Complete change for HEX (Army List 2k) - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Complete change for HEX (Army List 2k)

Hey guys, this list has changed since i last posted it, basically my old list was a bit 1 Dimensional and didnt compete in all phases of the game so i took it back to basics (this was after several maulings mind you) and tried to make sure that i had an army capable of competing in the movement, shooting and combat phase. Obviously to make all this possible a strong magic phase was required to glue the whole thing together!

Heroes

Tomb King with Collar of Shapesh and Destroyer of Eternities
    Liche Priest with Cloak of Dunes and Hieratic Jar (usually hierophant)
    Liche Priest with Skeletal Steed and Staff of Ravening
    Liche Priest with Casket of Souls

Obviously the major change here is the casket, its use is limited against certain armies but the -1 mod. to enemy casting and the ability to soak up two or three dispel dice/magic phase is just priceless, against the strong magic opposition out there <cough> VC <COUGH> Tzeentch Daemons, it also allows more important incantations to get through

Core

20 Skeleton Archers with Full Command
    19 Skeleton Archers with Full Command and Banner of the Undying Legion
    3 Chariots

Probably the most significant change in the list, is the archer units. I was never a fan of these guys until i started using them in large units, one casting of smite can get you twenty shots, yes they hit on fives and they are only strength three but that is still a very possible 78 shots in a turn, taking up just two castings and they still work well as a tarpit in CC if reformed until the chariots, Ushabti and Scorpions can come to their aid! No armour save does make them a little flimsy but i find skellies die in droves against good troops any way so it is best to not overburden them points wise.

Special

4 Ushabti
    2 Scorpions
    3 Carrion

Carrion and Scorp's are still in the list, but the Tomb Guard have been swapped out for four Ushabti, this is another unit i have changed my mind about. High Strength attacks are rare for TK's and they offer a nice balance to the massed S3 Skellie attacks the army generates. Enemy charges the skellie bowmen, skellies die but unit remains, counter charge with ushabti, 12 S6 attacks, enemy unit dies or flees, job done. On a more serious note i do agree that SW can perform the same role as TG for a much lower points investment, and the Ushabti simply do more damage in combat whilst the skellies provide the static CR.

Rare

1 SSC with Skulls of the Foe

A bit of a step down from my 2xSSC soapbox is required here but i do believe now that the list has a better balance and it can still benefit from two shots a turn magically if facing large monsters or heavy infantry such as dwarves.

As always guys comments and critiques are always appreciated!

HEX

Last edited by LOTHAR-HEX; May 31st, 2008 at 00:27.
    How do you expect to defeat me when I am forever and you are just a man...

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

King of Librarium's Tombs Phoenix's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    579 (x8)

I swaer ive seen this list somewhere bef... ahhh yes, mine!

Heh, with a few differences obviuosly. But im not going to suggest any changes towards my list, no need, this is very nice as it is

Quote Originally Posted by LOTHAR-HEX View Post
    Probably the most significant change in the list, is the archer units. I was never a fan of these guys until i started using them in large units
    See, what did i tell you (though a while back) but hey, hopefully more people will see this and believe me when i say bows in large units are good!
    Last edited by Phoenix; May 29th, 2008 at 21:33.

ewd
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LOTHAR-HEX View Post
    Core

20 Skeleton Archers with Full Command
    19 Skeleton Archers with Full Command and Banner of the Undying Legion
    3 Chariots

Probably the most significant change in the list, is the archer units. I was never a fan of these guys until i started using them in large units, one casting of smite can get you twenty shots, yes they hit on fives and they are only strength three but that is still a very possible 78 shots in a turn, taking up just two castings and they still work well as a tarpit in CC if reformed until the chariots, Ushabti and Scorpions can come to their aid! No armour save does make them a little flimsy but i find skellies die in droves against good troops any way so it is best to not overburden them points wise.

HEX
    Just curious, how on earth do you deploy a unit of 20 to get all shots off? The only way I can think is if they are on a hill, and gone into 2 units of 10 with 2 ranks. Also, unless you have a big hill this could be a problem with the casket because of blocking LOS (not to mention the SSC floating around near there)...or am I mistaken?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    579 (x8)

Shoot at large targets, or enemies on a hill. Even in 5x4 form. they get 20 shots

Or, go 10x2 and on a hill.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    48 (x1)

or psycho crazy like me and 20 wide (done that in 2 games now it really throws your oponent off)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

579 (x8)

Why? lol. Thats 2 turns of reforming, if you lose 1st turn then the 1st thing you'll have to do is reform. ANd how does the rest of your army fit in around them?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
    Why? lol. Thats 2 turns of reforming, if you lose 1st turn then the 1st thing you'll have to do is reform. ANd how does the rest of your army fit in around them?
    I try and deploy them 10x2 on hill or 20x1 on the ground when you reform that unit individual models can move 8" when reforming regardless of normal undead movement restrictions (there was a post on it a while back i believe). The whole 1x20 formation is 40cm wide which is about 16 inches across (8 inches from extremity to centre) if my ruler is correct, its lied to me before! By my logic this means this unit can reform in one turn not two.

Also i like this formation because you can gauge the point at which the unit will reform and prepare units behind this line who can charge the flanks after said reform.

HEX

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

579 (x8)

Its not the movement thats a problem, but if you want to be able to shoot (i,e not reform, but just add ranks) then you can only add 2 ranks of 5 a turn, hence the 2 turns (i think, been a while). I guess a full reform would be ok for a single line of 20 though, interesting.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you reform the unit into 20x1 from 5x4 you can actually fire in the following shooting phase so long as you are willing to expend a smite incantation on the unit in the magic phase which counts as the missed turn of shooting in the same manner as an SSC which misses a round of shooting due to a misfire roll of 2 or 3. In the turns actual shooting phase they can then shoot as normal, as they have effectively missed one round of shooting caused by the reform. (I think this is in the Tk army book but cannot remember for sure)

HEX

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    48 (x1)

nope hex has it exactly right. use the 20x1 to to get a **** load of arrows off untill the enemy is close. then right when their one turn from charging you reform into a 5x4 block, and really if i wanted to i could spend the magic phase to allow them to shoot in shooting. but i really find 5 shots with 5 to hit and 4/5 to wound really inefectual so i just pretend nothing happens.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast