Starting Rohan, what do you think of this? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Starting Rohan, what do you think of this?

Hi, I'm getting into LotR for the first time, and here is a (big) Rohan army. I already know how to play (intro games at my local store, and the locla Vets teaching me Cavalry tactics).

To get into the game properly, I have a Gondorian force on the go, in much smaller stages, but I fancied a large Rohan army, as they are essentially Anglo Saxons (on horses), and I am nuts about Anglo Saxons. And I love the Pelennor Fields section of the books/films.

Here is my initial 1K force (approximately)

Left Flank:
    Eomer: Bow, Throwing Weapons, Shield & Horse.
    8 Riders: Bows & Spears.

Centre
    Theoden: Shield, Heavy Armour & Warhorse.
    8 Royal Guard: Throwing Weapons & Horses.
    Eowyn: Throwing Weapon, Armour & Shield.
    Merry
    16 Warriors: Shields.
    16 Warriors : Throwing Weapons & Shields.
    2 Warriors: Standards.

Right flank

Erkenbrand
    8 Riders: Bows & Spears.

Theoden and his Royal Guard hold back until enemy is in charge range. They then rush forward and pin the enemy long enough for the Foot to catch up. Eowyn and Merry double-team up to give me a Heroic centre to the Infantry, and the Standards are off to the sides of the lines.

The Wings shoot up the enemy, thinning the hordes out so the entre can deal wit them more easily. Can then "flank-charge" enemy formations etc. Against enemy Monsters I sue Heroic Shooting - like this example: I see a Mumak on the fields. The 2 wings converge upon it, and unleash a hail of arrows, using a Heroic Shoot to try to kill the driver/goader (and any other Howdah crew) of the Mumak, so that it tramples around

I may drop 2 Royal Guard to get Gamling in with Theoden, for a "powerhouse" centre. Good idea or not? Do I have enough Foot troops - or for that matter, enough on the Wings?

What do you think of it?
    And here are a few questions I thought about after looking at my list, that I have been wondering about.

I have just re-read the Pelennor sections of the Book, and have a few questions:

Will it be bad to replace Erkenbrand with a generic Captain on a Horse, as in the books Elfhelm leads the right flank?

In the same way, would it be bad to move Eomer to the Centre, to support Theoden, and have a generic Captain leading the Left Flank, as this was led by Grimbold in the books?

Do you reckon people would let me get away with using " counts as" rules, for the following:

Gamling's rules to represent Guthlif - as it is Guthlif who is named as Theoden's standard bearer in the Book, or is it more on par to just take a generic mounted banner (Related question: Can a Royal Guard carry a banner? I don't have the books on me to check, and there is a model entitled "royal guard banner bearer" in the Online Store)

Eomer's rules to represent Grimbold on the Left Flank (which means no Eomer in the centre, obviously)?

Erkenbrand to represent Elfhelm on the Right Flank?

Or, can generic Captains be just as killy/supportive in leading my flankers, given Heavy Armour, Bows, Throwing Weapons & Horses?

Or, should I just abandon accuracy as I have it here, and run the army as in my post?

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone have any advice/criticisms for me?

Senior Member Grand Master Belial's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by Treadhead_the_mighty View Post
    I may drop 2 Royal Guard to get Gamling in with Theoden, for a "powerhouse" centre. Good idea or not? Do I have enough Foot troops - or for that matter, enough on the Wings?

What do you think of it?
    And here are a few questions I thought about after looking at my list, that I have been wondering about.
    Gamling is good and with the Royal banner he helps more of the sons of Rohan. Though I would drop a horse from the wings and make up the diffence with a warrior or two.

I have just re-read the Pelennor sections of the Book, and have a few questions:

Will it be bad to replace Erkenbrand with a generic Captain on a Horse, as in the books Elfhelm leads the right flank?
    No it is not that bad to drop Erkenbrand. The cost is in how much M/W/F you lose. This savings could allow you to bring in more troops to make the force a little larger. Though by the book, you should have the whole army mounted.

In the same way, would it be bad to move Eomer to the Centre, to support Theoden, and have a generic Captain leading the Left Flank, as this was led by Grimbold in the books?
    No it is not bad, you are free to do what you want. Though again you are compromising how much M/W/F you have spread around the board. Having Eomer away from Theoden allows you to have another strong hero to call for Heroic actions. Sam would apply to Erkenbrand. The generic captains don't have a lot of Might and if you are not careful, it could be lost or wasted.

I guess it comes down to how close you want to follow the books in comparison to maximizing your potentials within the rules of the game. In which case, I am by far NOT the greatest person to ask.

Do you reckon people would let me get away with using " counts as" rules, for the following:

Gamling's rules to represent Guthlif - as it is Guthlif who is named as Theoden's standard bearer in the Book, or is it more on par to just take a generic mounted banner (Related question: Can a Royal Guard carry a banner? I don't have the books on me to check, and there is a model entitled "royal guard banner bearer" in the Online Store)

Eomer's rules to represent Grimbold on the Left Flank (which means no Eomer in the centre, obviously)?

Erkenbrand to represent Elfhelm on the Right Flank?

Or, can generic Captains be just as killy/supportive in leading my flankers, given Heavy Armour, Bows, Throwing Weapons & Horses?

Or, should I just abandon accuracy as I have it here, and run the army as in my post?

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.
    Per the rules, you would have to use a Royal Guard with Banner for Guthlif. That said, if you have your opponent's permission and ONLY then could you use Gamling's rules for a Counts As mini. I fear the rules concerning the Royal banner. If it was possible for Gamling to carry a plain banner then you can just do a name swap and all would be good.

Grimbold would be portrayed by the Generic Captain's rules. For a Counts As of Eomer to be allowable you would need opponent's permission for 2 Eomer's or just drop an Eomer and call the other Grimbold. Advise opponent accordingly. Name swaps tend to complicate things. Same goes for Erkenbrand.

Generic Captains just don't have the stats of the named heroes to be bulked up to represent them. Eomer will still have better Fight, Courage, Might, Will & Fate than a beefed up Generic. While the Generics could easily represent Grimbold and Elfhelm, substituting a Named Character for them is pushing the envelope too far without making concessions and asking for permission.

With LotR, the armies are inherently very flexible. You can mix Gondor troops or even Elves from Lothlorien, the Grey Company into the mix to represent an assortment of armies from different places in the book or just for kicks. In game terms it allows you more options that can help you tailor the army to accomplish its tasks. Use Grey Company for your archers. Include Aragorn, Gimli and Legolas to represent them as the march towards Dunharrow, etc...

The choice to be accurate to the book or just to put something together from scratch will ultimately rest with you. I like to do a book based army a couple times and the rest of the time I try different combinations. I like to be creative and it is a great outlet for me.

+ Reply to Thread