interested in playing but not sure.... - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

interested in playing but not sure....

I'm interested In playing lotr but I was wondering how it played first.
    1)Can you do standard battles like in warhammer where you line up across from each other and march in or is it all mission orianted like d&d minis or is a combonation of both???

2)is mines of moria the best way to trial playing??

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2)i guess its not because no one seems to play lol.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    117 (x6)

I dont have my own Lotr army, but a friend of mine has 2 armies and we had a quick game once.. the rules are pretty simple & crappy, and there isnt alot of room for any strategy etc..

I suppose for die-hard LotR fans it would be ok for display models (even though the models arent really that great either). As a game however, it is extremely lacking & rather boring, you get about 1 turn of shooting, which is very ineffective in Lotr, then you get into close combat, which drags on until the end of the game because nothing seems to die.

to answer your question though, yes its fairly similar to WHFB in that you line up across from eachotehr and march into them on a 'standard mission' (kill eachother).
    Dont know about mines of moria.

my opinion is dont waste your money on it. Good old Warhammer fantasy battle is the way to go if you're looking for a 'swords, knights & wizards' type game.
    Last edited by Manu_Forti; July 8th, 2006 at 11:46.
    Dark Elves - Game #28 vs High Elves: Draw
    W L D
    21 5 5

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ok thanx
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hex
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    80 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by Manu_Forti
    I dont have my own Lotr army, but a friend of mine has 2 armies and we had a quick game once.. the rules are pretty simple & crappy, and there isnt alot of room for any strategy etc..

I suppose for die-hard LotR fans it would be ok for display models (even though the models arent really that great either). As a game however, it is extremely lacking & rather boring, you get about 1 turn of shooting, which is very ineffective in Lotr, then you get into close combat, which drags on until the end of the game because nothing seems to die.

to answer your question though, yes its fairly similar to WHFB in that you line up across from eachotehr and march into them on a 'standard mission' (kill eachother).
    Dont know about mines of moria.

my opinion is dont waste your money on it. Good old Warhammer fantasy battle is the way to go if you're looking for a 'swords, knights & wizards' type game.
    I kind of agree with you here, the only way of making the game really fun is a Mumak or something like it... armies like Minas Tirith are just heavily armoured & too hard to kill. A fun way of playing though is with doubled Strength, it makes things more realistic. I still enjoy a small LOTR skirmish though once in a while, and painting the charcaters and the strong sense of narrative is good.
    "Well... that hurt" - Vampire Jon Skellan (Mannfred's right hand man) after being beaten up, falling down an underground waterfall and being impaled by a stalactite.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Personally I love the game over warhammer and I've been an avid player since I was 13 (21 now). Now in response to the doubling strength for "realism" I would have to disagree, LOTR is fairly realistic when it comes to armor and damage dealing. Most my friends being Warhammer players most of their knowledge or "expertise" on weapons and armor generally comes from the movies where arrows from longbows go through armor like butter, chainmail an plate armor are ineffective against any kind of steel or iron weapon. In LOTR weapons and armor are realistic and mostly accurate to how real life armor works and hard to kill a man in plate actually is to kill. I will agree that some games will go quite slow w/ bad rolls but all in all fun game just not for everybody

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    70 (x1)

I play LOTR every weekend, and always have a blast playing it. I don't know what is meant by only 1 turn of shooting, seriously? Shooting is extremely effective in LOTR, but only if you shoot the right stuff. It's an extremely simple game to learn, as I've had friends just jump in and play off the bat, but much harder to play well. Unlike 40k and fantasy, lists don't dominate as much. Since everyone's their own unit, it adds a massive amount of different strategies and ways to fight. It is also much more realistic than both major game systems. If your entire army is killed except one unit, like hell that one unit is going to stay in battle and fight the entire enemy army. Leaders really come into their own in LOTR.

If you are setting up across from each other, and just running towards the enemy then you're playing the wrong game. The only boring games I've seen is involving same type armies (easterlings vs. gondor) or dwarves vs another heavily armored army.
    Signature? What, do I sign my name here or something?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    42 (x1)

lord of the rings is brilliant, i love this game, i play a lot and its great fun, mines of moria isnt really a good way to learn id say, just get a rulebook and two boxes of warriors and go from there, small games are very fun and fast-paced and you can get some great moments

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think to say that the game is unrealistic and to say it's boring is so easily reversible to Warhammer and Warhammer 40k. To me, they are so unrealistic and insanely unlikely (whole units jack it when a couple casualties are taken) etc. Warhammer, 40k, LOTr are all different for a reason. if they were all the same, why bother have different names? Call them all Warhammer, or 40k, or lord of the lamps and guns and flying stuff.

Anyway, I like LOTR for different reasons to why people hate it, etc. That's just my 2 cents.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    70 (x1)

VashnirLord, if this was facebook I would like your post
    Signature? What, do I sign my name here or something?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast