Librarium Online Forums banner

IST with Gernades, and power weapons

414 views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  nichodemus10 
#1 ·
I see that you can buy Krak gernades for your IST at 2 points per model. Is it woirth it to give all the IST gernades or is it a waste of time? What about giving the IST Vet. a power weapon not a power fist?

#2 ·
I think giving inquisitorial stormies Krak grenades is a waste, (unless you are playing radical) you should have the majority of your troops with strength 6 attacks anyways. I main reason you use Stormies is for shooting; your plasma guns dominate MEQ armies, and your Melta guns make vehicles into soup. Once those goals are acomplished having Krak grenades doesn't seem to help; I don't know if my stormies would ever even have had the ability to use them if I were giving them to them (I think my guys have never not killed a vehicle that has armor 12 or less, and is withing 6 inches that they have fired at; if the vehicle is armor 13 the krak grenades do nothing, and if it more than 6 inches away you can't charge it anyways).

On to power weapons, I think it is proposturous to ask us to pay those point costs for a strength 3 power weapon, or a strength 6 power fist. Again once your stormies reach close combat your GK should be able to clean them off, and paying 45 or even 35 points for a storm trooper is unreal, I would much rather have a terminator, or another GreyKnight, and for those points I could get it...and it would be more effective (hits on 3s wounds on 2s versus hits on 4s wounds on 5s without a save, pretty close, but I have to go with the GK and ten extra points, or the terminator which is better in evey single way.)

#3 ·
Grenades, definatly not, especially when the IG Stormies get them for free, and I used them once in 3 years of playing IG.

Because the Deamonhunter's rmoury is expensive for power weapons, I would say if you are going to give them one do the fist, but generally the only reason I would ever take a Vet Sgt in a Deamonhunters list is to take a Teleport Homer.

#4 ·
I have no use for krak grenades, they are useless if you have grey knights in your army, and also 3 of the 4 weapons the I.S.T's have are str 6 or over. As for the sergeant, I just gie mine a hellgun and a telehomer, it works fine. The I.S.T's are not suppose to be in close combat so a powerfist is useless, it will only give him str 6 and he attacks lat, it is not worth it, as for the power weapon, it might be useful but the stormies only have ws 3 and str 3 so it would not be in as good use as say, oh, terminators ;).

#6 ·
nichodemus10 said:
I think it is proposturous to ask us to pay those point costs for a strength 3 power weapon, or a strength 6 power fist.
I agree wholeheartedly. While worth it for an Inquisitor with all his other upgrades, for a stormtrooper a plasma pistol might be worth those points, but not a power sword.

Personal note: This is why the Chaos book desperately needs a rewrite. The majority of the items in their Armory have cheaper point costs for non-Independent Characters. Chaos is the only codex with this feature. While I appreciate each army having its own focus on particular types of weapons (like the 5-point cost reduction for DH Thunder Hammers), it's so major that in terms of keeping the game fair for all players it realy needs to be changed. Or we could pay the IG points for power weapons/fists on stormtroopers, which wouldn't be all that bad either.

#7 ·
Inquisitor Solexus said:
Personal note: This is why the Chaos book desperately needs a rewrite. The majority of the items in their Armory have cheaper point costs for non-Independent Characters. Chaos is the only codex with this feature. While I appreciate each army having its own focus on particular types of weapons (like the 5-point cost reduction for DH Thunder Hammers), it's so major that in terms of keeping the game fair for all players it realy needs to be changed. Or we could pay the IG points for power weapons/fists on stormtroopers, which wouldn't be all that bad either.
Space marines have it too. That is what really frustrates me, the charectors you want to give the powerfists to get them for cheaper; If I want to give a powerfist to anybody it is a stormtrooper (he can't be singled out), but he would suck with it and it would cost a ton. For space marines their seargents get them for a discount, and can't be singled out so the initiative reduction isn't even that bad. I understand that GW likes people playing any kind of marines but bonuses like that sadden me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.