Librarium Online Forums banner

New to Tau

1K views 21 replies 11 participants last post by  onlainari 
#1 ·
I will bbe facing ork armys alot with my tau can you give me advice and possibly a army list. is this one good i dont have the codex

HQ:
crisis battlesuit with twin linked missle pod and plasma big thing and 2 drones - 120

Elites:
5 stealth suits - 150

Troops:
12 Fw - 120
12 Fw - 120

Fast attack-
8 drones - 64

Heavy support:
3 broadside battlesuits with that multi-tracker thing - 250

850 points around

broadsides to destroy 3 sqauds of orks a turn

stealth suits to be tactical and make me look good and quick and smart

Fw because i need them

drones because the retinue will become a retinue of 10 drones

See less See more
#3 ·
Chaotic Fury said:
...can you give me advice and possibly a army list. is this one good i dont have the codex
I suppose some good advice would be that you can't play tau properly unless you have the codex. There are a few things technically wrong with that list for starters. Fellow tau players - do our crisis get 'big things'? Maybe it's the cc weapon we've been dieing for?
Heh, astroth, 8 gun drones is 96p. And his commander if i get it right is 109p, 134p, 119p, or 144p. And that's with a free big thing too. Hmm, let me see. 250/3 = er, not a whole number. those broadsides must have...oh wait, there it is again, they have a thing. that must be 8 1/3p. i wonder if it's as good as a 'big' thing?

Of course I'm going to make fun. This post made me laugh :D.

#5 ·
Hmm, instead of belittling your post, I think I'll add some constructive critizism.

The first thing that stands out to me is your Broadsides.
Broadsides are meant to kill armor, and in 1000 pt (or less) games, you shouldn't expect to see so much as to warrant three of these guys. I'd drop two of them and get more FireWarriors.

FireWarriors are great in large numbers, esspecially against a clumsy army like Orks. You can pack in and put lots of Str 5 guns into a squad.

Stealths rock! Good job on taking them, though I'd increase the squad size to six.

Good choice on the Drones too. Many enemies will ignore Drones in favor of chasing suits, or killing FireWarriors.

One last thing, your Commander has a decent enough BS that he won't need a twin linked weapon as often as a basic suit.

So summarizing my recommendations:
Drop two of the Broadsides.
Increase the FireWarriors.
Tinker with the Commander a bit.

If these changes put you at a loss for points, I'd either get some Crisis Suits or Kroot. The Crisis Suit's ability to field Str 6 Plasma and Str 7 Missile weapons is great for killing transports and heavy infantry. Plus the mobility they add to your army and stress they will add to the enemy's is outstanding.
Kroot will add a good counter punch to your army if the enemy can close with you quicker than you can gun them down. Just keep in mind that it's best to field Kroot in squads of 14 or more.

Good luck.

#7 ·
Chaotic Fury said:
does that p stand for pervert

oh and i dont have the codex so shut up

hey buddy, i think there is a rule somewhere that states that you need the codex. Somebody got me on that technicality in the chaos forum. Also i would insult someone unless you want to be flamed. And for constructive advice, listen to the previous post. He pretty much cleared up everything you need to know. Hammer heade is the number one priority though!

#8 ·
Chaotic Fury said:
should i drop 3 suits and get a hammerheads and troops! oh by the way i dont have to codex ill tinker it tommorow
I assume you're refering to the Broadsides.

In my opinion, the Hammerhead is much better than Broadsides due to its mobility, and the Sub-Munition Round on the RailGun, but it's really up to you.

I always take lots of troops to a fight (60 FireWarriors and 20 Kroot in my 2K list, 48 FireWarriors in my 1K list), esspecially when your troop totes around a 30" Str 5 gun.

Just toy around with your list for a while. You have a good start. The rest will come with some time and gaming experience. You'll soon see what you're lacking and what you've got too much of.

#9 ·
Chaotic Fury said:
does that p stand for pervert

oh and i dont have the codex so shut up
I was being light hearted and you are being rude.

How are you expecting to play without the codex? Will you be moving your fire warriors and shooting 30"? Will you be dropping submunitions from your broadside railguns? Do tau have BS4? What do you mean jet packs don't move 12" in movement phase? Broadsides don't have jet packs? Are you sure?

There's no problem with you having a fun game without the codex. The problem is that you have asked us to write a list for you and that leads to questions about what each unit does and that leads to unit stats and it's all a breach of copyright.

