Tournament list 2250p comped - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tournament list 2250p comped

Alright, posting a list here which I would love to get some useful feedback on. My biggest concern is that I won´t be able to test any lists prior to the tournament for various reasons so I´d better get it right the first time!

Anyway, the tournament is also comped which is why the list lack in the magic deparment (among other things!).

Tomb King
    DOE
    CoD

Prince
    FoS

Liche Priest
    Skeletal Steed

Liche Priest
    Skeletal Steed

20 Skeleton Warriors
    Bow
    Standard
    Champion

20 Skeleton Warriors
    Bow
    Standard
    Champion

5 Skeleton Light Horsemen

5 Skeleton Light Horsemen

20 Tomb Guards
    Icon of The Sacred Eye
    Standard
    Musician
    Champion

4 Ushabti

4 Ushabti

3 Carrions

2 SSC

As you can see the list is pretty much point and click with diverters, marchblocker, ranks, killingpower and firepower all baked in, or so I hope! Ushabti and ranked blocks give me comp bonus, double SSC is a lot on the negative side of comp. Hope that clarifies the reason to take 8 Ushabti! So, feel free to digest the list and return with some horrible enlightenment.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    68 (x1)

Hi N1k0demus, welcome to LO.

Your list looks quite solid and should do pretty well for you. It's always a bit harder to comment on comped lists because you never really know what might be a weak choice by accident -or one that was done on purpose with a view to a better comp score... So I guess I'll offer an opinion on what works best mechanically IMHO and you can make your own mind up if it is worth any potential comp hit or not.

I greatly prefer chariots over ushabti for an all comers list but I note you mention ushabti get a bonus so fair enough. Since he has the FoS, I would still be tempted to put the prince in a chariot unit though or you might find it difficult to get the best out of him (this is also where I would put IotSE).

Icon of Rakaph is generally considered a stronger choice than IotSE for TG, but will probably incur a comp penalty for that very reason of course. I would also use BotUL on the TG before IotSE though (actually I would always put BotUL in any list it was eligible for TBH).

Do scorpions attract a comp hit in this tournament bud? I have this recurring nightmare where I'm not allowed to use any scorpions at all...

One area where I think you might struggle is -as you noted yourself- in terms of magic. Without any of the usual items that can help here like BotUL, SoRAV, scorpions or the casket of souls, your magic phase is likely to be decidedly underwhelming methinks.

The casket would probably be more valuable to you in the grand scheme of things than the 2nd SSC. Although the CoS often attracts a comp pen in its own right, this generally pales into insignificance when weighed against the dual SSC combo.

On a general note, I wonder if you have considered using a HLP instead of the king? Although I always run a king myself, I can't help but think that you aren't getting the best out of him if you don't run any chariots at all? All you're really getting for his points at the moment is access to DoE... and since your list is essentially a HLP type list anyway, maybe this is something to think about?

Hope that helps bud.
    Because Sun Tzu would play Tomb Kings...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanx for the invitation. ^^

OK, I've read your comments and decided for a radically different approach. All this talk about chariots made me think twice and so I present to you and upgraded version! Mind you it's the same comp value (20 out of max 25 with 15 being lowest). Looking at the comp value, this should be regarded as a medium hard list.
    Me thinks its a bit harder than that, the princes unit is a bit of a one hit wonder but they'll never leave home without 5 movement spells and so should always get the charge. In the Swedish comped tournament environment, 7 PD is considered to be a lot. 5 Movement spells is basically unstoppable.

Tomb King
    Destroyer of Eternities
    Cloak of the Dunes

Tomb Prince
    Flail of Skulls
    Chariot

Tomb Prince
    Flail
    Chariot

Liche Priest
    Dispel Scroll
    Dispel Scroll
    Skeletal Steed

Skeleton Chariots x 3
    Icon of the Sacred Eye

Skeleton Heavy Horsemen x 5 <- Liche Here
    Champion
    Standard

Skeleton Warriors x 22
    Champion
    Standard

Tomb Guard x 22
    Banner of the Undying Legion
    Champion
    Standard

Ushabti x 3

Tomb Scorpion

Carrion

Bone Giant

Screaming Skull Catapult

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

68 (x1)

Well seeing as it is that time of year again, I've got a (belated) Christmas pressie for you bud.

This is the (comped) 2250pt list Harry Dixon used to win this years New Zealand national tournament. Harry scored really well in the comp scores department (there's no casket or dual SSC combo for example), and he won all six of his games with this list too. Enjoy:

Tomb King - Great weapon, Golden Ankhra, Brooch of the Desert = 246pts

Tomb Prince - Chariot, Flail of Skulls = 190pts
    Liche Priest - Skeletal steed, Heiratic Jar, Dispel Scroll = 173pts
    Liche Priest - Skeletal steed, Staff of Ravening = 168pts

21 Skeleton Warriors - Bows, Banner of Undying Legion, champion = 213pts
    5 Light Horsemen = 70pts
    5 Light Horsemen = 70pts
    3 Chariots = 120pts
    3 Chariots = 120pts
    3 Chariots = 120pts

20 Tomb Guard - Icon of Rakaph, champion = 304pts
    Tomb Scorpion = XXpts
    Tomb Scorpion = XXpts
    3 Ushabti = 195pts

Screaming Skull Catapult = XXpts

Total = 2249pts
    Whatever else you decide, I suggest you think long and hard about the bone giant. They are simply not suitable for tournament play IMHO.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Vallah View Post
    Well seeing as it is that time of year again, I've got a (belated) Christmas pressie for you bud.

