terminator Assault Squad -N/A Land Raider Transport -N/A
Extra Armour - N/A

=465

Dreadnought -N/A
Missle Launcher -N/A
=145

Already made coments on this chap.

Fast Attack:

Assault Squad - N/A
5 Add marines - N/A
2 Plasma Pistols -N/A
Power Fist - N/A
=245

Heavy Support:

Devastator Squad -N/A
Plasma Cannon -N/A
3x Missile launcher -N/A
=160

You might as well just take 4 Launchers. The Plasma might tempt you to shoot at Terminators or somethign with a 2+ save and effectively waste the Launchers. If you already have the model it's no biggy but if you don't go for 4 Launchers.

Total: 2000

#5 ·
Hello, this is my first post so bear with me. First of all you have a lot of thins your opponent can kill in deathmatch i believe it is 12. I would drop the sniper rifles on the scouts and give them bolters to harass a unit. Drop the termy armour on the captain and give him the Command squad back and a razorback to lead the charge. give the barebones squad a rhino and cut the dreadnaught. Give the scouts a teleport homer and deep strike the termies on top of em. The Emperor has spoken. My advice other than that is to play with the army and tweak as you go. Have fun.

#7 ·
Thanks for all the advice fella's, Instead of chopping and changing around my list as it currently Is, I intend to play at least one match to get a feel for what I do and don't like.

Afterwards I'll be sure to take on your advice and any practical experience I pick up...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.