4 Crew
Light Armour

Casting Pool: 5

Dispel Pool: 4

Models in Army: 103

Total Army Cost: 1994

-------------------------------

As the title of the thread so aptly suggests, this is an army I raised to fight in a friendly tournament between friends (let's see how many will still be after Ordeith has had his will with his new slaves-to-be). The idea for the tournament is to pick a 2000 pt army list and then choose parts of it for smaller battles for territories and the like. The minor skirmishes will then inevitably lead to large-scale confrontations between (the hitherto unmentioned, I notice) 2000 pt armies.
The opponents will be shooty and heavily armoured (as opposed to great weapon-wielding) Dwarves, shooty Wood Elves with (probably) a very low number of rank-granting close combat units, and magic-heavy (for they are, after all:) High Elves.
Enough said. My reason for posting here is to get a second, third, and possibly forth opinion on my choice of troops and tactics.

Starting out with characters... I see Ld 10 as a must in any battle of 2000 pts or higher, so a highborn was the natural choice for me, even though I would have liked a High Sorceress. Too little points to go around - the usual dilemma. I have given him terror for that wonderful auto-break in close combat. The weapon combination he is given is subject to change if there are better suggestions.

For magic defence, a scroll-carrying first-level sorceress might have a higher potential, but hopefully, she will manage to pull off the odd spell. Also, she will be the general and sole character of all battles below 2000 pts - which will be, with all probability, all but one or two of the battles.

Now, for the core troops of the army. Corsairs, with their additional protection from missiles and their multiple attacks will do well against a shooty, light-armoured army of Wood Elves. Against Dwarves, their high initiative will give them the first strike, and they will retain all of their attacks on a charge - as opposed to spearmen. One unit of Corsairs is of a smaller unit size and will assist a larger block unit to add the element of a flank charge.

Spearmen are not bad, but I prefer to charge, rather than being charged; thus, I favor Corsairs. Due to a lack of models, these will have to come anyway. In the very real event of a charge coming their way, the spearmen will live to retaliate, at least.

Repeater Crossbowmen fielded in a large unit with a standard and musician as opposed to a number of smaller ones is how I prefer to play it. The crossbowmen will follow the main force, shoot, move and shoot if they have to, and fight in close combat with their 4+ save in close combat as a block, adding the weight of ranks and numbers.

Dark Riders, I keep telling me, get the models. Now! Well, it never happened, but I will field them anyway, borrowing models if I have to. Two units of five without repeater crossbows, used mainly for flanking enemy units as they are tied up with my main blocks of troops. The idea is for each of the units to march beside the unit they will be assisting in close combat.

The only special choice in the Dark Host, a unit of Cold One Knights speak for themselves. A charge of these will hopefully be able to auto-break units - at least if assisted by, say, a unit of Dark Riders for flanking?

Finally, two Reaper (I almost wrote Repair >_<;;) Bolt Throwers. Even if these fine warmachines should not cause casualities enough to please bloodthirsty Khaine, they will no doubt disuade parts of enemy movement by their mere presence on the battlefield.

So, to sum it up, I have four blocks of troops, Cold One Knights included, and three smaller flanking units to assist the four smaller ones. I have Cold One Knights causing fear and the highborn general in the large Corsair unit causing terror. A win with any of these in close combat will prove a pleasant experience. Reaper Bolt Throwers will fire away at what they can, and Repeater Crossbowmen will whittle away the odd number of enemy models before finally engaging in close combat themselves. The sorceress will stay within five inches of the main bulk in order to give support where it will most probably be needed.

Constructive criticism much appreciated, for it will lead to the betterment of all Druchii-kind!
Keep in mind, however, that Ordeith will have to select from the troops available in his 2000 pt army list for the minor battles as well! (I have army lists of 500, 1000, and 1,500 pts based on this list, just to make sure that the smaller armies are possible to field as well as being well-balanced).

