New to LOTR... - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New to LOTR...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New to LOTR...

Hello there, Im long time WH40k and fantasy player but recently I think Ive gotten bitten by the LOTR bug or something because I've developed a great interest in the game lately. I've gotten the mines of moria set, 2 boxes of warriors of minas tirith, mordor orcs and got 2 boxes of rangers on the way. As you can see I think this game is great, love the game system, the miniatures , ect. Since I plan on starting a league of some sort of this game at my local gaming shop, I would like to get some advice on playing a minas tirith army (like what heroes are good to have, army set up and things like that). Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Senior Member Grand Master Belial's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x1)

Okay, I'm going to ally two forces together. Grey Company and Minas Tirith.

For Minas Tirith, Take at least a Captain of Minas Tirith or more to fulfill the required hero slot for that force. Force choices are Citadel Guard (Bodyguard), Knights and Warriors of Minas Tirith.

For the Grey Company; Strider/Aragorn with Rangers of Arnor (same as Gondor Rangers). To bulk up heroes you have the cheap Dunedain, Elladan & Elrohir and Halbarad with Arwen's Banner.

Magic can come from either variant of Gandalf or Radaghast.

You can include other heros from the Fellowship like Boromir, Legolas and Gimli as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First off, thank you for the reply Belial. I was thinking of doing sort of a osgiliath themed army led by faramir with heavy armor. Do you think having him is a good idea? aside from that i just got some fountain court models from a friend ( about 5 of them) are they any good? Oh, and one last thing, is it nessecary to have the legions of middle earth book to play non scenario based games, like just skirmish games? thanks again.

p.s. what is the normal points limit you guys play at? what would be good for a tournament of say 8 people?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

faramir is a beast, he may not have the almost unstoppable power of boromir, but for his pts, OMG. lol. Fountain court is REALLY good too with their D7 with sheild. Your gonna need more than 5 of them though. I would say at least 10 and thats if you were using him as somewhat of bodyguards for your heros. Also think about getting Armored Boromir, he is so beats your gonna think he has laser eyes!

Tornament lists are usually 700 pts but they can go as low as 300 or has high as 1500. 700 is the best though (in my opinion).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x1)

Legions is required for the most part. Many of the lists have been updated in subsequent Sourcebooks. I'm in the process of creating a Spreadsheet that updates LoME. I actually used it in my prior post.

The Legions list that you want from your post as the main is the Rangers of Ithilien list.

Quick rundown:
    Heroes
    Faramir, Damrod, Madril, Cirion, & Captain of Minas Tirith

Warriors
    Citadel Guard, Osgiliath Veteran, Ranger of Gondor, Warrior of Minas Tirith

Ally with the Tower of Ecthelion List adds the following:
    Heroes
    King Aragorn/Elessar; Beregond; Captain Boromir, Denethor, Guard Peregrin

Warriors
    Guard of the Fountain Court, Knight of Minas Tirith

You've got plenty of points to cover a 700 pt list. The trick would be in flexibility. You've got lots of bows and boots on the ground. You need additional Might from Heavy-hitting heroes and Captains and Banners to bolster the courage of the troops. Magic and Cavalry I would add as-needed depending on scenario and opponents.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

a good army does not have very many choices for magic so its best to get something to replace it, maybe a avenger bolt thrower. Also, if u need any more might, Boromir and Aragorn are the guys you want. Boromir has an obscene amount of might and Aragorn gets 1 might per turn.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    54 (x1)

You can also ally with the Grey Company, they have some great choices as well, and they also ignore the bow limit. They have the elven twin which are an incredible pair, there 150 for both of them with armour, and there basically 2 Faramirs, but with a fight of 6, and they have 2 hand weapons or a two handed weapon, and can also fight as if they had a shield.

Basically you can have ranger of arnor behind men of minas tirith with spears, this way the ranger get protection from the minas tirith men, and and the ranger support when combat hits. and you can use there better fight value if need be to help you win fights.

The ally system is the best thing about lotr, and if your gona include a wizard in your army you can pretty much ally with any good army, since the wizards can ally with almost any army you make them your main army, seam weird but you can do it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks alot guys for the responses. I got a game tommorrow against my friends new mordor list @ 500 pts. I hope put up a good fight since he'll be playing with that army i think in the las vegas gt this friday.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by Squeakypig View Post
    a good army does not have very many choices for magic so its best to get something to replace it, maybe a avenger bolt thrower. Also, if u need any more might, Boromir and Aragorn are the guys you want. Boromir has an obscene amount of might and Aragorn gets 1 might per turn.
    Remember you can't have King Elessar/Aragorn AND Captain Boromir in the same army. One or both has to be the Fellowship variety if you use both.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lok, i;m a Haradrim bug, and my specialty is a dwarf army, whereas i also can squish a minas tirith army with a little luck, but that Inch of run extra means i'm after them for longer. Put it this way--- Minas tirith armies have a certain thing about them.... decency. You have the ability to pick from several lines of Gondor. Clansmen of Lamedon, Dol amroth, and of course rangers of gondor are all decent.
    If you're gonna do a Lotr Minas tirith army, use the boromir from the mines of moria pack, with the 2 packs of minas tirith warriors, and buy a captain and banner. that's approximately 600 points. Or, a 750 pts force, take out those archers of Minas tirith, replace with rangers of gondor, buy a Boromir of the white tower, and add enough Knights of dol amroth to make up for the few last pts. By doing this you have a army with 8 Might, 2 heroes ( 8 might is good for two heroes) and a large number of ordinary warriors to fight with the captain and boromir, 16 rangers of gondor aiming at important enemies from the corner, and the dol amroth knights to rush into enemy lines and stab-stab where it might just hurt

+ Reply to Thread