Khalida 2k need suggestions - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Khalida 2k need suggestions

Hello all,

I'm starting a TK army after beeing away from WHFB for a couple of years, mainly fighting skaven.

Lords and heroes:

Tomb Queen Khalida 420
    General

Lich Priest 160
    Hierophant
    Hieratic Jar
    Cloak of Dunes

Lich Priest 330
    Collar of Shapesh
    Brooch of the Great dessert
    Casket of Souls

Icon Bearer 107
    Icon of Rakaph

Core

10 Skeleton Bowmen 100
    Blessings of the Asp

10 Skeleton Bowmen 100
    Blessings of the Asp

10 Skeleton Bowmen 100
    Blessings of the Asp

3 Chariots 126
    Blessings of the Asp

2 Tomb Swarms 90

Spec

Tomb Guard 271
    Full command
    Banner of the Undying Legion
    Queen and Icon bearer join this unit.

Tomb Scorpion 85

Rare

SSC
    Skulls of the foe 110

Total pts.1999

By the way, with brooch of the Great Dessert i can dispel a spell that i failed to dispel with dice right? and also use as a regular dispel scroll?

I've been thinking of removing the chariots, and adding another scorpion, but im not sure if thats a good idea, since chariots usualy do a nice lot of damage, i dont know how it is with tombking's chariots though. The reason i want to do this is so that i can tunnel one and leave one with the casket for those nasty tunneling rats.

Please let me know what you think about this list.

Thanks in advance.

ps: also posted this on dakkadakka, so if it seems familiar thats why.
    I dont think allot of tomb king players are arround at dakkadakka and i've made previous mistakes with armies, and would like to have some good TK player tell me how it looks first, and maybe what i could change before i go arround buying and painting this list.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    68 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by Thag View Post
    By the way, with brooch of the Great Dessert i can dispel a spell that i failed to dispel with dice right? and also use as a regular dispel scroll?
    Sadly not. The brooch is effectively just a normal dispel scroll but you can take it on a non wizard (liche priest).

Trust your instincts and keep the chariots. They are our best hammer unit by far, you'll be glad you kept these in.

Khalida is tricky (but not impossible) to use effectively at 2k. This is simply because of her enormous cost -nearly 25% of your entire points limit. So if you are going to use her then you'll need to get the most out of her by using at least one of your bow units in a group of 20. Not only are our skellies more effective in units of 20+, but you will also find Khalidas uncounterable smiting much more efficient on such a unit.

The much maligned Icon bearer is a truly awful character. I can understand why you would add one, but you will be so much better of with either a prince or another priest. There are a few reasons why, but suffice to say nobody uses them.

You only have 2 of your 4 special slots filled (Khalida counts as a tomb king so chariots are a core choice). This is unusual because most of our truly outstanding stuff -like scorpions- compete for these spaces. For this list I would drop the swarms and add a unit of carrion. 3 will be more than enough in this list since they will probably be used to march block your enemy and give your bow dudes more time to raid down the poisoned goodness.

If you ever find youself in the enviable position of having an empty special slot -always fill it will a scorpion even if you can't think of anything better to do with it. These are arguably one of the very best units in the whole of WHFB and you simply can't go wrong by adding more of these puppies.

IB aside, your list looks pretty decent and should do quite well once you get the tactics down. Good luck bud!
    Because Sun Tzu would play Tomb Kings...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks allot for your reply, indeed rightious smiting should go on a unit of 20 bows... i think i might go drop the icon bearer for it, as you say its not a good character, however i just had it for the free reform, i will miss the banner of undying legion then though.

Anyways, are tomb guard good body guards for khalida, if i drop those i can add some more bows? I dont realy see much lists that include tomb guards, thats why im questioning them, but i feel putting khalida in a regular skeleton unit might be too weak. However since undead dont flee they might be allright afterall.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    47 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by Thag View Post
    Thanks allot for your reply, indeed rightious smiting should go on a unit of 20 bows... i think i might go drop the icon bearer for it, as you say its not a good character, however i just had it for the free reform, i will miss the banner of undying legion then though.

Anyways, are tomb guard good body guards for khalida, if i drop those i can add some more bows? I dont realy see much lists that include tomb guards, thats why im questioning them, but i feel putting khalida in a regular skeleton unit might be too weak. However since undead dont flee they might be allright afterall.
    Just so there is no doubt whatsoever, the best recipient for the irresistible smiting incantation is the catapult, by a million miles its the catapult. Unless you are going to deploy a unit of 20 archers in a single line (and thereby taking up about 1/3 of your deployment zone by themselves) you are only going to get 10 shots tops with them anyway.

I'm very worried about your magic phase, you have what 2 incantations at 2D6 and the casket. If you want any magic (other than Khalida's) to go off ever, you need to swap the icon bearer for another priest.

[Incidentally, the way I read the rules an icon bearer cannot carry the Icon of Rakaph since it stipulates it can only be carried by Tomb Guard or Skeleton warriors and he is neither.]