This is the (comped) 2250pt list Harry Dixon used to win this years New Zealand national tournament. Harry scored really well in the comp scores department (there's no casket or dual SSC combo for example), and he won all six of his games with this list too. Enjoy:

Whatever else you decide, I suggest you think long and hard about the bone giant. They are simply not suitable for tournament play IMHO.

OK,

If that's the winner list then I guess chariots is truly the way to go. I've made a new list and maybe you can check it out and see if it can work the way I hope. My plan is to keep the two princes in the IotSE chariot unit and use the other chariots to flank. The princes chariot unit will just hit everything head on. Scorpion will assist to make sure the princes don't get flanked. I'll move the king to the HH unit with liche to get max incantations when i need them. That's 6 movement spells with the hieratic jar. I comp 20 out of 25 max wit this list.

Tomb King
    DOE
    CoD

Tomb Prince
    FoS
    Chariot

Tomb Prince
    GW
    Brooch of the Desert
    Chariot

Liche Priest
    Skeletal Steed
    Hieratic Jar
    Dispel Scroll

Chariot x 3
    Standard
    IotSE

Chariot x 3

Heavy Horsemen x 5
    Standard

Skeleton Warriors x 25
    Champion
    Standard
    Musician
    Bows

Tomb Guard x 22
    Icon of Rakaph

Ushabti x 3

Carrions x 5

Scorpion x 1

SSC x 1

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

68 (x1)

Well I would certainly drop the HH if I were you, these are never worth the points IMHO. In any event i wouldn't put a standard on them or you are just giving away the 100 victory points for a captured standard.

Otherwise the list looks pretty good and should do well for you.

The only thing I'm not sure about is having two princes in the one unit. This should work out really well but I usually only use a single prince in such a chariot unit so I'm not sure if this will be overkill or not. I'd certainly be interested to know how that works out for you if you try it though.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    320 (x8)

hi there people of the damned!

i was reading through this tombkings board (apparently this place is a great place to find goblin tactics) and couldnt help notice you guys are speaking about comped lists as if the comp rules are set. Is there a basic/default list of comp rules that explain comp lists like N1k0demus' and the one from Dixon's tourney?

@N1k0demus' list: those carrions instead of a second scorpion might very well work in your favour. i agree with the banner in the HH, i would love to score those extra 100 victory points. those feeble boys really do not deserve the name Heavy cav
    good luck on your list

@ dixon's list: Nothing but Respect!

Waaaaagh!
    Eternal Newbie

Warchief Diggah o da Bloodmoon Squiggahs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

68 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by Digger View Post
    Is there a basic/default list of comp rules that explain comp lists like N1k0demus' and the one from Dixon's tourney?
    Not as such, no. It varies a great deal from country to country and even region to region. Some of the more organised/high profile events will post more structured details of comp scoring prior to the tournament, but more often than not it is a more or less subjective score decided by the tournament organiser/s.

There are generally a few commonalities that typically influence the score though:

Double rare or double special choices are often penalised. (eg. twin SSCs),
    Especially potent magic items (eg, Destroyer of eternities),
    Especially potent combinations (eg. Icon of Rakaph on Tomb Guard),
    Particularly nasty single units (eg. Casket of souls),
    Focused 'magic heavy' lists.

Obviously there is a lot more to it than that, and some tournaments also assign bonus comp points for using a 'weaker' army like OK or BoC and assign blanket penalties for armies like DE or Demons. It all just depends on where you're playing

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's correct Vallah, and in my case the magic is heavily penalized for the TK. Each PD above 7 counts as double in terms of penalty which means having a list with 9 PD would count as 11 PD. 11 PD gives you a penalty of 4 points in comp, and that is massive. Each comp point is worth 75 victory points at the start of the game with 25 being max and 15 being the lowest. If you meet an opponent that has 15 comp and you got 25 then you have a head start of 750VP.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    42 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by n1k0demus View Post
    That's correct Vallah, and in my case the magic is heavily penalized for the TK. Each PD above 7 counts as double in terms of penalty which means having a list with 9 PD would count as 11 PD. 11 PD gives you a penalty of 4 points in comp, and that is massive. Each comp point is worth 75 victory points at the start of the game with 25 being max and 15 being the lowest. If you meet an opponent that has 15 comp and you got 25 then you have a head start of 750VP.
    And that's why I like to bring my orcs to tournaments, a lot easier to balance them out for the comp score. But I have to agree with Vallah, your list is sollid, there's not much else you could do with the TK list, aside from fire magnet chariots (but that idea has already been brought up). If you're anything like me with your TK in tournaments you'll go 2-2-2. But don't TK only have 2 power dice? Or is the directer of the tournament in question claiming the amount of incantations you use count as PD? Although at least you're going to be on a n equal playing field when it comes to magic, so long as people purposefully avoid the penalty. Anyway that's just me.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast