New to Tomb Kings, 2k friendly - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New to Tomb Kings, 2k friendly

Hey everyone, I just went out and bought the Tomb Kings book yesterday after admiring the army for a long while, and playtested a few proxy games. The skellie bowmen rock against skirmishers and such, and I really like the reliability of the army, in contrast to my "main army", the Skaven.

Here's a 2k list I slapped together today. It's meant for friendly play, but my opponents include Lizardmen, extremely magic-heavy O&G, and Dwarfs, so I will definitely have my hands full.

-Tomb King w/ Destroyer of Entities: 240

-Hierophant w/ Cloak of the Dunes: 135

-Liche Priest w/ Hieratic Jar, dispel scroll: 165

-Tomb Prince w/ flail, chariot, Chariot of Fire: 172

-24 Skeleton Warriors (bows): 192

-24 Skeleton Warriors (bows): 192

-4 Chariots: 160

-24 Tomb Guard w/ standard, Banner of the Undying Legion: 265

-3 Ushabti: 195

-Tomb Scorpion: 85

-Screaming Skull Catapult: 90

-Screaming Skull Catapult: 90

The basic idea is as such. Anchor the center with skeleton bowmen and tomb guard. Stick SSCs where they will have best shots, use Ushabti to flank and cause serious damage. Have the TP and his Chariot of Fire ride with the other 4 chariots, seriously ruining the day of whoever they run into. Tomb Scorpion does its thing.

I have a few concerns about the army, and maybe you TK veterans can steer me straight.

First, I'm worried about magic, both on the offensive and defensive side. My lizardmen and O&G opponents usually bring a level 4 and two level 2 mages, with the lizardmen player usually bringing an engine of the gods as well. With only 4 dispel dice and one scroll, I feel as if I will get massacred in the magic phase, and won't be able to get off any usefull incantations due to the sheer number of dispel dice my opponents will be packing (Dwarfs in particular)

Second, do I have the combat ability to stand up toe-to-toe with guys like Hammerers, Black Orcs, Saurus, and the such? I've been trying to beef up my skeleton units to absorb the charge, but I can't decide if this is a good idea or just a habit I have from rolling 30 Clanrats deep as Skaven...

I really do love the look and the feel of the army, and the fact that it's one of the most balanced armies GW has ever released. Any and all advice is welcome!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    47 (x1)

The only thing i would change would be the config of the prince and the King. I'd deck the King out in chariot and let the prince slog it with the skeletons. You'll get more out of the King if you put him with then higher movement units as you'll be able to get him to the right place instead of waiting for the enemy to come to you all the time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    53 (x1)

For anti-magic, one thing to think about is use your Tomb Scorpion to go mage hunting. He's pretty good for that. Unless you trade out your TP for a LP, or your TK for a HLP, you are stuck with finding points for dispel scrolls (or the dispel wargear you can put on TP/TK, name slips my mind right now)
    I would at all costs find points to upgrade your SSC with Skulls of the Foe. That will pay off very well for you.
    The lists looks fairly good though. Magic/Anti-Magic armies may kill your magic, but this is a friendly list right?
    FYI: Lose=To not win Loose=To not be tight There=A place Their=A person's They're=They are

King of Librarium's Tombs Phoenix's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    579 (x8)

List looks pretty decent Characters are fine, pretty standard.

One thing that is necessary, get the Ushabti up to 4 strong. They can hold their own far better then (and go toe to toe with many opposing units in combat, as per your need)

(Note: TG + Ush are very expensive in the same list. Personally id always go with Ush, as TG really lack the effectiveness in game that they seem to have on paper. Just my opinion though.)

Chariots, drop 1. Running them with the Prince for 4 wide total is as wide as youll want to be. Maybe add a standard, and possibly even a magical standard.

As you say, against magic heavy opponents, yourmagic phase may suffer a little. Just try and get some key early SSC shots in against their key units. (On that note, upgrade both SSCs! )
    You could always swap out an SSC for a Casket for a magic boost.
    However the fact they are runing 4 mages means that you have no pesky and/or combat orientated character to worry about. So your King/Prince are free to beat up whoever they choose

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Spotify

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    115 (x5)

Quote Originally Posted by MatticusMaximus View Post
    The basic idea is as such. Anchor the center with skeleton bowmen and tomb guard. Stick SSCs where they will have best shots, use Ushabti to flank and cause serious damage. Have the TP and his Chariot of Fire ride with the other 4 chariots, seriously ruining the day of whoever they run into. Tomb Scorpion does its thing.

First, I'm worried about magic, both on the offensive and defensive side. My lizardmen and O&G opponents usually bring a level 4 and two level 2 mages, with the lizardmen player usually bringing an engine of the gods as well. With only 4 dispel dice and one scroll, I feel as if I will get massacred in the magic phase, and won't be able to get off any usefull incantations due to the sheer number of dispel dice my opponents will be packing (Dwarfs in particular)
    The problem can easily be solved by adding a Casket... Of course, it will force you to erase something pretty - You have to consider if it's worth it It's pretty much like a Screaming Bell, Hahahaha

Second, do I have the combat ability to stand up toe-to-toe with guys like Hammerers, Black Orcs, Saurus, and the such? I've been trying to beef up my skeleton units to absorb the charge, but I can't decide if this is a good idea or just a habit I have from rolling 30 Clanrats deep as Skaven...
    You will not be able to take out the Units one-on-one You have to sync your army, make use of Fear and Terror (which makes alot of the Skellie Price ) and go hard on one unit at a time.

Focus your SSCs on the base points of your opponents army, and his units will indeed sonn be fleeing It's just a matter of time,,, If one unit flees, the easier it will be to make Sandwiches of the rest, hehehe

Hope It Helps!

Ask Nagash! Click on the banner...
    WiP TK Army!

+ Reply to Thread