Thinking of Starting LOTR - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    110 (x4)

Thinking of Starting LOTR

Me and a friend is thinking about starting LoTR after watching other people play for awhile now.
    We both play 40k and Fantasy and together we 'almost' have the entire game (every armies). At first, LoTR seems to be a Lord of the Dice game which is why I tried kept my distance, but after awhile, I picked up the rulebook and read it.. I thought, wow, there is some interesting ideas and gameplay which is totally opposite of 40k and fantasy. For example, the jump test, climb test, being able to knock models over, model formation, and etc. Especially that I play 40k WitchHunters, the Faith Power and points are very much similar to the Might/Will/Fate, it just all sparks up to me all these cool ideas and tactics, Heroic Action is too valuable.

Anyways, I would like to start an army, and I have my eyes set on the beautiful models of Khandish Warriors (I am Asian, so it's natural for me to like my own kins ). My friend is thinking about starting a Ranger army led by Aragorn. The problem is, after skimming through the army book and I found out that the Easterlings are so much more resilient than the Khandish Warriors but at the same point cost or slightly higher.. Is Khandish really worth getting at all? Easterlings seems to be superior in every aspect, including that Khamu the Easterling ringwraith... Defense 8?! :ninja:

Thanks

Anima Tactics - try it out!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Senior Member Grand Master Belial's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by nekochen View Post
    Anyways, I would like to start an army, and I have my eyes set on the beautiful models of Khandish Warriors (I am Asian, so it's natural for me to like my own kins ). My friend is thinking about starting a Ranger army led by Aragorn. The problem is, after skimming through the army book and I found out that the Easterlings are so much more resilient than the Khandish Warriors but at the same point cost or slightly higher.. Is Khandish really worth getting at all? Easterlings seems to be superior in every aspect, including that Khamu the Easterling ringwraith... Defense 8?! :ninja:

Thanks
    There is something you are forgetting. If you plan to play a Legions of Middle Earth game. Then you can easily combine the two forces and include Khamul.

The Variags of Khand have their powers in their Charioteers. Though expensive, they have a lot of flexibility in that they can fight or shoot in a turn and still move their full movement. This will help if you have pesky archers hiding behind the main lines. As there is no proper game end until the conditions are met, you can end run and get behind your opponent.

I like LotR over 40K in the following respects.
    1 - No unit cohesion. Once on the board, each model is it's own entity. I don't know how many times I wanted to just leave the Heavy Weapon behind and charge the rest of my troops in.
    2 - Priority. After the first turn, it's up in the air who'll go first in a turn. It allows one to gamble leaving his troops in the open so that he can get the charge as he wins priority. It also gets around that mysterious 6"/12cm buffer between shooty units and choppy units. All in all, some unique strategy is required here.
    3 - No set game limit. There is a clear indication as to how the battle fared. None of this, if only I had one more turn, stuff. Short for time? Use less minis. The game can be played with only a handful of models. No worrying about kill-team rules or having a HQ and 2 troops choices.
    4 - Limitless army configurations. The recent jewel to the list. As indicated above, you have a number of options in terms of allies that you can call upon. Upon the fields of the Pelennor fought multiple armies on both sides. For Evil there were orcs, supposedly Corsairs and the Haradrim not to mention the Nazgul. For good you had Gondor, Rohan and the armies of the Fiefdoms, the Dead of Dunharrow as well as the Grey Company and Gandalf and a portion of the Fellowship. Not bad variety for one that wants to tinker with different combinations.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

110 (x4)

Thank you for the suggestion.

If I am to play from 'The Legions' book, how fair would it be? I am talking about cheesiness. I would not want to start an army (much like the Fantasy Storm of Chaos) and be called cheese all the time. (

I have worked out an army list with the two combined.

Khandish King on chariot
    Khamul on horse
    2 Khandish chariots with bow
    4 Easterling Kataphrakts with sword and shield
    7 Easterling Warriors with sword and shield
    7 Easterling Warriors with spear
    7 Khandish Warrior with bow

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by nekochen View Post
    Khandish King on chariot
    Khamul on horse
    2 Khandish chariots with bow
    4 Easterling Kataphrakts with sword and shield
    7 Easterling Warriors with sword and shield
    7 Easterling Warriors with spear
    7 Khandish Warrior with bow
    Let's see:

521 pts Total - need to pair it down (3 Warriors or 1 Kataphrakt and a Warrior) or bulk up to 750 pts.

By my count you have 29 models, you can have 9 Models with Bows. Which you have so even with a reduction of 2 models you can keep all the current bows. 3 will cost you a bow.