EDIT: Some point totals removed. Please be careful about posting totals that can reveal the per model / item cost. Thanks. :) ~DavidVC04

See less See more
#2 · (Edited by Moderator)
i dont have time to read all that stuff at the end, but ill quickly run over your list.

Unnamed2000 Pts - Dark Elves Army

1 Liandrin - Seer of Clar Karond (Sorceress) @ 175 Pts
Magic Level 2; Lore of Dark Arts
Darkstar Cloak
Seal of Ghrond
Theres nothing wrong with this, the only problem is that she is the only mage!. In a 2000pt game, 1 level 2 will not get many (if any..) spells off. the only usefulness is the extra dispell dice if you are playing against an opponent with some decent magic. But yeah it wont do anything in terms of damaging the enemy.

1 Ordeith of Karond Kar (Highborn) @ 240 Pts
General; Heavy Armour; Sea Dragon Cloak
Shield of Ghrond
Sword of Might
Deathmask
What unit is he joining? Drop the shield of ghrond and put him on a Cold one with a great weapon. have him join the knights. that will also make him a bit cheaper. Also, give the seal of ghrond to him, it will be safer than on the weak sorceress.

21 Ordeith's Raiders (Corsairs) @ 270 Pts
2ndWeapon; Light Armour; Sea Dragon Cloak; Standard; Musician
War Banner
1 Reaver
21 is probably too many. Most people take 12-18. Keep the standard bearer but drop the war banner, it makes them a little too expensive.

5 Wolves of Karond Kar (Dark Riders) @ 97 Pts
Spear; Light Armour; Musician
5 Dark Steed
Only ever take these with crossbows!. a unit of 5 with crossbows will come to 120. If you cand find a spare 12 points, put the sorceress on a dark steed and make her join there.. a mage that can move 18" and then cast spells is pretty lethal.

20 Eagle-Eyes of Karond Kar (Warriors) @ 255 Pts
Repeating Crossbow; Light Armour; Shield; Standard; Musician
Split this into 2 units of 10 and drop the standard bearers. they dont need combat resolution since they shouldnt be fighting.

19 Dark-Spears of Karond Kar (Warriors) @ 185 Pts
Spear; Light Armour; Shield; Standard; Musician
1 Lordling
Due to the "19" im assuming the highborn was going here?. The squad set up is fine. If you do what i said above and put the HB with the knights, then just bump these back up to 20.
If you really dont want to make him join the knights, then here will still be ok. i guess. I normally only use nobles in infantry squads.

12 Black Ark Raiders (Corsairs) @ 140 Pts
2ndWeapon; Light Armour; Sea Dragon Cloak
1 Reaver
Like i said above. Now that ive seen these.. instead of 21 & 12.. make it 2 squads of 15 with full command.
I like the squad name.;)

9 Dreadmist Chargers of Karond Kar (Cold One Knights) @ 335 Pts
Lance; Heavy Armour; Shield; Standard; Musician
1 Dread Knight
10 Cold One
Dont take a second row of cold one knights, they are too expensive. Take them in squads of 5-6. If you want to keep the others the take a second squad of 5.

5 Hawks of Karond Kar (Dark Riders) @ 97 Pts
Spear; Light Armour; Musician
5 Dark Steed
You will need to drop these to afford crossbows on the other dark riders. Or drop something else and give this squad crossbows too.

2 Karond Kar Dread Reapers (Reaper Bolt Thrower) @
4 Crew
Light Armour
These are great.

Casting Pool: 5

Dispel Pool: 4

Models in Army: 103
Lousy magic. Good numbers.

