Librarium Online Forums banner

The finer points of using Transports

1K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  adamwelton 
#1 ·
As a Daemon player first, I never needed to worry about transports; deep striking yes, transports no. Since becoming a CSM player 6 months ago, I'm not entirely sure I am using my Rhino right. It always seems I get out at the wrong time, get shot up, then muff the assault. I mean Rhinos work, but my timing is wrong. At first, I would move them up 6" at a time, firing a Havoc Launcher (which I liked) and then when I was close, I would get out before moving, move 6" and attack usually by the third round. It works but it is slow. Then I raced up 12" at a time until I was close. Then I would get out shoot then attack next round. Then race up 12" then next round get out and move and maybe assault normally. But no matter what I do, it never seems to be too right to me somehow. So how do you guys use transports like Rhinos?

#3 ·
When you finish moving, don't get out straight away, wait until next turn when you can assault, if your rhino moves 12", then next turn, you can disembark, move 6", and assault 6", if your enemy has also moved at all, then this will allow you to assault on the second turn. (I also give my units moving like this personal icons, to summon any lesser daemons that arrive, either to use as a screen, or distraction, or to tie up the unit for 1 turn in the case that difficult terrain could slow me down, or just to add weight to the assault.)
If your enemy places themself further away, two turns of movement will suffice.
Don't shoot with bolters unless you are supported, or you can wipe out the unit, it is worth missing one turn of shooting to survive to get the charge, esp. with berzerkers.

#4 ·
Bliss is right. Transports get smashed quickly, but also contest objectives so are somewhat useful in those games. They are also a liability in kill-point games, so beware! That is perhaps when you tool them up to support the blokes. Given that in the event of your battlebus being hit your blokes will only take a low-S hit when the vehicle detonates (a low probability) and still get their armour save, ragging towards the enemy, waiting THEN debussing in the manner described above can really worry even assault armies, as again your armour saves and high number of A (even for non-Berzerkers) will mean that you will make a mess of anyone who gets in your way. Even if the enemy has tried to do a runner, you can still move the vehicle then debus, move and shoot, causing much grief and pain in the process. Either way, you win.

#5 ·
After the rhinos have served their main purpose, if they are equipped with combi-meltas or havocs, or even without, they can be an annoyance to your enemy...

Earlier today I used an empty rhino to block the enemy's advance or as cover for my troops, it was very effective!

#7 ·
lol
Bloke is a brit thing (damn brits!), it's like saying your guys. IMO - In my opinion

#8 · (Edited)
Hey mucker, we can at least pronounce "aluminium", "missile" and "probably" correctly, instead of missing half the letters!

The best thing about vehicles is that you can play the sneaky bugger with them, adding inches to your debus move by turning the vehicle for free on arrival, exposing the rear ramp exit of Rhinos at least 4" closer to the enemy. You could also put two together blocking the enemy's line of sight for your debussing squads, then next turn everyone piles forward, REALLY causing some anguish for your opponent. Do I hear someone shout "Beard!"? Well chaps, at the next tournament you attend, watch the real GW geeks do it. It's what gets these freaks to the finals.

Anyway, everyone's right-ultimately, don't underestimate mech armies in fifth ed. I've had my trousers (!) pulled down once or twice when some smart arse (!) has used a transport to rush, debus squad, shoot, assault, win, withstand a counterattack then contest the hard-fought objective in the last turn. Try standing up to a Terminator assault squad in a Landraider. Imagine Razorbacks with a ten-man combat-squadded marine unit that can both assault AND defend with ease, doubling their usefulness. Eldar Wave Serpents-try getting into a shouting match with one of those full of Fire Dragons or Banshees. How about an Ork Battlewagon toting a battlecannon and missile launchers and packed with Ghazkull and twenty Nobz, all kustom-weapon and Powerklaw-armed, painted red and rigged to shrug off shaken, stunned AND immobilised! Finally, your opponent's worst nightmare-a full squad of Berzerkers with a squad leader AND Kharn bailing out of a Rhino and heading straight for them next turn, all fifty-plus WS5/S5/I5 attacks on the charge...

Oh yes, mech lists are now the way forward.

#9 ·
Hey mucker, we can at least pronounce "aluminium", "missile" and "probably" correctly, instead of missing half the letters!
You misunderstand, the only people who do not spell those words right are the people who do not know what a spell checker and built in dictionary does or how it works! If you did, you would know that you misspelled aluminum! By the way, what's a "mucker", is it a bad thing?

#11 ·
Er...I didn't misspell "aluminium"; I reckon that must be LO's built-in American-English spelling of their pronunciation, which we non-yanks have a bit of a laugh at along with "prolly" (probably) and "missle" (missile). Anyway, "mucker" is a fellow worker in any manual labour-related employment. Much like "fellow" (from "fella"-Arabic "Fellaheen", meaning "peasant", "commoner" or "ordinary person"). You Canadian chaps use "bum" and "arse" where the septic tanks say "ass". I know you left the Empire a long time ago, but we get the impression that you're not entirely happy with your current neighbours...

Right, enough of this culture-based nonsense. On with the show! Right then andrewbeater, given that you've been proven to be a sensible grown-up individual, what are your thoughts on this topic?

#12 · (Edited)
I say ass all the time, but prefer arse in a mixed crowd. And we love our neighbours, just so long as everyone knows we are completely different then them! I love Britain too as some of my personal family is from there. I hope to go over the foam one day and visit. also, I apologize for the aluminium reference, I should know being Canadian that it had two spellings as we spell it with an "I" as well.
As for transports, I really need to get some more off them. My friend who uses Blood Angels and a lot of Rhinos, has shown me some finer points of using them. He motors them up, disembarks the next turn then moves his unit up 6" or uses the Rhino as a shield. I just need to learn then practice!

#14 ·
Blood Angel Rhino rush armies have been around since second edition and always work because of their assault-specific squad types. You know where you stand whether giving or receiving!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.