<3000 Already looking forward to next year's Ard Boyz - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    298 (x8)

Already looking forward to next year's Ard Boyz

The theme here is something that I talked about in a thread in the TK forum...it's settra, not at the head of a column of chariots, but rather lurking behind a wide WS7 battle line... I mean, WS7 skellies for 4 points a pop? It's madness! There're a ton of WS3 troops in the WFB universe, and they'll be hitting my, dare I say it again, four point skittles on 5s...now, that's an anvil! Oh, and combine that with the mask? Scary!

Lords (740 ):

Settra

Tomb king with golden death mask of kharnut, sword of anti-heroes, enchanted shield

Heroes (365):

L2 LP (Lore of Nehekhara), dispel scroll

L2 LP (Lore of Nehekhara), enekhil's kanopi

L2 LP (Lore of Nehekhara)

Core (750 ):

60 skeletons, full command

60 skeletons, full command

20 skeletal bowmen

15 skeletal bowmen

Special (610 ):

25 tomb guard, full command

25 tomb guard, full command

Rare (535):

Heirotitan

Necrosphinx

Casket of Souls

The battle line consists of the two tomb guard units (5x5) side by side an inch apart, with the masked king in the kopesh and shield unit (obviously, to the inside, to center the mask's bubble). To the outside of them, one inch apart, the two melee skelly units (10x6). Centered behind the line, to get all four regiments inside the WS7 bubble, is settra. Also behind the line, the heirotitan and the two bowmen units (liche bunkers), and the casket. Bowmen cost more than melee skellies for the lich bunkers, but they will be a moderately decent deterrent against warmachine/mage hunting units, especially if they get double shots, since those sorts of units usually don't have too many wounds. The heirotitan is also there to countercharge, if needed. Settra really can't move out of his position without one of the anvil units losing WS7, but that's also a possibility. Necrosphinx obviously hunts hydras, hellcannons, and the like. Like my "wall of WS7?"

Last edited by Marnepup; May 7th, 2011 at 21:18.
    IG since 1999 __ DA since 2002 __ Tau since 2005 __ SoB since 2007
    Brets 1997-1999 __ TK since 2009 __ Empire since 2010

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    62 (x2)

Likes it on premise, but not in practice...

It's a great idea, however there are a lot of things that appear in this format that really give this fits.

The bunkers are easy bait for Dwellers, 13th, etc. Not to mention mass artillery fire.

Settra is alone, and very vulnerable.

Having lots of standard troops really doesn't bring enough hurt. Sure they will be solid bunkers, but you don't have enough to really come through and deal the damage once they are pinned.

I also think that sticking to the one Lore is really handicapping the ability to capitalize on Settra's boon. A combination of Light and Nehekhara really gives you a great spread of offensive and defensive buffs(including Lore attribute of Nehekhara as a defensive buff).

I think you are closing in on a good idea of how to run Settra, but it lacks any real streamlined feel. This is absolutely necessary in an environment plagued by triple HPA, Teclis + World Dragon and/or Pocket Tower, no one escapes the Quad Hydra, and so forth...

Personally, I think you need that unit of Chariots for Settra to take abode in. Gives him something to do, because in all reality, he shouldn't be taking to a defensive role. He is a pretty solid combat character.

Secondly, you need to continue with that, and go with a more offensively centric list. He passes the WS off to any non character/non mount within 6". Where are the additional hand weapon Colossi, Halberds on Tomb Guard, etc?

Skaven can pin and win because they can shoot or cast many spells into units held up by Slaves, or hit with ROgres/HPA in the flanks/rear. You need to have something to do with these guys other than hope to slowly grind them down via attrition. Just doesn't do so hot on the table from what I have seen.
    It's Adventure Time!
    2010 'Ardboyz Champion

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    298 (x8)

I think you're right...the list is all anvil and no hammer. The only other way I see to get enough use out of settra is with three blocks of chariots acting in concert...but to still cram a masked charioteer king in requires you to go over 3k... with settra and a masked king in the center unit together, that's quite a composite (three units)deathstar, but it still suffers from the steadfast rule...I guess you'd need multiple disrupting units to flank while this chariot column goes up the middle (you can't keep three units of chariots inside the WS7 bubble and the enemy/ies inside the mask's bubble while outflanking)...not really a viable concept, either.

~sigh~ Since I don't think settra's worth the points at the head of a single unit of chariots, I guess he's not a viable choice. At best, he outflanks and then also gives WS7 to the anvil for which he's hammering.

I'll just go back to my concept with the grand heiro, a L4 light mage, a casket, and heirotitan for magical dominance, and then go with hero-level melee characters.
    IG since 1999 __ DA since 2002 __ Tau since 2005 __ SoB since 2007
    Brets 1997-1999 __ TK since 2009 __ Empire since 2010

+ Reply to Thread