New to fantasy, could really do with some help. - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    54 (x2)

New to fantasy, could really do with some help.

2000pts

Heroes

Liche priest
    Armour of the Ages
    Talisman of protection

3x
    Tomb prince
    Shield
    Light armour

Core

4x
    15 Skelletons

Special

5 Ushabiti

3x Tomb Scorpion

Rare

2x
    Bone Giant

I'm looking at starting fantasy and this is a tomb kings army list ive come up with. What do you think? The idea is to throw 60-120 arrows at the opponent each turn while moving forward. The Ushabiti stay behind the bowmen to keep them shielded. The bone giants march ahead to shield the bowmen. While this is happenening the tomb scorpions jump out and ambush enemy ranged units and warmachines.

Ye Old Necrons (R.I.P.) (7000pts) W52 D5 L9
    New Crons!!! (5000pts) W1 D1 L1
    Blood Angels (2500pts) W4 D0 L1

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

68 (x1)

Hi Shas.

If you're new to fantasy then the first place I would encourage you to look is in the beginners guide to TK that Phoenix wrote a while back. That will give you a good grounding in TK that will set you on the right track.

http://www.librarium-online.com/foru...omb-kings.html (A Beginners Guide to Tomb Kings)

One caveat:
    TKs have a fairly steep learning curve at first so the list you posted may not be an ideal place to start. It's not that there is anything wrong with your list per se, (indeed it could be made to work quite well with a bit of tweaking), only that it seems a bit quirky for a new army to learn the TK basics with.

That being said then, I'll offer what advice I can on your list on the assumption that this style of army is one that you have your heart set on.

You really need to use our infantry blocks in units of at least 20 or they will get butchered. Skeletons do not win combat by killing things, they win by maximising combat res and then aotomatically breaking enemy units because they cause fear and outnumber opponents. This is perhaps the crux of TK strategy and you will not start to win games until you learn how to put this into action. For that reason I would use the bowmen in 3 units of 20.

Your lich (high?) priest cannot wear armour and the talisman is generally considered an unreliable choice. I would suggest giving the priest the Cloak of the dunes while you are learning how to keep him alive. The Golden ankhara or (more usually) the Collar of shapesh are ideal ways to add a ward save and keep your heirophant in one piece.

You will be very light on magic defence with only one liche so I would be more comfortable swapping at least one of the princes here. A few scrolls and a brooch of the great desert will help make the opponents magic phase less traumatic for you in the early turns (and hopefully your scorpions will be able to assassinate some of their casters after that).

You might also like to consider adding a couple of bound magic items to the list since these will help you overwhelm your opponents dispel dice. The banner of the undying legion comes immediately to mind here.

4 Ushabti are usually more than enough (if you use more then you will probably have problems maneuvering them and ranking them up).

Great weapons are well worth a few points on the princes since we usually strike last in combat anyway.

Bone giants are not a favourite of mine personally (though they do have their following). The catapult is half the cost and will really help you with your opponents big beasties. If you haven't bought the giant models yet then you may want to proxy them to see if you like them.

Hopefully some of this was useful Shas. I would definately take a look at the beginners guide before you settle on a list though as that will really help you understand the way the army works and make informed choices much easier for you.

Good luck!
    Because Sun Tzu would play Tomb Kings...

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

54 (x2)

Thanks a lot. I haven't bought any models and im just looking at various codexes to try and find out what i like. At the moment im leaning more towards dwarfs and lizardmen but the advice has been really helpful. Rep.
    Ye Old Necrons (R.I.P.) (7000pts) W52 D5 L9
    New Crons!!! (5000pts) W1 D1 L1
    Blood Angels (2500pts) W4 D0 L1

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Spotify

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    115 (x5)

Just want to be subscribed to this Thread

Vallah nailed it

//Nagash, the Hierophant

Ask Nagash! Click on the banner...
    WiP TK Army!

King of Librarium's Tombs Phoenix's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    579 (x8)

You can subscribe to a thread without posting. Simply look under thread tools at the top of the thread No need to add a spam post that way hehe.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Spotify

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    115 (x5)

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
    You can subscribe to a thread without posting. Simply look under thread tools at the top of the thread No need to add a spam post that way hehe.
    Ok, thank you Phoenix I guess that I still got much to learn in LO, especially when it comes to different kinds of tools

However, watch out for me I'm an EVIL man MOUHAHAHAHAHAHA!

//Nagash, the Hyperactive Post Spammer

Ask Nagash! Click on the banner...
    WiP TK Army!

+ Reply to Thread