Not a bad list, just be wary of Khamul's Will. He's only good in a scrap with Warriors no Heroes so that he can regain his Will. Otherwise he'll be banished quickly. Keep him back and let the warriors bash it out. As long as Khamul is causing Terror and reducing courage. The good will have to send Heroes to get him. That is the where the cavarly will be needed.

The King should do well and as he is also a banner, that will help the Charioteers and the Archers if they are close.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

110 (x4)

521? I thought I calculated to exactly 500... OH RIGHT, the list that I did only has 18 Warriors in total.

6 Khandish Warriors with bow.
    6 Easterlings with sword and shield.
    6 Easterlings with spear.

Anyways, I've just witness a game of Khamul on the Fel Beast.. I've only got one word for it.. WOW. Khamul on Fel Beast is a monster! I've looked up on his point cost and is wondering, if he'll be worth taking on a Fel Beast in a 500pt game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x1)

Khamul on Fell Beast would eat up a very hefty chunk of points. I try to keep the heroes to be no more than half my points. Though you have decent troops, Evil always do better in greater numbers.

My two coppers. But you can try it if you want. Nothing is stopping you.

ex-tookool126 DieHardSaintKildaSupporter's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's what i though too a year ago. I took a look at lotr and thought gee this is cool isn't it. but in reality it is pretty much a lotr board game. there is not much strategy needed, you can just counter the heroic move and roll off for it. The jump and climb tests are used maybe once a game if you're lucky. The fights are extremely uninteresting, how many times do u want to roll for the same orc vs elf battle? The game also awards quantity over quality 2 orcs are almost always better than an elf. While lotr has some absolutely stunning minis, it doesnt go any deeper than that.
    Signed Sealed Saint
    Fortius Quo Fidelius

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

110 (x4)

That is not true, although I must admit it is what I used to think before I started this game. Mind you though, I have been playing 40k/Fantasy for over 4 years now, playing on an almost daily basis, one game every day. I still find LOTR to be the "most-fun" game... maybe it is fresh to me or maybe it's a 3-seconds heat for me. As for the non-tactical comment, I would have to say that is not true at all. There is strategy involved DURING the movement phase and movement phase only. You have to consider alot of "what-if's" during the game, and find a best way to counter it. Maybe sometimes the game doesnt go as you had planned, some really awkward dice rolling or insane amount of luck may change the battle plan, but that goes with every Games Workshop game. While it's true that 2 Orcs *may* be better than an Elf and quantity does supercedes quality in this game, but then there are strategies on how to avoid being gang-banged. Take some archers and thin their number down from range, or use your dstructive hero (Boromir/GilGalad/etc) to wade through their support by calling Heroic Combat thus isolating their Orcs in combat.

I don't know why, but I just love this game Ever since I started playing LOTR, I have been buying models after models, and I couldnt stop playing this fun game... it's a great game to play for taking a break. I think people too, should try out this game before giving out their silly comment like I did

On a side note, this game really shines when it comes to castle siege :happy:

ex-tookool126 DieHardSaintKildaSupporter's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh i spent a lot of money on lotr allright, one day i finished painting all of my models and took them to my games workshop and it stunk. i dont know what ur talking about in the movement phase i play mordor and all i have to do is move the whole army forward orcs hit on 5+ so they're no use. i pretty much swamp them with orcs and i either win or lose simple. and heroics can be countered and u just roll off for it, how strategic........
    Signed Sealed Saint
    Fortius Quo Fidelius

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

110 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by tookool126 View Post
    Oh i spent a lot of money on lotr allright, one day i finished painting all of my models and took them to my games workshop and it stunk. i dont know what ur talking about in the movement phase i play mordor and all i have to do is move the whole army forward orcs hit on 5+ so they're no use. i pretty much swamp them with orcs and i either win or lose simple. and heroics can be countered and u just roll off for it, how strategic........
    So you just move everything forward, and you either win or lose? Do you play 40k? By what you are saying now, you are suggesting Tyranids, Khorne, or even the shooty aspect of Tau and Imperial Guards require no strategy? Because all they do is either move forward or shoot. What about the all Dire Avenger Eldar army? Surely, all games workshop games requires zero strategy dont you think? Even an all respected fantasy game requires little strategy when you play mostly Chaos Knights and Warriors? Why not, all you do is move forward and you either win or lose.. that simple. lol?

I don't know who you are playing against, but if you try to 'outnumber' your opponent at where I play, you'll quickly be shot down before you even get into combat. If you take an all warg rider army, you'll go down in a split second with a 60 points Arwen and her Nature's Wrath.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast