Librarium Online Forums banner

HQ Help

519 views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Rabbit 
#1 · (Edited)
Okay, so I'm a semi-experienced player. I have a 2500(ish) point Space Marine army (loyalist) and I'm satisfied with that. As soon as I finish up painting that army, I'd like to start an Iron Warriors army. Now, one of my problems I've run into is finding a good support HQ. Wanting to keep it pretty fluff-accurate, I'd prefer not to use Lash. However, thats the only direct support role I've seen. Chaos Lords look to be glorified sergeants, Sorcerers seem like Chaos Lords with force weapons and psychic powers (which I have *horrible* luck with. I hold the local record for most perils of the warp/failed psychic tests), and Daemon Princes look like big fire magnets that are likely to get killed since they can't join squads.

So what would be the best HQ to use in a support role without a Mark of Chaos?

edit: The army I plan to build is mechanized, consisting mostly of Chaos Space Marine Squads (with the IoCG and 2 Meltaguns) in rhinos. Throw in some obliterators and a preadator for heavy support and some raptors for melee.

#2 ·
Think of the DP not as a fire magnet, but as a distraction...

...it's another big target that needs to be taken out, thus putting your transports, tanks, oblits and so on, in less danger...

...and if he reaches the enemy line, well, let the slaughter begin! :)

#3 ·
Even in high point games, our Princes are a challenge to kill at range. I generally run two of them at the 2000 point mark, and even then, they usually both make it into close combat. Of course, it depends on the rest of your build. Our codex works very well when fielding lots of high priority threats. This includes Princes, Defilers, Obliterators, Rhinos, and even Dreads.

If you don't like the Lash, then you should certainly consider a Prince with Warp Time. They're absolutely brutal in close combat.

#4 ·
I too am a Daemon Prince fan. Look, your opponent HAS to shoot at something! Daemon Prince is built to take it: he gets both an armour save AND an invulnerable save, he cannot be instantly killed, he's fearless and he has a good toughness score. I find my DP's usually live 2-3 rounds at best, but usually either draw enough fire away from my other units or earn their points by killing things in that time frame. Plus the new DP models are spanktacular! On top of all that, the DP has some very good builds from very cheap to somewhat expensive, all very effective for points.

#5 ·
The only direct support you can have is lash, but a DP could be used as support to draw fire from your other units (although not your choice) or to support in close combat. Warptime is a way to get the most out of them if you don't like lash, or a simple mark like MoN can ensure they last longer.

I enjoy using a lord with daemon weapon, the basic weapon ios quite good, but if you take a mark then killing whole units with khorne is the route I take

#7 · (Edited)
Warptime is a way to get the most out of them if you don't like lash, or a simple mark like MoN can ensure they last longer.
Either Nurgle or Tzeentch.

Tzeentch is especially valuable these days, as his mark allows a Prince to attempt Warp Time or any psychic non-shooting ability up to twice each turn. (spirit of the rules provided). With all the Hoods roaming about, this is actually something to consider.

#6 ·
I don't know, I've had atrocious luck with daemon weapons. It seems like you're garunteed to take a wound when you throw all those attacks out there. Especially with a blood-feeder (or whatever the MoK one is).

It looks like I'm going with Daemon Prince then, unless someone has a diffenet take.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.