Spears or HW /1000 pt beginner - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Spears or HW /1000 pt beginner

K so im newish to Tomb Kings and ive seen in the army lists that people tent to take hand weapons and not spears with the skeleton warriors but all my friends who have played fantasy for a while say that spears are mandatory. Are they mad or should i believe them? This is my 1000 pt list any suggestions are welcome

General

->Tomb prince --->154
    -Spear of Antarhak
    -Talisman of Protection
    -Light Armor
    -Shield

Hierophant

->Liche Priest --->160
    -Cloak of the dunes
    -Dispel Scroll
    Core Units

->Skeleton Warriors (15) --->160(with HW) or 175 (with spears)
    -Light Armor
    -SPEARS or HAND WEAPONS??????
    -Champion
    -Musician
    -Standard Bearer (Banner of the Undying Legion)

->Skeleton Archers (16) --->128

->Chariots(3) --->210
    -Champion
    -Musician
    -Standard Bearer (Mirage Standard)

Special Units

->Tomb Guard(10) --->190
    -Champion
    -Musician
    -Standard Bearer (Icon of Rakaph)

TOTAL= 1017pts
    I was planning to put the Tomb Prince in with the Warriors and the Liche Priest would fly around and raise dead were needed. All suggestions to strategy or army make up are appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I personally like spears over hand weapons for the two ranks of fighting. but you can buy spears but still use the hand weapons and spear as you see fit in a match. switching them out here or there for the save or the ranks. but you dont get spears 2 rank bonus when your charging so it's a very even trade off imo.

I just don't think it wise to let my hierophant run solo... prob best to start him with a group, and if needed he can fly off to do stuff, but leave him solo in my experience he'll get a big bullseye painted on his model.
    and until you have a tomb king in your army your chariots still count as special the prince unfortunately does not nil this little downside.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Personally, if I had to choose between HW or Spear warriors....I would choose HW. I don't expect my skeletons to kill anything. Maybe a model per combat round. I would rather them have the better save so they can last longer so something that CAN actually do some hurtin' can support. Plus they are fewer points. If you have a big unit of 25+ warriors your saving yourself 25 points using HW's instead. Thats your Banner of the Undying Legion right there.

That's all my opinion though. But so far i've only used bows.

Edit: Do you have any Ushabti models? I think 3 (or 4) Ushabti will do you better than only 10 Tomb Guard. If the Tomb Guard were a bigger unit, maybe use them. But with only 10 your getting 1 rank, not that great for CR.

I would drop the Tomb Guard, pickup 3 Ushabti, then you have 25 more points for skeletons or magic items.
    Last edited by Akundis; March 17th, 2009 at 05:14.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

See the only restrictions on models is actual cost (money wise) so ushabti are really expensive and im really only willing to spend liek 50 -55 bucks a month on warhammer so i was gonna pick up a box set of tomb guard then id have 20
    Imperial Guard- Canon Fodder of the Imperium

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    34 (x1)

just a few points:

your skeleton warriors can't take a magic banner unless you have a TK leading the army

I would perhaps lose the command and magic banner from the cahriots (the impact hits are the thing that do the damage - the crew are only there to look good)

have you thought of taking another Liche Priest, your magic will be more effective if you do.

Ushbati will have more hitting power than the 10 tombguard although they will probaly cost 1.5 times what the 10 Tomb guard cost.

at 1000pts consider a GW for the Tomb prince - saving another 50pts
    Finally getting round to finshing my Tallarn Imperial Guard Army (2K)
    Everything else has been sacrificed on the Altar of eBay...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

if you were actually looking to modify your army list with something you'd purchase...

i have to say that Scorpions are well worth the investment. only would have to get one which makes them cheeper then say a unit of ushabti, or a unit of guards money wise. also despite popular belief around my store, tomb swarms are well worth the points for even just 1. they can be scouts if you think you would need them to be for games. they come in a two pack for like $10, 90 points 10 swings with poison and 10 wounds is a pretty good value even without using the option of playing them It Came From Below to handle ballistas or whatnot. I'm just a big fan of scouts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for all the help guys but i still dont know what to take spears or hand weapons because i haven't given my skeletons arms yet so im looking for some answers in that departement

King of Librarium's Tombs Phoenix's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    579 (x8)

When i first started, i was told by a TK player (the only one i knew at the time) that Spears were best. And how i regretted listening to him It does all come down to personal preference ofcourse, but i think the majority of people prefer the bonus save over the extra atacks, due to the poor statline of skellies (and cheaper cost)

After ripping the spear arms of my skellies off and giving them HWs, i played a few games... after which the arms came off AGAIN and replaced with bows. And they havent gone back since

On the Ushabti/TG matter, id recommend Ushabti. Even if you only buy 1 per month, they are awesome. Whereas TG lack any serious killing power (look great on paper unit) and otherwise are just expensive skellies (numbers).

Finally, comments on the list:

Prince: Drop the ToP and shield for an Enchanted Shield, boost his save a little to a decent-ish level.

Priest: Id say drop the scrrol, i dont think its necessary at this level where you are already stretched points wise. What i do think is necessary is a second priest, just a basic naked one, to add some much needed offensive magic power (most armies can easily shut down TP + 1LP magic at 1K).

Skellies: Hand Weapons... or bows if i can tempt you lol. Only add Music and Standard bearer, no champ needed really. Try and boost them up to 19, adding the Prince for a full combat unit. They cant take a magic banner yet.

Skellie archers: Drop to 12 maybe, or boost to 20 IF possible (adding music in this case).

Chariots: Unit of 3 in 1K, upgrades are fragile, easily lost and cost you a lot. Drop the Champ, Standard Bearer and Magic Banner. Also note, they are special unless you take a King.

Tomb Guard: Personallly, dump 'em. Get in a Scorp or two, or an SSC, or some carrion.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well im convinced to drop the tomb guard but i figure ill just leave the arms off till i know which way i want my skeletons. I'm gonna get either ushabti or carrion and ill be playing against skaven and wood elves mainly. So any tactical advice is apreciated

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well if you do get some tomb guards your gonna want the rest of your skellies to be turned into archers eventually sadly. and against skaven primarily your gonna want as many of them dead before they get to you or vice versa as possible.plus archers reformed into blocks become just as good in melee if you invest a few points for light armour they end up equal to the spear n shield skellies save wise so that's what i would do in your situation. and carrion over ushabti i think.

+ Reply to Thread