<3000 2500 pts Constructive criticism and suggestions welcome - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2500 pts Constructive criticism and suggestions welcome

Brief and Constructive criticism welcome

Core
    40 Skeleton Warriors, Full command, Spears (Joined by TP & Necrotect)
    10 Skeleton Archers (Joined by LP)
    10 Skeleton Archers (Joined by LHP)
    4 Chariots, standard and musician

Special
    19 Tomb Guard, Full command, Halberds, Warbanner. (Joined by TK)
    3 Necropolis Knights, champion
    Tomb Scorpion
    3 Carrion
    Warsphinx

Rare
    Casket of Souls

Heroes
    LP (L2, Dispell scroll) - Lore of Light
    Necrotect (Glittering Scales, ES, Warrior Bane) - more interested in him staying alive than inflicting harm, his job is to 'motivate'.
    TP (Great weapon, Dragonhelm, Talisman of Endurance, Shield - I had 2 points spare)

Lords
    TK (Armour of Destiny, Sword of Striking, Dragonbane gem)
    LHP (Talisman of Preservation, Earthing Rod, Cloak of Dunes) - Lore of Nehekhara

A rough idea of how I'd use them
    Skeleton Warrios + TG = Anvil
    Warsphinx, Necropolis Knights, Chariots = Hammer
    Archers = hiding place for LP/LHP
    Carrion/Tomb Scorpion for picking off war machines/characters
    COS - Beefing up magic and targeting highly armoured units, may also hide LP/LHP here.

I play mostly against Chaos Warriors.

Last edited by tombkingmarkj; May 21st, 2011 at 14:01.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No one has anything to say?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Necrotect in the skeleton warriors is a waste he should be in the tomb guard. He also has too much gear mine just has the charmed shield it keeps him alive long enough to use the hatred and keeps him cheap (because he will die in the long run). Tomb guard i really see as more of a hammer than an anvil due to there low model count and lack of save in combat (6+ woop!)

High liche priest doesn't need a ward save when hes got the cloak hes also like 20 points over on magic items...

Put nekehara on your level 2 means you get all the good spells from the deck instead of 2 random light spells mixing in with not all the good nekehara spells =P

Wouldn't give the chariots a banner they will likely lose it :L And i would take a musician over a champion on the knights for the movement joys it brings (specially as there M7)

10 archers is probably not enough to keep each of your liche priests alive because if they shoot you down to 4 men they can snipe you out with warmachines dangerous times for the liche priest!

My thoughts =P

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey Mark,

I would also not give the lv the lore of ight, i would go for nehekhara lore. It's the only way to raise back skellies (with the signature spell).
    I am currious how you CoS will work against Chaos. I also think you 2 units of archers are to less to protect the LP's. I would put the lv o in the big unit of skellie and put our HLP in a big lock of 20 or 25 archers. Leave them bhind a the other blocks so spells are always in hand. It is hard to hit you, ( hard cover behind othe units even if the see you). You'r own penelty for shooting with the archers does'nt effect them with a 5+ to hit always. The unit also has a 6+ regen save when the HLP is with the unit. Although this is not a key to succes. I lost my LHP in a turn two shootin fase of a cannon against empire. The unit was behind tombguard and the archers turned 90 degrees the the west side of the board. The cannon went through three Tomb Guards got into the 4 arhes with 6+ regen, hit the LHP with a 4+ WS witch I failed and then gave me 3 wounds exactly... That was a change of succes of 0,08 % or something.

I also have some doubts about the Necropolis knights, but the models are so cool, that should be a reason the field them in your army.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ddd
    Last edited by Kris77; May 30th, 2011 at 22:10.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tombkingmarkj View Post
    I play mostly against Chaos Warriors.
    As do I. They're a bugger.

Brief and Constructive criticism welcome

Core
    40 Skeleton Warriors, Full command, Spears (Joined by TP & Necrotect)
    10 Skeleton Archers (Joined by LP)
    10 Skeleton Archers (Joined by LHP)
    4 Chariots, standard and musician
    Spears aren't worth it. If you get rid o them, you have 40 more points of skeletons to put into the unit. And with skeletons you want more of them. Not more attacks.

Mage bunkers look good, but maybe a little light.

I might loose the banner on the chariots. You're going to be getting your combat res through kills so the banner isn't really needed

Special
    19 Tomb Guard, Full command, Halberds, Warbanner. (Joined by TK)
    3 Necropolis Knights, champion
    Tomb Scorpion
    3 Carrion
    Warsphinx
    Nowadays, I don't really like TG. I used them with the old book only because they could kill Characters in the magic phase and they were my only combat block. Now that I got These fun new 4 point skeletons, I have no more use for them. Actually, if you trade these in for another block of 40 Skeletons, I think you'll do a lot better.

Why knights over Stalkers? Stalkers rock. They are the anti monster that our lists badly need. In my games vs Chaos, and even in general, they have made back their points each time. They snipe Hellcannons, bits of units, and even snagged one of those lvl4 Tzneetch caster 1+/3++ disk guys. I don't think I'd ever leave home with out them.