Combine the skeleton archer into one unit of 20-25 and one of 10, then swap the swarms out for another scorpion. You might have to drop the skulls of the foe to make the points fit, but that icing anyway.
    The art of Eldar: Paint clean, play dirty!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Khalida

Lich Priest
    Hierophant, Hieratic Jar, Cloak of the Dunes

Lich Priest
    Steed, Staff of Ravening

Lich Priest
    Casket, Collar of Shapesh

12 Skeletal Bowmen
    Blessings of the Asp

12 Skeletal Bowmen
    Blessings of the Asp

20 Skeletal Bowmen
    Blessings of the Asp, Banner, Musician, Banner of the Undying Legion

Tomb Scorpion
    Tomb Scorpion
    3 Ushabi
    3 Carrions

SSC

I lose chariots and tombguard, but gain bows, ushabi and magic!

Any good? better or worse then first list?

Thanks in advance,

Tha

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

68 (x1)

Swapping the chariots for the 3 ushabti is definately a backward step IMHO.

Ushabti are a hammer unit, they have absoloutely no other purpose. That is not a bad thing in itself since you will always need hammers, but they are horrendously expensive for what they do. A chariot unit will perform the same hammer function for a lot less points, can use poisioned bows and have a longer movement/charge range.

Just like their similarly overcosted friend the BG, the best reason for taking ushabti is simply because you like the models. Nothing wrong with that, but because Khalida is also so expensive this is an extravagance you really can't afford in a 2k Khalida list.

This swap would also leave you with enough points for a unit of light cav to put the SoRav priest in.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ahh allright, i think it will be chariots and light horses then

Thanks for the reply!

i love the way ushabi look but im afraid they will be jezailed mostly anyways, i will get chariots and horseys in the batalion this way it will be abit cheaper so ill have my army done faster... so this is much better for me too.

Removed Musician from 20 bows and ushabi, added 3 chariots and 5 light horseys with blessing of the asp.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    34 (x1)

Yeah, if you're going with Khalida then you want to fit in as many bows as possible. You could save a few points and drop blessing of the asp from the light horsemen and the chariots if you would like. I would only buy it on the bowmen because they are who you will be casting smiting on for you shooting.

I'm glad to see that you dropped the icon bearer. A priest is just as good because he can raise between 1 and six back to a unit per turn, so it really makes the Icon bearer's ability laughable.

I'm also glad to see that you went with the priest instead of a prince.

The carrion will need to be 5 strong in order to march block, so it's good to keep that in mind. Right now they will only be able to hunt warmachines effectively.

The light horsemen might do well at march blocking, you'll have to test it out and see.

Good luck!
    Currently Playing:
    Fantasy: Daemons (Angels), 40k: Black Templars

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was kind of worrying tonight.... how do i manage to kill stegadons, steam tanks and the like with this list or tomb kings at all? i guess with poisoned shots? But im afraid that someone walks all over me with two stegadons or the dragon high elf and dark elf lists, has this ever been a problem for you? all other armies have means to kill monsters and i just cant see enough in tomb kings at this point.

Ill mostly just play casualy, but might want to take it further in the future and im hoping im not starting something ill regret, honestly if this would occur i wouldnt mind having tomb kings since their just awesome looking but im not sure i want to go to fast this time, as i did previously with chaos space marines for 40k only to find out 3 months later a new book arived and half my army was unable to fit in a list together

Thanks for the replies!
    Last edited by Thag; October 17th, 2009 at 10:18.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

68 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by spaar View Post
    You could save a few points and drop blessing of the asp from the light horsemen and the chariots if you would like. I would only buy it on the bowmen because they are who you will be casting smiting on for you shooting.

The carrion will need to be 5 strong in order to march block, so it's good to keep that in mind. Right now they will only be able to hunt warmachines effectively.
    If you're gonna run Khalida then you'll want the blessing of the asp on as many bows as you can afford IMHO. This also includes the chariots and light horse if you can find the points.

Carrion do not need to be 5 strong to march block. The only real reason to take 5 is to gain the effects of crossfire and maybe a table quarter. In a Khalida list (that is all about the number of poison bowshots you can put out) there is just no reason to take 5 carrion since they will certainly end up sacrificed on the altar of march blocking anyway.

BFMs (big flippin' monsters) are the bane of new TK players and you will often see threads that begin with How do I deal with XXX... Fortunately we have a few options here. Obviously you can use poisoned arrows against some of these but the best weapon we have is the SSC since it effectively negates armour and regeration, this is one reason why Spiney Norman noted that the SSC is the best candidate for Khalidas uncounterable smiting. You also have the option of march blocking them with carrion/light cav etc and redirecting them (preferably onto difficult ground or into the charge arc of your hammer unit/s). Finally, you can take down anything if you can throw enough combat res at it. This is a lengthy topic all by itself though so I would encourage you to check out the other threads that deal with this specifically.

TK are a tricky army to get to grips with. The learning curve is a steep one and you might well get your bum handed to you repeatedly in your first few games.
    When you get to that point (and frustration is starting to set in), I would encourage you to go back and read the beginners guide Phoenix wrote a while back -particularly the bit about winning battles with combat res. Then read it again. And again until eventually you can field your units effectively and can trust them to do the business.

Tomb kings are a counter intuative army. They do not win the way people think they should. They do not win by killing things, (chariots aside) they win by combat res. It takes a while to really come to terms with this since it goes against all common sense and logic, but when you do get to this point you will start to win a lot more often because a well played TK army can give anyone a run for their money.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast