How to get started with the LOTR strategy battle game? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How to get started with the LOTR strategy battle game?

Hello!

I've recently become interested in starting the Lord of the Rings strategy battle game. I don't really know anyone else in my area who plays it; but I'm hoping to get a group of my mates into it as well. Thing is, I'm not entirely sure what I'll need to get started besides the main rulebook.

My understanding is that the game is simply split into 'Forces of Good' and 'Forces of Evil' – no force organisation charts or anything like that. So, could I get away with simply grabbing what I like and building armies with that? For sake of example, Gandalf and the Rangers of Middle Earth box for good, and Saruman and some Uruk-hai for evil? Or is there more to it than that?

If anyone could give me some pointers on how to get a couple of small armies up and running quickly and cheaply, that would be superb.

Cheers,
    Nechriah

King Kong is my hero - causing property damage and scaring the middle class are two of my favourite things

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

in LotR the armies are themed in list which can ally (the lomE book ensures this as well as the latter source books; which contain further rules)

every contigent of good or evil can ally with some other good or evil forces, and you can take those with your force, each contigent must include a hero to lead it, and may at max have 33% bows

Anyway, it's imho the best system GW has to offer, easy to learn, but hard to master as weel
    Since you're starting from scratch I'd advise taking

Mines of moria
    (granting you a rulebook like in Assault on Black Reach, no fluff but all rules and most minis rules, and some minis)

for evil, you'd need a leader (preferably Durburz or a Shaman)

for good you'd need warriors
    either Dwarf Warriors (led by Gimli) or Wood Elf Warriors (led by Legolas)

advantages of dwarves are: more forgiving for new players and the fact that they share their 'armybook' with the goblins

So if you'd buy

Mines of Moria €65
    Box of Dwarf Warriors €25
    Durburz €11,50
    Giant Bats € 11,50
    SourceBook €17,50

total: €130,50

then you'll have an evil army of 295 points
    and a Good army of 296 points

and for over 400 points spare good heroes

this seem very low points but remember that LotR is a skirmish game, at 300 points is just fine for a beginners army, and in this you got 2 (you can skip either, just ommit Dwarf warriors or Durburz/Giant Bats) and you got 2 armie books and the main rulebook

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I bought Mines of Moria at 70% (Sandvika, Norway for those interested) Actually a little cheaper as the starting price was lower than in the GW-store.

As I've just introduced W40k in the family and want to concentrate on that, how playable is the Mines of Moria as "the second game". We probably want to take this game out and play sometimes, but our money will be put in w40k.

Can we enjoy a fair amount of games with this set without buying more?

And how easy is it to expand a little bit at a time on this when we find some models we really like or just want a little bit bigger game? As I see from the post above, it seems reasonable to expand a little bit at a time.
    Hit eit steg
    og dit eit steg.
    Så vandrar vi fram på skuleveg.
    - An old viking war chant

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    37 (x2)

ok just a noob myself but I am in exactly the same position as you so what a am doing is just slowly plodding along trying to buy all the evil forces of the fellowship of the ring journey book this way when a scenario gets old me and my sister who is taking good only need a box or so more stuff however when ever there is a senior that requires litte or no spending we both buy a unit for our chosen army rohan for her mordor for my self. After fellowship of the ring we will two towers and return of the king at which point we will own heaps of small forces with which to expand on but we will never have had to spend much at once

+ Reply to Thread