warhammer ancient battles - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

warhammer ancient battles

hey,
    can anyone tell me what the warhammer ancient battle games are like? how different is it from the fantasy warhammer?....besides no magic =P

Orks- 1/0/1
    Imperial Guard- 2/0/7(8)
    Empire- 0/1/5

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I believed that Warhammer Ancient Battles (WAB ) uses the 2nd edition Warhammer Fantasy rules. It is currently at version 1.5 so not much has changed since it came out. Otherwise it is not much different from WFB.

There is no magic phase/turn so the game goes a lot faster than WFB.
    The are no uber characters and no magic items so it seems a bit more balanced.
    I've also been told that it is usually best to play same period armies otherwise some later armies might have a bit more advantage. Examples would be biblical armies tend to have problems when faced with later darkages or crusader era armies.

Armies might be somewhat less expensive than GW since there are more manufacturer of historical minis.

Overall, I play both WAB & WFB and enjoyed them both.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

are the army set ups similar?
    like lord/hero (HQ), core, special, etc or do they have their own system because i do see command squad like miniature groups...
    Orks- 1/0/1
    Imperial Guard- 2/0/7(8)
    Empire- 0/1/5

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The setup are somewhat similar except that terminologies are different.
    Each army have their own requirements with majority of point being in the "core" unit.
    For some, core could mean infantry for most armies,knights for medieval periods, horsemen for nomadic horde, etc.
    All armies must have 1 general with the option for Battle Standard.
    ----------
    One of the best source for WAB info is thru the Yahoo group Wablist. The group is very active and very helpful to newcomers. A lot of the WAB authors are also active members of the group.

Consumate professional Sir Theobold the Lame's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    280 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by amongor View Post
    I believed that Warhammer Ancient Battles (WAB ) uses the 2nd edition Warhammer Fantasy rules. It is currently at version 1.5 so not much has changed since it came out. Otherwise it is not much different from WFB.
    Have to correct you there, the original WAB was based on the WHFB rules that were around at the time it was developed, which were the 5th edition rules. Obviously its fairly different than THAT edition of WHFB (Herohammer) as there is less of a focus on characters and magic. But your right in saying its very similar to WFB, the basic mechanics are identical and if your familiar with the fantasy rules the change from one to the other is pretty natural.

The new WAB (version 2) is rumoured to be coming out by the end of the year.
    PLAN CLAN MAN!!

He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man- S. Johnson

+ Reply to Thread