<2000 1500 very first army list - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1500 very first army list

this is my very first TK army list im happy if you ripp it apart and point me in the right area
    i have never played with TK and its more about fun than winning for me (skaven 7th ed )
    i havn't added any magic items so i have 177 points to spend on them
    lords
    tomb king 170
    heroes
    liche priest 115
    core
    3 chariots
    full command 170
    8 light cav
    full command 147
    16 archers 128
    16 skeletons
    hand weapon & sheid
    full command 153
    total 598
    rare
    2 screaming skull catapults
    skulls of the foe 110 each
    bone giant 220
    total 440
    total points 1323

i am after themeing the whole army on the film the mummy returns
    so i was going to add a big unit of 6 ushabti
    i also want to add some tomb guard
    many thanks in advance for the help

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i am fairly new to TK myself so can't be much help, but from what ive heard and the few experinces ive had with our light cav, i would say they are not the way to go the points could be better spent on more bow men and a scorpion. Chariots are def not what they use to be. They can be good but in a different way than 7th ed. and i personally would always include the scorpion but i try to fit 2 in if i do.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thanks for the input greatly recived
    the only reason i have chariots and light cav is they came in the box
    im looking at bumping the skelly squards up to 20 each which should give me another squad of 12 archers aswell
    the scorpions was an option but i thought the 2 ssc would be a better deal (will add at later date )

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As a first time TK player, I will warn you that 1500 is pretty low to get the best out of TK. But, if it's more about fun than winning you should be ok

Here's what I think (my thoughts in blue)...

Quote Originally Posted by ghostmachine View Post
    this is my very first TK army list im happy if you ripp it apart and point me in the right area
    i have never played with TK and its more about fun than winning for me (skaven 7th ed )
    lords
    tomb king 170
    (normally, I like to give him the armour of destiny, but at 1500 he'll be ok naked with a great weapon...maybe give him the ruby ring to get some good use of your otherwise unused power dice)
    heroes
    liche priest 115
    (this guy could really use the collar for sure and possibly the kanopi for those "remains in play" spells -- more use for your power dice too)
    core
    3 chariots
    full command 170
    (ok, but get rid of all command models; 3 don't need any)
    8 light cav
    full command 147
    (ditch this unit entirely and get more skellies)
    16 archers 128
    16 skeletons
    hand weapon & sheid
    full command 153
    (I would prefer all archers and larger units; but you can try both varieties of skellies for starters. I would say minimum 30 but at 1500 that probably isn't feasible, so I'll just say get to at least 20 first. And find room for the banner of the undying legion; more power dice usage and overall great banner)
    total 598
    rare
    (good, maybe can trim the skulls of the foe if you're short on points, but definitely doesn't have to be the first thing to go)
    bone giant 220
    (fairly expensive at 1500, but also harder to kill at 1500.....I really like bone giants so I would say a keeper)
    total 440
    total points 1323
    Find some scorpions and some tomb guard and you'll be all set (certainly find some scorpions, then TG second). As for the big unit of 6 ushabti, I would wait until you can up the points of your army total before you try it; it's a huge investment of points at 1500, but I'm always willing to try everything at least once so what the heck. If you want to use a unit of 4 instead of a bone giant then that should be ok, but I'm biased to the giant so I would keep him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thanks for the comments
    as stated at the top i have left 177 points for magic items as i have no idea what works
    the chariots and light cav came in the box i have just got hold of 40 more skellys so i can run 30 of each with 2 spare .
    with the cav going i can fit the extra skellys with 200 left for magic

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ghostmachine View Post

The thing about Tomb Kings is that they suck at lower points, but they get a lot better the more points you play. This is because we overpay for our models and the fact that magic is directed by characters. The more Characters you have, the better magic phase you'll have. Like at 2200 with a High priest, priest, King, Prince and Casket; That's 13 "power dice" plus the real power dice we get which can be used on Rings and Banners and dispelling Remains in play spells

lords
    tomb king 170

Good choice. Give this sucker a great weapon and some armor and he'll do fine. In fact, with his 2 spells and 4 S7 attacks, he's probably going to be what drives your entire army.

heroes
    liche priest 115

The thing I have found out about priests is that they are usually only there for healing purposes. One should be good at this level and you'll be even better off if you have the banner of undying legion someplace. Considering this guy is your Hierophant, give him the Collar of Shapesh so that he has some protection. I might even consider a second priest or maybe a great weapon Prince to boost your magic phase.

core
    3 chariots
    full command 170
    8 light cav
    full command 147
    16 archers 128
    16 skeletons
    hand weapon & sheid
    full command 153
    total 598

Ok, here's the thing. Chariots don't need full command. That's way too many points for a unit that's going to be covering your flanks or war machine hunting. Second, your skeleton units look a little small. With just a king and a Priest, you get 4 power dice to try and make them do something. People will usually have 5ish dispel dice and a +4 to dispel. Therefore, you want bigger units but less of them. That way when you get a spell off, it'll effect more models. And now that I think about it, A prince with a ruby ring would be a nice addition to your magic/combat phase.

Also, remind your opponent that he needs at least a natural 3 to dispel or else he can't use that mage to dispel anymore. It's a great thing when they start using two dice to dispel our level d6 incantations.

I would also consider some special choices. Scorpions are boss and Tomb Guard have been the Callahans of Ultimate for me so far. Nothing like attacking in the magical phase and picking off lord level characters before they even get to fight.

rare
    bone giant 220
    total 440

You can only have 375 points in rares at this level and so I would get rid of a catapult if you still want the Giant. I like my giant and it's done well for me so far and and he teamed up with the Tomb Guard are awesome. Shame I can't fit him into my 2200 list >.<

total points 1323

i am after themeing the whole army on the film the mummy returns
    so i was going to add a big unit of 6 ushabti
    i also want to add some tomb guard
    many thanks in advance for the help
    Well, I'm glad you switched over from the rats. If you like magic and having turns that take forever to end, then you'll like Tomb Kings. Our strengths are shooting and magic so play to those and you'll be fine. This also means that any normal skeleton you have should have a bow. Otherwise, he's a but useless.

-TK
    Last edited by Temujin Khan; December 15th, 2010 at 17:23.
    "My Word is Iron"
    "Show me your Friends, and I'll show you your Future"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

after reading the comments i have reformed the army list with new figures as follows
    lords
    tomb king 176
    great weapon (still looking at armour)
    heros
    liche priest 130
    Collar of Shapesh
    core
    20 archers 240
    20 archers 240
    20 archers 240
    total 840
    special
    tomb scorpion 85
    rare
    screaming skull catapult 90
    bone giant 220
    total 310
    full points cost 1421
    79 points left for armour on tomb king and/or liche
    i could go higher in points as i have spare units now
    3 chariots
    8 cav
    ssc
    3 ushabti

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you're going with 60 archers, which may be a lot for this point level, I would put them into two units of thirty. That way you can do more with less incantations. Maybe even make them one one of 30-40 and get a Prince for extra magic/hittingpower. I would also put the Banner of Undying Legion on this unit as well. I ALWAYS take this banner and it has saved me a few times. Not bad for under 30 points
    "My Word is Iron"
    "Show me your Friends, and I'll show you your Future"

+ Reply to Thread