2250 Tourney List - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2250 Tourney List

I've been going to one of the biggest Warhammer tourneys for the past 4 years or so, and this year will be my first year taking TK. I think the tourney has 100+ fantasy players, so the competition is pretty stiff. I'm going in with a goal of 3 wins and 2 ties or losses. I'm confident that I can beat most of the players, but I know there are some armies right now, that, even when played horribly, can still be super nasty. So, here's my list as of now.

Tomb King - 271
    -
    Destroyer of Eternities
    -Collar of Shapesh
    Liche Priest - 330
    -Casket of Souls
    -Dispel Scroll
    -Dispel Scroll
    Liche Priest - 168
    -Skeletal Steed
    -Staff of Ravening
    Liche Priest - 163
    -
    Hierophant
    -Skeletal Steed
    -Hieratic Jar
    -Talisman of Protection

Skeleton Warriors( 20 ) - 220
    -
    Full Command
    -Bows
    -Icon of Rakaph
    Skeleton Warriors( 20 ) - 160
    -
    Bows
    Skeleton Warriors( 10 ) -
    -
    Bows
    Skeleton Light Horsemen(5) -
    Skeleton Light Horsemen(5) -
    Chariots(3) -
    Chariots(3) -

Tomb Scorpion -
    Tomb Scorpion -
    Ushabti(3) -
    Screaming Skull Catapult - 110
    -
    Skulls of the Foe

Total 2247

I really want to bring a bone giant, but due to its cost and ease of dying, I'm gonna leave it out for the tourney. I still run him in friendly games, cause I love the idea of an undead giant. I'm really hoping for my opponent to miscast on a 5 or 6 so I can pop off the CoS during his magic phase. I got it once against my roommate, and it was awesome. Might have been the game winner actually. Anyways, let me know what you think

Last edited by Phoenix; April 21st, 2009 at 03:28.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

The Fabulous Pyramids and Necropolis of Lost Lybaras
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    78 (x1)

I'd ditch the Casket of Souls and beef up the 20 warrior unit as much as I could. In all the times I brought the casket, it never paid for itself, but maybe that was just me. I do think you should bring 3 liches though. Beef up your main skeleton unit so you can auto-break foes that lose combat to you due to fear, and to prevent losing the unit altogether in a bad turn.

Well, I did play TKs for awhile, and that is what I would do. But I'm no expert

Frankie

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've actually done very well with the casket. My view on it is, even if it never goes off, its still extremely effective. Someone who has played against it in the past, will generally save 3 dice or scrolls every turn, giving you more opportunities to get off magical charges.

The other thing is, that I play against people that know the dangers of the casket and the best ways to deal with it, and its still pretty good. The only time I can remember losing it, was due to a magical weapon that my opponent didn't tell me about(dealing d3 wounds per wound caused), which gave him a surprise overrun into the casket.

I have considered dropping it and have played a few games without it, but as of now, I think its just too good, and I'm really excited to get in a couple of games against people that haven't played against it yet and don't know how sweet it is. But thanks for the idea. I definatly think a more rugged larger block of skeles would be nice. Ideally, I'd like to upgrade that unit to Tomb Guard, cause I have the models and they are really nicely painted, but I just can't get the points. If I drop the casket, I will definatly do that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you really wanted TG, I would suggest dropping the 2 units of light cav, the unit of 10 bowmen, and the command on the 20 archers. I have never found our cav in general to be overly effective, and I never run any command models in my archer units...they seem to do fine without them. This way you could keep the casket

That should give you enough points for 20 TG and some command models Magic banner may be a squeeze though, but with your heavy magic I don't think it will be a huge problem.
    Last edited by Akundis; April 21st, 2009 at 00:17.

King of Librarium's Tombs Phoenix's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    579 (x8)

Get rid of the Hieros steed and ToP, replace them with the cloak

Skellie Warriors cant take Icon of Rakaph im afraid, so thatll need dropping. Replace with Banner of the Undying Legion. Im assuming your King joins that unit.

Id suggest dropping the 10 bowmen to free up some points, the nice large bow units are good and can hold themselves in combat too.

A 4th Ushabti is a near-must. 3 are just a bit too fragile at anything above 1K.

Maybe drop 5 Cav and replace with 3 Carrion?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good call on the cloak. I use Army Builder and when you add a steed, it takes that away as an option, which after while, i guess I just forgot about it.

Is there a reason why warriors can't take the banner? I thought if you ran a King, 1 unit of warriors could take a magic banner, and I know the description on the banner specifies that warriors can take it. I don't have my book with me today, so I can't double check until tonight.

As for the carrion, I would absolutely love to, but I don't have the models yet. I don't paint myself, so I have to wait for my friend to get some free time to paint me up some carrion. Oh how I wish they were US2 though.

And finally the 10 bowmen. I have been back and forth on the 10 bowmen vs another Ushabti. The problem with my games is I'm constantly playing against good players that just ignore the bulk of my army and kill the important stuff, ie, Ushabti, so I've started the trend of only taking 3. Maybe for the tourney I'll ramp it back up to 4 though. Thanks for the suggestions.

King of Librarium's Tombs Phoenix's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    579 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Lordsoth3 View Post
    I thought if you ran a King, 1 unit of warriors could take a magic banner, and I know the description on the banner specifies that warriors can take it. I don't have my book with me today, so I can't double check until tonight.
    They can, but the skellies banner is capped at a 25pt one. The reason for ''skellies'' being able to take it is to ensure that an Icon Bearer with it can only join skellies (or TG)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yep, you're right. I forgot about that restriction. That's what I get for relying constantly on army builder. Now I need to redo my list to fit in some tomb guard. That banner is just too nice to not take.

+ Reply to Thread