No breath weapon on the Warsphinx? If you switch the knights into stalkers, you'd be able to get those 2d6 S4 attacks.

Rare
    Casket of Souls
    Awesome. I also like Hierotitans. Boost to magic and they can beat down warriors with their stomps. not to mention they can spirit leech BSBs

Heroes
    LP (L2, Dispell scroll) - Lore of Light
    Necrotect (Glittering Scales, ES, Warrior Bane) - more interested in him staying alive than inflicting harm, his job is to 'motivate'.
    TP (Great weapon, Dragonhelm, Talisman of Endurance, Shield - I had 2 points spare)

Lords
    TK (Armour of Destiny, Sword of Striking, Dragonbane gem)
    LHP (Talisman of Preservation, Earthing Rod, Cloak of Dunes) - Lore of Nehekhara
    Ok, I know some people will think I'm weird, but I think Kings are a waste. If you're using Kings and Princes to bolster the WS on your units, a Prince is far better at it. WS 5 is all you need, 6 is just showing off. Give a Prince a 4+ ware through the preservation or Destiny armor and a great weapon and you're good to go. All for about 20 points under the base cast for a King. To beat Warriors, you're going to need to beat them through attrition. If they pick off ten skeletons, that's all fine and dandy, you have 3 units of 40. This is why I never use TG anymore, they seem to die as fast as skeletons for 3x the cost.

Which brings me to another point. WS 5 isn't going to save your skeletons alone. you need some magic. Pha's Protection makes a mess of Warriors hitting. Warrior players just aren't used to needing 5's to hit a unit of undead or really anything at all. If they can't hit, they can't get their combat res and will run. Light and Nekehara mix well together. Therefore I use 2 lvl 4's. It let's me get all the spells I need and gives me a huge variety of spells to cast. In a game, I have 11 different spells to choose from: 4 form light, 4 from Nekehara, 2 from the titan, and 1 from the casket. I never get to use all my spells and that's fine as I have the right ones when I need them.

TK strength's are numbers and magic. Play to those and you'll be fine.
    "My Word is Iron"
    "Show me your Friends, and I'll show you your Future"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Temujin Khan View Post
    Nowadays, I don't really like TG. I used them with the old book only because they could kill Characters in the magic phase and they were my only combat block. Now that I got These fun new 4 point skeletons, I have no more use for them. Actually, if you trade these in for another block of 40 Skeletons, I think you'll do a lot better.

Why knights over Stalkers? Stalkers rock. They are the anti monster that our lists badly need. In my games vs Chaos, and even in general, they have made back their points each time. They snipe Hellcannons, bits of units, and even snagged one of those lvl4 Tzneetch caster 1+/3++ disk guys. I don't think I'd ever leave home with out them.
    With thinking like this im not sure how you beat chaos warriors!

40 skeleton warriors wont kill any chaos warriors and then get sluaghtered in the process so whats the point? My tomb guard unit cuts through chaos warriors like there not there because suddenly when your WS 6 it reduces the chosen (chaos's fave unit) from hitting on 3s to hitting on 4s! The chaos player gets genrally confused =P Also your hitting regualr chaos warriors on 3s and wounding on 3s it cuts through them quickly!

Stalkers are the worse unit in the book don't take them the knights are 10 times better!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Undivided View Post
    With thinking like this im not sure how you beat chaos warriors!

40 skeleton warriors wont kill any chaos warriors and then get sluaghtered in the process so whats the point?
    Skeletons with a Prince should kill around 2 Tzeentch Warriors a turn. More if they're Khorne. They are not designed to kill things outright. Tomb Kings in general were never designed to kill things outright. It's an army of support. Warriors have a hard time dealing with our monsters. Why? because they can't wound the darned things and our monsters just turn a round and stomp them into the ground. The thing is, our monsters need to get the flank to do this, which is where the Skeletons come in. The Skeletons pin the unit in place. They may lose 10 guys in a round, but that's fine, they have 30-40 more and they can be healed. When one of our monsters gets a flank, they don't have to be worried about being combat res'd to death: Light magic says that warriors will have an even harder time hitting the skeletons and Nekehara magic says that everyone will have killing blow or even more attacks. These three things in combination just wreck Warriors. Sure there are always the "I'm going to roll 30 dice now and get 25 one's and two's" but nothing in the game can help that. With a casket and a Titan, we are assured at least 3 power dice a magic phase with 6 +/- 1 to cast, which is more then enough to get off that one spell we need. If you want to beat warriors, you have to beat them by playing to their weaknesses. They see a nice juicy block of 40 Skeletons and they're going to charge. They suck against monsters. They're all infantry. Those weaknesses all point towards using a big block of hard to hit undead which won't go away, and flank charge with a monster.

