Tomb Kings 2000 points (comments appreciated) - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    (Un)Official LO Map Maker Cannibal God's Avatar
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    162 (x3)

Tomb Kings 2000 points (comments appreciated)

Tomb King (Will join the unit of chariots)
    -Armour of the Ages
    -Shield
    -Sword of Striking
    -Chariot
    =283

Icon Bearer
    -Sword of Might
    -Light Armour
    -Talisman
    =102

Liche Priest
    -Brooch of the Great Desert
    -Cloak of the Dunes
    =165

16 Skeleton Warriors
    -Light Armour
    -Full Command
    -Swap bow for spear and shield combination
    -Banner of the Undying Legion
    =210

16 Skeleton Warriors
    -Light armour
    -Replaces bows with shields
    -Full Command
    =169

16 Skeleton Warriors
    -Light armour
    -Carry bows
    -Full Command
    =169

6 Chariots (Tomb King on chariot will join this unit)
    -Full Command
    -Icon of the Sacred Eye
    =340

8 Heavy Horsemen
    -Full Command
    =163

1 Tomb Scorpion
    =85

3 Ushabti
    =185

1 Screaming Skull Catapult
    -Skulls of the Foe
    =110

That will add up to 1991 points. Fairly simple army. It's a bit of an all-rounder army. using magic and shooting to weaken the enemy. Then take them in combat. The large unit of chariots and the ushabti can be used to take out large/tough units and even special characters maybe. The scorpion can use its 'it came from below' special rule to take out artillery and units of archers hanging back. Solid blocks of troops with the heavy horsemen flanking will deal with the majority of the enemy army. Hopefully they can match them with numbers and having the icon bearer among one of those units will help you beat them in combat. The priest will stay behind the large units of skeleton warriors, using his magic to hurt the enemy and bring back some of your own soldiers. Fairly easy army to understand. I also have some painting tips for people starting Tomb Kings, so just comment and I'll give you some details if you like. Enjoy!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x2)

Hi,

Just looking at the list and there is one think which I first noticed that you might want to think about... its your character. Personally I would never bother with something like the icon bearer... sure its the only way to get a BSB in the list but they just don't add anything really to your army, as they aren't the best character in combat. Also you only have 1 Liche priest. Personally in 2000 points you should have at least 2 Liche Priests and 1-2 tomb prince/kings. So look at getting some more characters

In your core I like the units of Skelles with Hand weapons, sheilds and light armour they can be a real solid block... spears though I am not a fan of, they cost too many points and don't seem to do enough for me personally. I would drop the unit of spearmen and spread the points evenly across the hand weapon and sheild unit as well as the bowmen. Give the Banner of the undying legion to the hand weapon and sheild unit... You must always rememeber that fear works best in large units and unlike VCs we can't extend unit size above the starting number.

The 8 heavy horse seem to be a bit funny personally I don't run heavy horse and take light cav instead. mainly because they give you that extra bit of shooting in your army and I also find that Heavy Horse don't really hit the enemy hard enough. If you run a unit of light cav you can get I find a little extra out of them.

Your Unit of chariots is huge and doesn't need to be so large, they are a flanking unit so split the unit into 2 units of 3 as units of 3 chariots work quite nice, get rid of champion and musican in the unit and just make sure that they have the standard in both units... give the Icon of the sacred eye to one unit and throw your Tomb king on chariot in that unit.

The Tomb Scorpian in great, the Ushabti are a bit funny though, they work better in 4s then 3s so either try and find a way to slot in a 4th one in or drop them altogether. Personlly I would drop them and in place you could slot in another Liche Priest and about 3 carrion, as carrion can be nice for slowing that enemy advance as well as annoying enemy war machines. It also adds a bit of support to the Tomb Scorpian...

I hope these ideas get you thinking about the list I can't really comment on the magic items as I don't have my army book handy. Just remember don't be afraid to go nuts on your characters as in tomb kings you need a powerful magic phase and characters to do your killing in combat. Also remember that a large units of fear causers is better than 2 small units...

Anyway hope this helps you.

Cheers
    There is nothing more annoying when your Wyches with Plasma Grenades get "Always strikes First" for their combat drugs!

(Un)Official LO Map Maker Cannibal God's Avatar
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    162 (x3)

Great advice

Thanks for that advice, I agree with most of what you're saying, looking back at the list. I think I tried to get a combat heavy army without focusing on the characters as much as I should. I actually like the spearmen, with the attacks over the additional save. So I'll keep that on one unit. The chariots: I think I'll halve the size of the unit and with the Tomb King that will make 4. I'll get a Liche Priest on a horse from the point I save. He'll have a skeletal steed and maybe a hieratic jar. Since he isn't the hierophant, I can place him in a little bit more danger. Heavy Horsemen? I don't know what I'll do with them, may change them for light horsemen or keep them the way they are. But either way, they'll still fill a support role. The ushabti, well if I can, I would upgrade them to a unit of 4, but with their higher movement. I figured I'd just use them as a flanking unit to take out some tougher enemies. Icon bearer, I like the ability he gives to my units, and with the sword of might he helps out with challenges and tougher units. I think I'll keep him though.

Appreciate the advice, anything else would be lovely. I'll post the revised list when I formally make these changes.

+ Reply to Thread