With the changes i suggested, you will have some spare points, use them to take unit of harpies. or a chariot back up the knights.

do you know what armies you will mostly be fighting against?

anyway. hope i helped. back to work :rolleyes:

#3 ·
Thank you for your thorough commenting. As I am a bit short of time at the moment, I will have to delay my full reply, but I will take a good look at your suggestions. Just skimming through your post in a rush, I have come up with a number of changes. Reducing the number of Cold One Knight in one unit and giving the Dark Riders repeater crossbows are some of the issues I will look into first.
Regarding the Corsairs, however, I still feel differently. My main tactic is having a number of larger blocks that add ranks and numbers, with a smaller flanking unit assisting it. This would be my first time utilising this approach so thoroughly (or at least attempting to), so it might not be at all successful.
I believe I stated that my opponents would be Dwarves, High Elves and Wood Elves. Now, it seems, a Chaos army might come in my way as well. My posting in such a text-heavy manner might have contributed to this misunderstanding, however. Likely, it will have scared everyone but you away as well. I am very grateful for your taking your time with my would-be host and will look into the changes as soon as I can. Also, I might post the fluff soon (in the forum where it belongs, that is).

#4 ·
I agree with Manu_Forti's comments. I'd like to add an analysis.

WE and HE can be as fast if not faster than you, and nearly as shooty. Dwarves are much sturdier and shootier. Chaos is hard to say without knowing your foe, but likely more brutal in close combat, and fairly elite/expensive.

Of the armies you have listed, you are the closest to a horde army. As such, big blocks of troops are good, but you probably want spearmen rather than corsairs, cause you'll be outclassed in CC anyway. You basically just want a cheap block to hold the front, while something else flanks. If you want the corsairs, maybe the extra charge banner to give you an edge on the other elves?

And I agree that you are SERIOUSLY magic deficient. If you are facing HE with 4 only DD, you will get pounded. Chaos can also get nasty powerful magic. If you aren't going to pump a lot of points into magic, I'd go total defense, and drop the lvl2 to lvl1.

#5 · (Edited)
kooshlord said:
Of the armies you have listed, you are the closest to a horde army. As such, big blocks of troops are good, but you probably want spearmen rather than corsairs, cause you'll be outclassed in CC anyway.
A good point. I still haven't gotten used to the lower points cost of regular warriors, a fact which might reflect in my unit choices still. As it stands, however, I own 30 Corsairs and 30 Spearmen, and any spare money I come across in a near future will go to purchasing some Dark Riders for my DE army and some Zombies and Skeletons for my VC one.

kooshlord said:
And I agree that you are SERIOUSLY magic deficient. If you are facing HE with 4 only DD, you will get pounded. Chaos can also get nasty powerful magic. If you aren't going to pump a lot of points into magic, I'd go total defense, and drop the lvl2 to lvl1.
This is the main flaw I could find in my army list, and you and Manu_Forti both have pointed it out to me beyond doubt now. There's no escaping it, I suppose... :unsure:
Although I do want a Highborn for that extra punch in close combat, might taking either a High Sorceress or two additional Sorceresses perhaps outweight his efficiency? I could make do with only Ld8, I suppose, but it might get rough. I will have to go either low magic or magic heavy to make a difference. Magic is expensive, though, so it would mean lessening the number of models I can field.

The main problem I am faced with is that for armylists of lower points values, I will have to pick everything from this list (the same is true of my opponents and their respective lists, of course). I can drop numbers and equipment from existing units to make them fit the other lists, but not add numbers or units to them.

While my HE opponent might want to invest in a powerful Lvl 4 wizard, this will take close to 400 points from his list to include a character who will be fighting in only one or two battles. As the same goes for me, perhaps two Sorceresses would prove better? Or a Sorceress and a Noble?

#6 ·
personally, I'd drop some of your cold ones and field 2 lvl 1 (defense) sorceresses and a highborn. I'd also consider dropping the highborn to a noble. while DE can be somewhat nasty, especially against other elves, Chaos and Dwarves will probably cream a HE lord in CC.

I disagree with Manu_Forti that Dark Riders w/out RxB are worthless. It is nice to have a sacrificial unit, and a 90ish pt unit that is fast cav is excellent. Charge those war machines. Charge those bowmen. If you die, so what. I'd field two units, 1 w/ RxB and 1 without.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.