Bretonnians as Swan Knights? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bretonnians as Swan Knights?

So I want to do an army of the Fiefdoms. I very much like the classic "heavy cavalry" feel of the Swan Knights, but I balk at having to buy individual metal knights at $12.00 apiece. Especially given that there are only two models to choose from.

What I'm thinking is to buy a box of Bretonnian Knights of the Realm and some of the 60mm bases. This reduces the "per-Knight" cost from $12.00 to a little under $6.00 and gives some more variety in my models. I've already bought a Captain and a Standard Bearer from the LotR line, so I have those roles filled. And I may fashion better Swan Knight-esque heads out of resin casts to make them look more like their leaders.

What I would like to know is if you folks can think of a compelling reason not to do this. Also, is there a WHFB unit that would reasonably stand in for Dol Amroth Men-at-Arms and Lossarnach Axemen? The only reason to stay with the LotR line that I can currently come up with is that it allows me to build unhorsed knights, which is useful if the horses themselves take hits in battle.

Emperor Protect ... my pants!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    54 (x1)

I don't think this would be a good idea, although it does save you money, the models won't look right. LoTR uses a true scale for there models, while WFB models use a hero scale, there hands, heads and weapons are larger than they actually should be.

Plus, I think the LoTR models are way better in general to WFB models, sure they may cost a bit more, but hey, bite the bullet and go with it, because Swan Knights will look 100 times better than using Knights of the round.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    542 (x8)

I have considered doing the same, in reverse, and using Swan Knights, etc. as Bretonnian heroes, as our own can be a bit bland. I say go for it!

Tekore

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    61 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by Tekore View Post
    I have considered doing the same, in reverse, and using Swan Knights, etc. as Bretonnian heroes, as our own can be a bit bland. I say go for it!

Tekore
    And altough I haven't played WHFB for years, I have to disagree...
    Wouldn't the LotR minis look a litte off, too small compared with the other knights?
    Currently painting the Waaagh! of Warboss Borboss - Goff and Evil Sunz warband

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah I hadn't considered scale. I suppose it would look off having knights of a different scale. Ah well I guess if I want different looking models I'll just have to bust out the Green Stuff.
    Emperor Protect ... my pants!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    27 (x0)

plus there are other factors to consider

LotR uses round bases, not square, and it would look a little out of place to have otherwise (plus it makes more difference with LotR's), so you'd have to do some work making them glue on stable on a round base.

and the big factor, you'd never be able to use them anywhere except at home, due to conflicting IP or copyright thingys (or whatever it is)

Senior Member Grand Master Belial's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x1)

LotR minis are also sculpted at 25mm Scale while WHFB is sculpted at 28mm Scale. Those 3mm in height is very noticable on the table. especially when your regular knights would stand broader and taller than your heroes when placed on slotabases.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unless the rules have dramatically changed in the past year, It's against the rules to use models from one Gameset in another.

+ Reply to Thread