Librarium Online Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mini VW Combat Patrol - Round 2, Battle 12 - Imperial Guard versus Orks

972 views 20 replies 10 participants last post by  [*NoCo*] 
#1 ·
Please see the Combat Patrol Mini Info Thread on how to participate in these games. I want to stress to everyone that the mission means everything. He who stands the best way to score Victory Points should be the winner. All missions have the Infiltration and Victory Points special rules. All missions are played with the Combat Patrol rules set.

Imperial Guard

Wikings

Command Squad
junior officer
las pistol and CC weapon
4x guardsman
1x Lasgun; 1x heavy bolter; 2x grenade launcher

junior officer
las pistol and CC weapon
4x guardsman
1x Lasgun; 1x heavy bolter; 2x grenade launcher

10x guardsmen
8x Lasguns; 1x heavy bolter; 1x grenade launcher

10x guardsmen
8x Lasguns; 1x heavy bolter; 1x grenade launcher

1x sentinel:
multilaser; extra armor; rough terrain modifications

1x sentinel:
multilaser; extra armor; rough terrain modifications

------------------------

Orkses are da best!

5x Burna Boyz: 94
4x Slugga & Choppa
Mekboy w/ Choppa; Kustom Force Field; Mekboyz Toolz; 3x Grot Oilers

2x Killa Kans
Big Shoota; DCCW; Armour Plates

2x Killa Kans

2x Killa Kans

See less See more
#4 ·
No Helbrecht, kan armour is higher than that on front and sides. Those heavy bolters need 6's to hurt them at all.

#9 ·
Gah, where are your autocannons when you need them?
i really like the guard force, i think it's beautifully balanced and well composed.

But the orks will win the fight. There's just too much armour, the guard won't be able to take down even half before it's too late.

Green is best.

#11 ·
hah hah, funny how 3 war walkers got screamed down as cheese and 6 killa kanz is fine.

Orks take this one without a doubt, Ig just can't kill them before they hit cc and in cc they can't be touched. I'm windering if the big shootas will win the game for them before they can even hit cc.

#12 ·
hah hah, funny how 3 war walkers got screamed down as cheese and 6 killa kanz is fine.
Thats generally because anything in the ork codex save looted vehicles, battlewagons, and any HQ would fit in as a patrol force where as precious eldar walkers would be better guarding something important where there heavy weapons are best used.

#13 ·
That makes no sense. It is fluff from the codex.

War walkers are the equivalent of sentinels, they are the light scouts of the eldar, roaming ahead to remove early threats.

Are sentinels unfluffy patrol units because they can carry a heavy lascannon?

#14 ·
Frag....that one was meant for wraithlords not warwalkers..

(I think three warwalkers with the exact same setup, IE all starcannons, is not fluffy for patrol but pretty much anything else is or else your just whining.)

#15 ·
Well, it's probably less cheesy considering the fact that they sport a fraction of the firepower of the Eldar list. Eldar weapons hit on 3+, wound MEQs on 2+, and disallow saves. The Orks hit on a whopping 2+, wound MEQs on a 4+, and even carapace armour can be taken for a save. They're just meaner in CC, and quite a bit more survivable.

Personally, I'm fascinated by the idea of the Ork Patrol. While not exactly balanced, and I'm sure the author was going for something less than sporting, I actually find it extremely fluffy. A mekboy with his favourite team running around with a big squad of cans trying to keep them running, just for the sole purpose of finding the enemy and squishing them.

Mekboy - "Da enemies sup'sed to be 'round 'ere somew'ere..."
Kan #1 - "'Eh! I see 'oomies! CRUMP 'EM!"
Mekboy - "Right! Letz let da boss know so we can squash 'em right so!"
... <Sounds of clanking and big shootas>
Mekboy - "Boyz?"
<More sounds of clanking and big shootas, moving away from the Mekboy>
Mekboy - "Oye, wait up! I want in on the crumpin' too!"

#16 ·
Of course you can write up believable fluff for any combat patrol. Even one containing all 3 marine HQ's in a command squad.

Eldar stuff is only BS3.

Ork shooting is stronger, I would prefer 2 big shootas over a starcannon (well maybe not but like you said they are more resilient and infinitely better in cc).

I would have thought an ork patrol would either be kommando's or basic slugga boyz.

"You lot (pointing at the scum of the waaagh). Go find some humies to fight so's we can crump em."

That seems like the basis of an ork patrol.

3 war walkers all with the same setup is unfluffy. And 6 identical kanz aren't?

#17 ·
Eldar stuff is only BS3.
Doh! Well, still far better than a BS of 2.

Ork shooting is stronger, I would prefer 2 big shootas over a starcannon (well maybe not but like you said they are more resilient and infinitely better in cc).
Each Kan only has one Big Shoota. So that's six Shootas versus six Starcannons.

3 war walkers all with the same setup is unfluffy. And 6 identical kanz aren't?
Obviously Fluff is in the eye of the beholder. What is fluffy to one won't always be fluffy to another. Of course you can justify just about anything if you're creative enough. I was simply making conversation, really - not trying to influence anyone's opinion.

But if you check out the Orks last fight, you'll see that they didn't score a single fluff vote, while their opponent scored two or three. So it seems that you're not the only one who believe six Kans tramping about to be particularly fluffy.

#18 ·
Dude.. those killa cans will shred those guardsmen. This is one of these times when 40k starts to remind you of a game of rock/paper/scissors, sometimes what you choose for your army just cant beat the things your enemy has. Ah well... Da orks for tha win.

#20 ·
grenade launchers str 8 ap 4 range 48 they will slaugther the kanz and there is 6 of them
Try S6 at half the range you quoted. You're mixing up grenade launchers with krak missile launchers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.