#10 ·
forst of all ill answer all questions with the reference sheet
1. no i wont there rapid fire
2.no i wont
3.bs 3
4.they move 6 movement and 6 assault
5.i know they dont

you download the refernce sheet of the website so its not copyright so there i do know most of the rules apart from wepons costs

#11 ·
Stop fighting children... Even though im probably younger than both of you.
Chaotic- Not to start anything but how do you expect people to help when you talk like that?
PSteve- That PervertSteve thing was pretty funny...

If your facing Ork, definatly drop your Broadsides. Solid shot is not worth it for Orks. Also, looks like ur HQ is a Shas'o. I think you should drop to a Shas'el to save some points. Get a Hammerhead or two. Submunitions are great for killing lots of Orks at a time. Dont drop your stealths. They are effective because of the 3 shots per model.

#12 · (Edited)
I thought the perver steve wasnt really irrelevant, but thats just me. Stop fighting. Chaotic fury, just get the codex soon, and most of your questions will be answered. Like Mobius and i stated before, hammer head is good, and the stealths are good, and the untwinlinking of the missile pods are good. But, i dont really like the kroot being in there, Yes they are good at close combat but i think the would lose the initiative (cant remeber, havent looked at the ork codex in ages.) and let the orks, who i also think have a better weapon skill, will ultimetly kill the kroot. Stick with lots of fire wariors. God like fire power all the way!

#13 ·

i actually really like the drones, especially with orks not so good leader ship, nad mostly 6+ saves, you can prolly pin a bunch of them ,and for broadsides, i would say, no, no

i would agree with fury and say to add a hammer head, and either more troops or stealth suits, i actually would prolly say stealth suits there very good against orks

#14 ·
In addition to the advice everyone else gave, i would get rid of the drones. You will almost never pin orks because of size checks, its not worth it usually, i'd get more fire warriors, and mabye a devilfish or two. devilfish are good against orks cuz they get you out of combat range and orks dont have many heavy weapons.

#15 ·
Chaotic Fury said:
forst of all ill answer all questions with the reference sheet
1. no i wont there rapid fire
2.no i wont
3.bs 3
4.they move 6 movement and 6 assault
5.i know they dont

you download the refernce sheet of the website so its not copyright so there i do know most of the rules apart from wepons costs
alright, calm yourself....

Strikes me that you asked for advice when you need to know the rules in general. You cant play a game wihout your codex. The reference sheet is not the codex!!!

#16 ·
willysnow said:
alright, calm yourself....

Strikes me that you asked for advice when you need to know the rules in general. You cant play a game wihout your codex. The reference sheet is not the codex!!!
Heheh, I saw this and just had to add that I noticed something on the back of the Tau codex.

There's a little line that says "You must own a copy of Warhammer 40,000 to use this book"

HAHAHAH, it's like it's an expansion to a PC game or something.

Sorry, useless post. Heheh

#17 ·
I saw this post and I figured I'd take a gander, because, like chaos I too am thinking of starting tau. Well he has the units... I only have 2 boxes of Fw and a box of kroot for Chaos modeling purposes.

How are kroot good in CC? They only have 1 attack? I work at a hobbyshop and have looked at the codex a few times, and will continue to do so. I was just wondering if i could get a good overview of why i should play tau?

I really like how Fw have that 30" range gun :p

Scratch that, I'm gonna start playing tau... I just dont know what I'm gonna do with them :p

-Centum

#18 ·
Kroot get two attacks because of their Kroot rifles... so with a squad of 20 Kroot on the charge... plus shaper, plus hounds... that's a LOT of attacks.

But of course they can lose, too. I saw a 20 Kroot squad run into some marines, kill a handful of units, and still take more wounds and lose the combat. This was a large team game, and they had just deployed, and got immediately chased off the table!

I've heard it said that they're really "counter-charge" units; when something else gets too close, you charge it.

#21 ·
Centum said:
Huh, so thats what I was missing... Now I'm excited lol, I love CC. Now I just need another few boxes of kroot and I'll be all set :p

O yeah... and an HQ lol

-Centum
well if you love close combat, honestly, dont play tau. kroot are not that good at CC, they're pretty much just a support unit. Tau is all about big guns and mobility.

#22 ·
Kroot are relatively quite horrible in cc. Well, not horrible, but no armour save and T3 they aren't anything like other army cc units. It's just that they're 7p and have cool guns, you can stick them in cover as a very useful distraction for your tau. Anything better than guardsmen can handle a kroot assault, although the cost of any unit they're assaulting is probably many more points than the kroot.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.