2k List Defensive+tactics. thoughts appreciated - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2k List Defensive+tactics. thoughts appreciated

Ok, Defensive List take 2. Basically, this list relies on missile fire to whittle the enemy down, receiving their charges with your skeletons, then following up with a powerful counter attack from chariots and Ushabti.

Lord:

Tomb King. Chariot, Chariot of Fire, Flail of Skulls

Heroes:

Liche Priest (Hierophant). Cloak of the Dunes, Hieratic Jar
    Liche Priest. Dispel Scroll (x2)
    Tomb Prince. Great Weapon, Scorpion Armor

Core:
    25 Skeleton Warriors (Hand Weapon, Bow). Standard Bearer, Musician
    3 Chariots. Standard Bearer, Icon of the Sacred Eye

Special:
    3 Ushabti
    3 Carrion

Rare:
    Screaming Skull Catapult, Skulls of the Foe

There you have it. Some thoughts on deployment; The king should be placed with the Chariot unit. The Hierophant should wander as needed behind your battle line, taking advantage of the cloak of the dunes. The secondary liche priest can be placed behind your line. The tomb prince should be placed in a unit of skeleton archers. The archers should be spread laterally to increase the number of shots each unit can put out, but also shielding the counterchargers from the line of sight. Once the enemy approaches close enough, use magic to reform them into 5x5 fighting blocks (if your opponent has a lot of magic defense, reform them beforehand in the preceding movement phase) to receive enemy charges. Since the skeletons are unarmored and ...well skeletons, they probably won't win the combat. However, 25 models with a standard should provide these units with enough static combat resolution to stay in the fight without getting wiped out entirely, especially if you've done your job with missile fire. Once the enemy is good and stuck in against these units, hit them in the flanks with your counter-chargers, and use as much magic as you can to replenish the ranks of your bowmen. With enough numbers in your bowmen units or enough kills on the countercharge, you should break the enemy. Carrion are added as an extra to march block (a slower enemy is more susceptible to missile fire), hunt war machines, and cut down fleeing troops.

As far as character's go I've picked and kitted them to perform specific battlefield roles. With respect to the liche priests, the hierophant is equipped to move away from danger if it comes to close, and the other is my scroll caddy. I opted for the Tomb King to be on foot with the bowmen. Where he can help them stay in the fight after receiving a charge. His great weapon can cause a good amount of return damage, and the scorpion armor will help soak up excess wounds incurred if you lose combat (don't kid yourself, even with the fighting prowess of the tomb king, getting charged by anyone is a big risk, especially for unarmored missile troops). I’m not too concerned about a ward save or stronger protective item, since smart players will opt to direct their attacks against the skeletons anyway to rack up more kills for CR. The crown of kings is there to increase the strength of the kings incantations, letting you have extra rounds of shooting early in the game and reforming his unit into a fighting block when needed. With no bound items on this list its important for the other incantations to get through and the crown increases the likelihood of forcing your opponent to use 2 dice to dispel. If you expect to face an army with lots of hard cavalry like bretonnians (which won’t take much damage from bowfire anyway)or uber characters like vampires or lizardmen (who can conceivably take down the king) don’t hesitate to swap the crown out for the Golden Ankhra. The prince I decided to put with the chariots to add hitting power to their countercharge, which the prince will add with 3 s5 attacks and the d6+1 impact hits caused by his chariot. The icon of the sacred eye makes the unit more accurate, and the sheer number of hits can easily shred lighter targets apart, while Ushabti with their s6 attacks make great can openers for counter-charging armored foes

Last edited by CultOfTheHydra; January 30th, 2008 at 18:34. Reason: The whole (*&^ thing needed revising

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

King of Librarium's Tombs Phoenix's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    579 (x8)

Interesting, a ''Defensive'' list with no Casket or SScs, but a Bone Giant instead. I think youll suffer a lot against anything that doesnt advance at you.

Scorp armour isnt a good choice for the King, taking it means youre aiming to loose combats basically, not a good tactical decision, especially when your aiming to win through static combat res, then its just a waste of points anyway. Also, being a magic item, you cannot take it twice.

If youre going for a Defensive list id definitley look at a restructure, with 2 SSCs or 1 and a Casket. With a TK and TP, the Casket will help your magic too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

good point, about the scc and casket, I was trying to avoid war machines and simply go for heavy countercharging but I guess logistically I kindof need them, even though the skellies can advance. As far as scorpion armor goes, I stand by the decision to include it. I AM planning on losing combats because I've been charged a lot and I know what happens. With effectively unbreakable troops though, and sufficient numbers, winning 1 combat is all that matters. The prince can wear Armor of the ages though, that would work. Thanks

King of Librarium's Tombs Phoenix's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    579 (x8)

In order to survive Combet Res though, your Characters must forst survive combat. With the lack of a decent save, both will be wounded quite easily. Look at the Collar for the King, or even the Golden Ankrah, and for the Prince, Collar if the King doesnt, or Vambraces to go with the Armour of Ages.

+ Reply to Thread