Librarium Online Forums banner

carnifex upgrades, are they worth it

1K views 10 replies 10 participants last post by  Retard 
#1 ·
hey, im intersted to know what you guys think of some specific carnifex upgrades, thier the most tempting for me bu ti dont know how well they work for you (i always feel like im splurging too much when i take them and havent yet been able to really judge if they are worth it)

reinforched chitin, extended carapace, regenerate, bonded exoskeleton

most appealing to me is the bonded exoskeleton (mainly because my main opponent, orks, cant hurt me with basic guys then) but im a big fan of extended carpace too....but sometimes i wonder is it worth it since las and plas ignore the big save? and are still wounding on 2s even with the T increase?

what have you guys seen or what do you think on this subject

#2 ·
I always take Ex Car. Sure, Las Cannons and Plasma rifles will ignore it, but there are generally a ton more AP3 weapons than AP2.

If I can, I like both the T and W upgrade on my shooty Fex, since I hold him back and avoid combat. When I only have points for 1 upgrade, I go with RChitin, since the extra wound increases my Fexes survivability more than the Bonded Exoskeleton.

#3 ·
I say never take the toughness seven, unless you know you're facing orks. Extended carpace will save you from tons of fire (almost everything ordenance, missle launchers, and every weapon people bring because they are used to fightiong marines) The wound always helps unless you get hit by a force weapon, which never happens to my carni; they always go straint for my tyrant, and then get pissed when they can't roll a six to wound. The toughness seven however only makes a difference on weapons that are str 3, 5,6,7, and 8--sure strength 3 cannot hurt you but most units that fight in close combat are strength 4 which is unaffected, and the ranged weapons that it affects are missle launchers from range which your extended carpace will shrug off, and and meltas which can only get one wound anyways (and the points spent only help by reducing their wound chance from 84% to 67%). Lascannons and heavy gauss blasters which are the two most frequent shooters of my fexes are not affected at all and the points spent were just wasted.

Go with the save and the wound...forget about the toughness...spending too many extra points on a model that is already set up to survive isn't going to win you any games.

#5 ·
I'd go with the +1 wound and EC. For me, they are automatic. I find the +1 T a waste of points, at least against marines. I've never tried Regen as its so many pts.

Claim to fame: Never had a fex die since BGB came out.

#6 ·
T7 is very helpful against eldar...lots of S6 weapons (fusion guns, starcannon) which get reduced in effect by 1/3, and also a good share of S8 ones (brightlances).

Banshees cannot touch such a carnifex at all anymore, except for the exarch. Even when they used to wound on sixes, with their enormous number of attacks they used to be able to take out a carnifex quite easily.

Carapace...well...depends. I wouldn't take it only against AP3 weapons (krak missiles...there isn't much more), but also against the casual wounds caused by bolters and heavy bolters.

#7 ·
I am going to have to agree with everyone before me who vouched for Extended Carapace and Reinforced Chitin. Those two have worked out the best for me and so...

If you're stressed for points, go with Reinforced Chitin over Extended Carapace. Oh, and NEVER take Regenerate. You're paying for a biomorph that 5 out of 6 times won't work and will probably be put to use only about 3 times a game. For 5 points more, you can take Extended Carapace and Reinforced Chitin on another Carnifex. Better deal, imo.

Save your points, people!

leet steet

#8 ·
Maybe it's the people I play, but I use my Baitfex. He uses all the mentioned upgrades and is a Psychological killer. I drop him first and I make sure I tell my opponent about all his biomorphs, (he's not WYSIWYG, so I am doing this in the name of fairness, of course), and how hard he is to kill and what an engine of destruction he is, etc, etc, etc. Anyway, I have used him three times now and two of the times he has workes perfectly, drawing huge amounts of fire, allowing stealers and gaunts to reach CC relatively unmolested. The third time he was never shot at, but, my opponent went to great lengths to avoid him, (kinda like watching an icebreaker go through the pack ice). His two hvy weapon squads were moving half the time and so weren't firing. Once again, allowing my stealers and gaunts to reach CC relatively unmolested, (not as much as the other two games, but, still a success). When I started a thread on this idea a while back the consencus was split, but, I will continue to use him.

#9 ·
I'm not a Nid player, but as a shooting caveaut (IG, Tau, Dark Eldar) I'd recommend both the upgraded toughness and the extra armor save.

Against str 3 (IG, DE), you definately want the T7 as it negates about 80% of our shooting. I really actually rely on mass LasGun/Splinter Rifle to tack on some extra armor save rolls, and str can't even tough T7.

Also, when you consider the increased armor save, it's the same principle as before. Alot of people embed Las Cannons/Dark Lances/Melta Guns/etc into infantry squads, and don't really field dedicated Las Cannon teams (except dumb space marines). So you should anticipate losing a wound if the Las Cannon hits, but then you have a nice meaty armor save to protect you from all the small arms fire too.

If you had to make a choice, I'd go with the upgraded toughness.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.