My tomb guard unit cuts through chaos warriors like there not there because suddenly when your WS 6 it reduces the chosen (chaos's fave unit) from hitting on 3s to hitting on 4s! The chaos player gets genrally confused =P Also your hitting regualr chaos warriors on 3s and wounding on 3s it cuts through them quickly!
    TG die way to fast. Sure you have Ws6 and S5, but they hit you on 4's and kill on 4's. They could easily beat that units face in. 20-30 guys just isn't enough. And with chosen? any good Warriors player is going to take a squad of Tzeentch. They're not going to have that many attacks. You can just let them charge one of you're blocks of 40 and not worry about them for the rest of the game.

Stalkers are the worse unit in the book don't take them the knights are 10 times better!
    How so? If you could please post some reasons why they are so awesome I would be thankful. I currently see them as not highly mobile one turn wonders. Since they can only go 7" a turn, they are not going to be getting flanks and with low I, they can be picked apart before they can even hit. Stalkers can at least show up wherever you want without paying extra points and turn some poor monster to stone before they are killed.
    "My Word is Iron"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Skeletons with a Prince should kill around 2 Tzeentch Warriors a turn. More if they're Khorne. They are not designed to kill things outright. Tomb Kings in general were never designed to kill things outright. It's an army of support. Warriors have a hard time dealing with our monsters. Why? because they can't wound the darned things and our monsters just turn a round and stomp them into the ground. The thing is, our monsters need to get the flank to do this, which is where the Skeletons come in. The Skeletons pin the unit in place. They may lose 10 guys in a round, but that's fine, they have 30-40 more and they can be healed. When one of our monsters gets a flank, they don't have to be worried about being combat res'd to death: Light magic says that warriors will have an even harder time hitting the skeletons and Nekehara magic says that everyone will have killing blow or even more attacks. These three things in combination just wreck Warriors. Sure there are always the "I'm going to roll 30 dice now and get 25 one's and two's" but nothing in the game can help that. With a casket and a Titan, we are assured at least 3 power dice a magic phase with 6 +/- 1 to cast, which is more then enough to get off that one spell we need. If you want to beat warriors, you have to beat them by playing to their weaknesses. They see a nice juicy block of 40 Skeletons and they're going to charge. They suck against monsters. They're all infantry. Those weaknesses all point towards using a big block of hard to hit undead which won't go away, and flank charge with a monster.
    Ok i can see how this would work!

TG die way to fast. Sure you have Ws6 and S5, but they hit you on 4's and kill on 4's. They could easily beat that units face in. 20-30 guys just isn't enough. And with chosen? any good Warriors player is going to take a squad of Tzeentch. They're not going to have that many attacks. You can just let them charge one of you're blocks of 40 and not worry about them for the rest of the game.
    Yeah my guard fought of a unit of tzeentch chosen wih shields 20 of em. My guard run banner of the undying legion because its just helps them live and the occasional augment to boost them a little bit keeps em alive just find not many wounds get through 4s then 4s

How so? If you could please post some reasons why they are so awesome I would be thankful. I currently see them as not highly mobile one turn wonders. Since they can only go 7" a turn, they are not going to be getting flanks and with low I, they can be picked apart before they can even hit. Stalkers can at least show up wherever you want without paying extra points and turn some poor monster to stone before they are killed.
    I3 isn't really that bad when you think of it lots of things are slower than that (orcs, dwarfs, ogres, lizardmen ect), they hit really hard (im talking bout a unit of 4 btw) so they get 16 WS 3 S5 attacks and 8 WS4 S5 attacks (when they charge) and 4 S5 stomps. Also due to there higher armour save they really live much longer than expected this also helps them be fairly consistant in the grind. They are one of the few units in the book that has the potential to charge in the front and win the combats consisantly. In short i think they are awsome!

And you said the exact reason why i don't take stalkers, you said for the stalkers "before they die" and thats why i don't take stalkers because they will die. Depressing i know =(

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

An other problem I have with TG is that a unit of 20 with halberds, FC , and Undying Legion banner costs 1 point more then 40 Skeletons with FC + a Prince with Talisman of Preservation. Now that I think about it, healing D6+2 guys every other combat wouldn't be too bad but considering that takes power dice and then you have your 340 point unit + a decked out king... well, For my style of play, putting 560+ points into a unit just isn't worth it. They do sound awesome though.

As for the Knights, I guess 24 S5 attacks on the charge isn't terribly bad. But I still think that they're fragile. My main opponent runs a block of Khorne halberds and all I can see is this unit charging in and getting slaughtered before they even have a chance. But then again, I see them charging a unit of knights and kicking butt. Maybe they'll do good against Tzeentch as well.

In short, I'm still not so sure I think they're awesome, but I think I will defiantly give them a try.

I guess Stalkers are for the big and slow heavily armored suckers and Knights are for hordes and or small groups of power houses. I'd like to see your list and how you get around handling monsters however.
    Last edited by Temujin Khan; June 1st, 2011 at 23:30.
    "My Word is Iron"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast