Librarium Online Forums banner

a seer squad on jetbikes - worth it?

1K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  Dunklezahn 
#1 ·
I made a seer squad, and I want to explain, a seer squad, not a seer council, on jetbikes, because I fighered a squaderon of 5 jetbikes with a rerolable +3 Invanerable save who moves 12" is great. I get a squad that has a leader with WS6, the rest 5. good invintative, wounds on +2, and can reroll armor saves. I allso get to shoot 3 heavy flamer shots before going to attack. I was wandering what do you think - could it work, or maybe it's a point sink?

Seer Squad @ 374
Farseer w/ Witch Blade, Shurikan Pistol, Furtune, Jetbike @ 106
Warlock w/ Witch Blade, Shurikan Pistol, Enhance, Jetbike @ 67
Warlock w/ Witch Blade, Shurikan Pistol, Destructor, Jetbike @ 67

#2 ·
it is quite a big points sink but still i'd imagine pretty impressive.
btw. they have a 3+ armour save and a 4+ inv. save. they don't have a 3+ invulnerable save.

but i like the idea of the enhanced toughness jetbikes give you and i was considering using a squad like this in my army. but i was thinking more along the lines of 2 warlocks with no powers (to save points), one with embolden, one with enhance.

#4 ·
So you think my seer squad would be a good idea? btw, the entery on rune armour sais that it gives the wearer an invanerable save, +4 or +3 on jetbike. It sounds like it just makes whatever save you have (+4/+3) invaneraqble, not? And if it doesn't, doest it means that if something pirces my +3 jetbike save on normal sped, I still get a +4 rerolable save? that's still preety good. How would you think my squad will do in actuall combat?:

#5 ·
yep, you can fortune your saves in general so in the same turn i think you can roll your regular 3+ save against any light weapons like bolters and your 4+ inv. save against power weapons and low ap weapons.
the squad will tear vehicles apart in cc. and from my experience they do pretty well against most enemies. (they do ok against power armour because of the sheer volume of saves they force your opponent to make) and will do really well against anything light armoured but high toughness, like orks.

#6 · (Edited)
Myself, I think in their current form are still too expensive. This squad would be an excellant distraction as with a 3+ re-rollable invulnerable (after-turbo boost) they would be pretty mean. Killing stuff however I would think is not actually their forte but making the enemy shoot their weapons at them instead of the rest of the army.

I'd use them like this:

Farseer, Jetbike, Fortune, Witchblade, Shuriken Pistol - 144pts
Warlock, Shuriken Pistol, CCW, Jetbike - 38pts

This comes to 242pts instead of 374. Notice how this cheaper form is every bit as survivable, just has the Witchblades removed. Now in say, a 1500pt game, I'd goad my opponent into destroying my 'invincible jetbike team', and so pray he fires at it as much as possible. Whatever happens, likelyhood it'll survive and soak up a lot of my enemy's heavy weapon fire. As for actually killing it's points back? Not a chance.

#8 ·
This has been discussed a few times and it's generally way too many points. It will never make back its point cost, ever and yet still performs the same duties as a normal seer squad just for double the price

You either want to put a single farseer on a jetbike, which you cant do in this case, or just make them all walk

#9 ·
I know it's really expensive. that's why I was thinking of two other optains: using Shining Shers as bodyguards, giving the extrach a PW, or using guardian jetikes as bodyguards, puting a warlock atached tio them and having the farseer join. That's seposed to coast just 250 points. what about that? the guardians would get only one attack, but with a shining sphear - like CC profile because of Enhance.

#13 ·
Sweet Lord No!
Unless the new edition codex (when it finally arrives) does something impressive stay as far from spears as you can, they're a huge points sink for frankly mediocre at best troops.
Any opponent worth his salt upon learning that the cut price seers are fancy looking regular jetbikes will even bother dealing with them and pound the rest of your army. Go with the witchblades and destructors and use them as assassins, hunting his jucier units round the board, the smaller elite units of an army have a lot to worry about from this squad and large light infantry squads will go up like kindling, bye bye gaunts swarm.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.