1000 Tomb Kings, friendly, beginner - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1000 Tomb Kings, friendly, beginner

Ok, so, hi! I've just started the Fantasy Battle, with the Tomb Kings. My friend is also starting the hobby with me, using the Wood Elves. Now the thing is; I have no idea about what the Wood Elves can do, and, vise versa. All I know is, that they have some deadly shooting units and they're relatively fast. I've been looking some ideas and some of you will notice that I'm actually missing 105 points. I would really, really appreciate any ideas you can offer for how to use 'em. To cut the chase, here's my list so far:

Tomb Prince 129
    Great weapon, Collar of Shapesh

Liche Priest 135
    Cloak of the Dunes

Liche Priest 123
    Mounted

19 Skeleton warriors 196
    Hand weapons, shields, light armour, Full command

15 Skeleton archers 120
    Bows

3 Skeletal Chariots 120

Tomb Scorpion 85

Screaming Skull Catapult 90

I'm not sure about the Skulls of the Foe upgrade on the catapult, so I'm willing to drop it, in which case I would have around 130 spare points to use. Maybe some heavy cavalry? As I'm planning on starting with the battalion boxed set, I could use the horsemen, instead of only the skeletons and the chariots. I would also, on top of all the latter, like to hear what would (in general) be a good choice against the pointy-eared ones. Thanks for reading all this and I'll hope to hear from you!

Last edited by Clearasil; September 22nd, 2008 at 07:39.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

King of Librarium's Tombs Phoenix's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    579 (x8)

Welcome to the Legions fellow King

At 1K, you may find you struggle a little vs WEs to begin with, but stick with it! Things only get better for you

Your list looks good. Against WE, often they have many Skirmish and Immune to Psych units, so drop the Cat. upg.

The Battalion is a great start, make those Cav into light ones, the speed and bows are handy for picking off weak targets.

Definitely consider a unit of 3 Carrion too, very handy to have to add some much needed speed and tactical advantage.

However, the best place to spend points for now is on another Priest, your magic is key to your army.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I took off the Skulls of the Foe and added a mounted Liche priest. Any other suggestions? Should I take off the catapult and add some Light/Heavy cavalry? I really like the models.
    Last edited by Clearasil; September 22nd, 2008 at 07:44.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    579 (x8)

Personally i wouldnt remove the Catapult all together, its the most lethal thing TKs have generally. The only issue with fighting WEs is that they are all skirmishers that you mostly see. However, if you ever have to face a Treeman or Treekin, it is so valuable its almost unreal. No armour or ward saves for the trees, and flaming doubles wounds!

If you like the models, then you should take some... How would you feel about having your main skellie unit as bowmen instead of with HW/S/LA? See HERE (Common points made when commenting on lists) for my opinions.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I really wouldn't like to field two big units of bowmen. How about if I change the Hw/s/La unit to Heavy cavalry? Like 5-6 horsemen with full command and use the other points on to my characters.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

579 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Clearasil View Post
    I really wouldn't like to field two big units of bowmen. How about if I change the Hw/s/La unit to Heavy cavalry? Like 5-6 horsemen with full command and use the other points on to my characters.
    If you want Heavy Cav, you really need a unit of 10+.

Not two unit, just one.. basically i was thinking:

19 Bowmen + Music + Banner (+Champ?)
    5/6 Light Cav

For your Core options

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Both, me and my friend, decided that we expand the armies to 1500, as we both found out that we couldn't fit in all the models that we liked the look of. So, I'll be expanding the army to 1500 points soon and I'd like to hear if the Heavy horsemen or Ushabti are of any use. Thanks!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

579 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Clearasil View Post
    Both, me and my friend, decided that we expand the armies to 1500, as we both found out that we couldn't fit in all the models that we liked the look of. So, I'll be expanding the army to 1500 points soon and I'd like to hear if the Heavy horsemen or Ushabti are of any use. Thanks!
    Ushabti: definitely Use a unit of 4 (ideal as there are 4 different model types)

Heavy Cav, if you like them, use them! best advice to give. A unit of 12 in 6x2 form works well, give them Muisc + Std + magic banner (Warbanner or BotUL)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think I'll remove the bigger block of skeletons, add a unit of Heavy Cavalry, Ushabti and Tomb Guard.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

579 (x8)

Having both Ushabti and TG in any list, let along one at 1500, really digs into your special choice and points options. Stick with normal skellies over TG, you have the Ush for some hitting power, and the skellies are cheaper for numbers.

+ Reply to Thread